Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2022, 07:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Going to Memphis and Nashville, anyone have a favorite for both areas?

Going to Memphis and Nashville, anyone have a favorite for both areas? Traveling in a 40' 2015 Dutch Star and flat towing a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

We should be going to Memphis first and stay a week then off to Nashville for another week. It will be our first time going there and would greatly appreciate any and all recommendations on where to stay and especially what to see. Thanks in advance
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #2

EZ Daze RV Park

When passing thru Memphis we always stay at:

EZ Daze RV Park
536 W E Ross Pkwy, Southaven, MS 38671
(662) 342-7720

Very easy access
Easy access for big rigs
Clean, well maintained, well managed
Safe
Reasonable cost
RV store immediately in front of park
Lots of restaurants

I don't consider it a destination RV park, you wouldn't go to the park to spend you vacation hanging out. But if you aren't spending a lot of time in your RV then it is a great RV park
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:24 PM   #3
Community Moderator

We have stayed at "Tom Sawyers RV Park". It is right on the Mississippi River and is a nice clean park. You can see the Memphis skyline from the park, but not much to do there.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:28 PM   #4

Nashville Shores. Not a favorite, but it was the only place we stayed a few years ago. It’s attached to an amusement park, but the park is probably closed till the spring. It’s near the airport so it may or may not be close to whatever you want to see in Nashville. Decent place from what I remember.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:57 PM   #5

Memphis is a TOUGH town, be careful. West Memphis is over the river in Arkansas. Be careful over there too. Beale Street in Memphis is a blast, especially if you like blues music. I'm not an Elvis guy so I never bothered with the whole Graceland thing. I did drive by it and was very surprised by where it is.

Nashville is a great bar and honky tonk town. I'm not big on country music, but if you are, it's the country music capital of the world. It's hard to be bored in Nashville. Corky's and Rendezvous BBQ are two of the best BBQ joints you'll have the pleasure of eating at. If you like BBQ hit them both, neither will disappoint you. Have fun!
Old 02-01-2022, 09:43 PM   #6

I lived and worked in the Memphis area a decade or so ago...

It's one of those festering doo-doo holes that I love and hate. Great music and food, good theatre and dance, museums, the Mighty Miss... and terrible poverty, crime, and corruption.

Southhaven, Mississippi is the closest I'd get to "staying in Memphis" in my RV. If you want to do Beale Street, take an Uber, Lyft, or cab. Don't risk your toad being broken into. Parking in New Orleans is safer...

Graceland is in the 'hood. It wasn't as 'hood when Elvis bought the property but things change... If you're an Elvis fan it's probably worth the coin for the 1 time nostalgia.

The former Memphis Pyramid arena is a Cabella's. Not been there recently but 'back in the day' it was immersive retailing and an interesting re-use of the defunct arena. Plenty of parking.

I've never stayed in Nash-Vegas in my RV so I'm reading along with you! That said, lots of food and music and less crime than Memphis in the tourist areas (in my subjective and dated opinion). Lots of musical variety besides country, too.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old 02-01-2022, 10:51 PM   #7

A very convenient park in Memphis is the Agri-Center RV park near the corner of Germantown Parkway and Walnut Grove. Enter at the Germantown Parkway entrance as the trees are low on the Walnut Grove entrance.

It's not a fancy park but it's safe and close to good shopping. It's not far from downtown, about 15 miles.

Graceland is a must-see even if you are not an Elvis fan.... I was a teenager when he died so his music was before my time. His house is a really neat thing to see along with the car museum across the street. There is a new hotel next door to the mansion of which I haven't seen in person yet.

You have to be careful in every town, Memphis has a great entertainment venue on Beale Street.

In Nashville, I have stayed at two parks.... the KOA on Music Valley drive near the Opry Mills shopping mall. The other KOA that I stayed at several times is the one in Lebanon, east of Nashville. There are several RV parks besides the KOA near the Opry Mills mall if you want to be in that area.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:55 AM   #8

Visited Memphis a couple years back. Stayed at the Tom Sawyer RV park in Arkansas what a great place. Get a pull in spot look out windshield over the Mississippi River.
https://tomsawyerrvpark.com/
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:40 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Another vote for Nashville KOA. Get breakfast from Mitchell Delicatessen while you’re there.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:52 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Tom Sawyer in W. Memphis AR Tugs and barges going by all day and night. We say there a few days at a time and don't leave the park.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:23 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Graceland rv Park

We stayed at Graceland rv park this past July, 4 nights for $215. Im not an Elvis fan but found the tour thru his home and grounds a must see.

I was stationed in Millington, Tn in the late 60's about 25 miles away from memphis and wanted to see what had changed......everything.

After Memphis we went to Montgomery Bell State park just west of Nashville, 3 nights for $104.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:22 AM   #12

Nashville

We loved Safe Harbor at the Elm Hill Rec Area
larrydp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all for all your insight and input. At this time it looks like we'll be heading to Nashville first, staying six nights then across state to Memphis for 6 nights then heading back home. The parks you all have suggested are great in some ways more than others and vice versa, so we're still deciding on them. Do any of you feel that 6 days at each city is overkill for the main tourist sites? Can, or should, we cut it down to 4 each city? How much time have you spent in each, for example. If we use 6 days for travel to and from and 12 days actually there, it would be less than 3 weeks total.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:01 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Thank you all for all your insight and input. At this time it looks like we'll be heading to Nashville first, staying six nights then across state to Memphis for 6 nights then heading back home. The parks you all have suggested are great in some ways more than others and vice versa, so we're still deciding on them. Do any of you feel that 6 days at each city is overkill for the main tourist sites? Can, or should, we cut it down to 4 each city? How much time have you spent in each, for example. If we use 6 days for travel to and from and 12 days actually there, it would be less than 3 weeks total.
I guess it depends on your pace and what all you enjoy.

For us Nashville would be 3 days or less: Opryland, Zoo Nashville (very small), downtown music scene in the evenings, maybe the botanical gardens, and a run down to Franklin for the old downtown and maybe a vineyard.

For Memphis similar timeline: Memphis Zoo, Bass Pro, Beale Street one evening and you've hit the highlights.