Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 06:09 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good base camp in Vermont

We are planning a trip to Vermont in September. We have no set destination planned. We know nothing about where to go. We aren't looking for excitement and adventure. We are looking for beauty and small town life. I like old hardware stores and antique shops. We enjoy seeing craftsman and artists doing their craft.

Where would you go and where would you stay? Any advice would be appreciated.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

Quechee area has lots of antiquing if I remember. Try the Quechee/Pine Valley KOA, clean campground gets good reviews.

Mike
mdcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:37 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike,thank you! When I hear about Vermont all anyone can say I it is beaut, but not specific about locations. Motorhome Magazine had a good short article about Vermont, but spent half of the article describing a Scottish festival in New Hampshire.

I am looking to be centrally located and not make 2 hour road trip to see things.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #4

Vermont is bigger than you may think. Might have to move at least one time. We like Champlain Adult CG in Grand Isle on Lake Champlain. It’s quiet, scenic and near wineries. It is close to Grand Isle State Park for camping also. We like Windhall Brook COE CG in the Manchester area. Close to Manchester for outlet shopping and Equinox mountain. Vermont is dotted with farm stands, rolling hills, Vermont syrup shops, Cabot Cheese, Ben & Jerry ice cream & antique shops. Stowe area of Vermont is worth a look. It truly is a beautiful area of New England.
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, I have made reservations at Lake Champagne Resort Vermont in Randolph Center, Vermont. I know I will not be able to see it all in a week,so I was looking for central. I have no agenda or must see places. Back in March we went to Texas for a whirlwind trip. I won't do that again.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jim, you'll only be about a half hour away from Barre. The tour at the Rock of Ages Quarry there was excellent. (Try to hit a tour when Todd will be guiding, if at all possible. He was wonderful - a former teacher who has been with the quarry for more than 30 years. He knows just about everything there is to know about it, plus he's very personable with a good sense of humor and a smooth delivery.)

If you happen to be in the vicinity of Waterbury, you might enjoy the restored train station that was built in 1875. It's beautifully renovated, and it now houses a Green Mountain Coffee cafe and visitor center. Plus, it's still an active (and quaint) stop on the Amtrak line.

Enjoy your time in Vermont!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman5145 View Post
Thanks, I have made reservations at Lake Champagne Resort Vermont in Randolph Center, Vermont.
That's out favorite Vermont base. From there, you can visit Ben & Jerry's, the Cabot Annex, Cold Hollow Cider, Ziemke Glassblowing, Vermont Country Store, King Arthur Flour (and Baking School), Quechee, shop at Co-Op for fresh and healthy foods, American Precision Museum, NECI on Main (New England Culinary's school restaurant), shop in Hanover, NH for tax-free things (great golf shop in Golf & Ski Warehouse) and a NH state liquor store.

If you like cheese, check out Neighborly Farms north of the campground. Best feta we have ever had, and Sugarbush Farm near Quechee for cheddar.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:40 AM   #8

The best travel routes in Vermont tend to run north and south, the spine of the Green Mountains limits east west routes. Route 5 up the Connecticut River valley is very scenic with many small towns. Route 100 travels up the center of the state, also very scenic and with places to stop, eat, etc. Burlington, our biggest city is up in the Northern part of the state on beautiful Lake Champlain. The small scale of the city makes it very traveler friendly. Lots to see and do. Good food, numerous breweries, a nice pedestrian only long city street, highly recommended. Our lovely state is often described as the way all of America used to be: small towns, low crime rate, clean environment, and very little urban sprawl. Bill boards are illegal here as is uncontrolled development. Note: Fall is our peak tourism season, plan ahead, campgrounds and rooms can difficult to find at the last minute.
vermontbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontbuild View Post
The best travel routes in Vermont tend to run north and south, the spine of the Green Mountains limits east west routes. Route 5 up the Connecticut River valley is very scenic with many small towns. Route 100 travels up the center of the state, also very scenic and with places to stop, eat, etc. Burlington, our biggest city is up in the Northern part of the state on beautiful Lake Champlain. The small scale of the city makes it very traveler friendly. Lots to see and do. Good food, numerous breweries, a nice pedestrian only long city street, highly recommended. Our lovely state is often described as the way all of America used to be: small towns, low crime rate, clean environment, and very little urban sprawl. Bill boards are illegal here as is uncontrolled development. Note: Fall is our peak tourism season, plan ahead, campgrounds and rooms can difficult to find at the last minute.
Well Said!
Old 08-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Good base camp in Vermont

Camping on the Battenkill in Arlington is a nice quiet spot. Manchester and Bennington are both close by.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We do VT every 3/4 years. We do one week usually in the south at a state park ( dry camping) and another about a hour north of Rutland on Lake Dunmore Kampersville. Some of our favorite state parks are : Gifford Woods, Half Moon, Jamaica, Lake St Catherine.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladie View Post
Vermont is bigger than you may think. Might have to move at least one time. We like Champlain Adult CG in Grand Isle on Lake Champlain. It’s quiet, scenic and near wineries. It is close to Grand Isle State Park for camping also. We like Windhall Brook COE CG in the Manchester area. Close to Manchester for outlet shopping and Equinox mountain. Vermont is dotted with farm stands, rolling hills, Vermont syrup shops, Cabot Cheese, Ben & Jerry ice cream & antique shops. Stowe area of Vermont is worth a look. It truly is a beautiful area of New England.
X2 on Champlain Adult CG on Grand Isle & especially Winhall Brook, after a day of fun, love chillen in my inner tube on the lazy river under the bridge... picture something out of a Norman Rockwell Painting!

Mike
Old 08-24-2019, 08:15 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Rt 100 is one of our favorite roads. It is a laid back pace hwy. So many scenic areas. We like stopping in the towns of Warren and Waitsfield. Very quaint with nice shopping.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We love the Quechee KOA. The owners take a lot of pride in the campground and are very hands on in maintaining it, lots (I like the upper side) are very large and private. Simon Pearce is a fantastic restaurant and glass blowing store is right down the road, as is the Gorge. It's very quiet and relaxing, not touristy.
MaureenB is offline   Reply With Quote