Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2020, 02:13 PM   #1

Grand Canyon

We haven't been to the Grand Canyon in about 35 years. I noticed that there are lots of vacancies at their Trailer village Rv park, with full hookups. Most of the stores and visitor centers are closed. We have a 40' C. Coach and would be pulling a toad.

Questions. What about the weather and hiking? What is the trailer village like, and how far is it from the rim? Things to do besides hiking with most of the stores closed? There is one store open at the trailer village. We would be taking our kids and grandkids, some of whom are teenagers. We are thinking about going next week.
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #2

Have you looked at the official web site? Lots of good information.
https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...lth-update.htm

Basically, everything is closed including the shuttle, visitor center and hotels. It doesn't say anything about porta potties so I don't know what you'd do for a restroom once you left your motorhome. Weather? It looks like in the 60's which is good for hiking.

Oh.... don't leave your sewer hose connected or the ravens will peck at it & make holes.

Personally, unless you're heavy duty hikers, I wouldn't go.

Trailer Village is a good place to stay if you decide to go. You can walk to the Rim from there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:51 AM   #3

This is the time we typically go to the GC to get in before school lets out. Typically it is very difficult to get into Trailer Village. If you are self contained with the coach & FHU are still provided I'd go in a NY minute. The south rim is usually crowded so it would be even more attractive to me with very few visitors.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #4

Yes, I have read the ups.gov site in detail!

I am glad you brought up the port a potty issue. They are probably all closed since, most of the employees are gone, and the campsite bathrooms and laundry services are closed.

The only rv sites that are open are full hook up sites. I tried calling the local numbers but no real person has answered. I think I may not go at this time.
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #5

The family and myself went 4 years ago and Stayed in the village. We were there for the fourth of July. It wasn't too hot. We hiked early in the day though. No showers at the village. They are nearby though and are pay. I hope to be able to go again. I will make an attempt of my favorite activity....eating rocky road while dangling my feet in the Canyon.

Hmmm. I will need to study inserting pics from my PC.
A Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:56 AM   #6

We stayed at trailer village, very close to most things. Plus we loved watching the animals walk thru the sites (I think they were mule deer?) We went in September.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #7

Heard last night that they just closed Trailer Village.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #8

Full hookups still open but the rest closed:

https://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/covid-19-updates
JohnPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
I think I may not go at this time.
That is the smart thing to do.

I can think of a 100 reasons why traveling right now is a bad idea.

And besides Grandpa & Grandma spending time with the Grand kids right now is a Big no no. For every bodies sake.

If all of us in this country don't start taking these advisements seriously and continue to not abide by them, this virus is just going to keep spreading to more people and get worse, delaying things to getting back to normal even longer. Everyone needs to put down ideas of traveling right now and seeing folks.

We all have to pull together as one nation on this to defeat this enemy and that will require personal sacrifice by all.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:15 PM   #10
Community Moderator

CLOSED effected today

https://news.yahoo.com/grand-canyon-...004527559.html

https://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote