Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #1

Grand Canyon, first visit

OK, I'm committed to a Grand Canyon visit in 2018. What is the best time of year to go? I understand that summer can be quite hectic and more expensive. What about early spring (March, April, May)? I would like to avoid icy/snowy weather. Cold nights and cool days are fine.

We would be departing from Central Texas. I am looking to make it to Albuquerque NM on the first days travel (estimating 10+ hrs.?), spend a day exploring ABNM, and then head on out to Williams. I think that we will be staying at Railside RV Ranch. They seem to have good reviews, look to be pet-friendly, and have a free shuttle to the Grand Canyon Railroad Depot. Our plan is to take the train into the national park one day, and then spend the next day either revisiting the park or exploring Williams and its surrounding area. After that we will start heading back home - return route not set in stone yet. I am open to suggestions that are somewhat along the way.

Our travel rig is a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R (a 30' Class A, gas) pulling a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. Total rig length of 45'. Average hwy speed of 62 mph.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #2

March, April, May would be good times to visit. However, why don't you stay in the park itself at Trailer Village within walking distance to the Rim? The free shuttle also stops right there. It would give you more time to explore the park if that's your main destination. That's a very short trip, unfortunately.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Its hot in June!!!! I spent the night here before going into the grand canyon.....Simpsons market , 465 Highway 89, Cameron, AZ 86020..full hook ups .I think I paid about $20.00.....place to eat and sleep , deli next door, get you ready for the final leg into the canyon. Keep in mind that you are on the reservation, I think.anyway, I spent the night there, nice and quite, no frills.
Vw triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

We visited gc in june 2016. We stayed at Williams and drove the toad to the canyon. Parking was ok, and cheap since we have the nps free park pass. We used the shuttle buses to visit the overlooks to the west and then , after lunch, we drove the toad to the east overlooks. I dont think there is any time its not crowded, there are people there from every country.
We looked at the train from Williams, but decided it was not that cost effective or exciting enough. It also limited the time at the canyon, which we had decided to do in 1 day.
We also visited the North rim on that same trip, its a lot less crowded and just as impressive.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #5

We stayed at the Canyon motel and rv park just off I40. Enjoyed our stay. Good flat sites and plenty of space.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
March, April, May would be good times to visit. However, why don't you stay in the park itself at Trailer Village within walking distance to the Rim? The free shuttle also stops right there. It would give you more time to explore the park if that's your main destination. That's a very short trip, unfortunately.
^^^^^^^^^^

Likely you will need a reservation if near a weekend.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
If you are of age,purchase senior pass. Good at any National park as far as I know and I believe it is a 1 time money outlay.
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #8

Grand Canyon, first visit

We stayed in the Trailer Village in early May two different times and you walk to the bus stop and ride everywhere free 24/7. Vehicle parking is few and far between.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Here's another thought if you're at all interested in boondocking : there's a nice area just outside the GC boundary but still the National Forest about four tenths of a mile off the South rim road. We stayed there for several days in our older 36 foot DP in mid March 2016. Let know if you're interested and I'll give more exact directions and details.

Wherever you end up staying take the time to see as much as possible including a trip to the bottom if it's open and you're up to it.
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We have been twice in April. Lucky to get beds in Phantom Ranch on stand-by the second time. Bad weather spooked someone I guess, as we had snow in Flagstaff the day before we arrived. Nice day time temps on top then, but getting warm down in the bottom.
Have a great trip, and spend a couple extra days checking out the area.
It truly is a fantastic place.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:04 AM   #11

The Grand Canyon Railroad was one of the most memorable days we have experienced. If you opt for the lunch, you do not get much time to see the canyon. We also stayed at the Railside RV Ranch and spent the evenings exploring Williams.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I stayed at Trailer Village last month and enjoyed it. The weather was good but a little chilly at night.

Reservations are necessary. The earlier you make them, the better.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You might consider the much less visited, but, equally spectacular North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Here's a link to a website that offers pros and cons of North vs. South Rim visits: https://grandcanyon.com/category/pla...-rim-planning/

The general suggestion is for first-time visitors to visit the South Rim. Much more tourist oriented. Many repeat visitors prefer the North Rim. Much less busy.

The North Rim is, IIRC, about 1,000' higher elevation and the single access road is closed for snow until May 15th.

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
If at all possible, stay inside the park for a few days and use the shuttle or bikes. They have done a great job with cycling trails and shuttles. We just left 10 days ago and really prefer it in the fall. We stayed at American RV resort in Albuquerque west of town on 40 and found it to be clean and easy.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote