Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #1

Grand Canyon: South Rim vs. North Rim - Which? Why?

Grand Canyon: South Rim vs. North Rim - Which? Why?

Question Pretty much sums it up - Over the years we have been to Both many times, and because of the times we/I have had on those visits I will recommend both..........But they are so Different.

One with the Bigger Views - Closer/Easier to get to - Able to see the Colorado River and the Vastness of the Canyon - Many walkways, paths - Big CampGround - Open all year - Restaurants and Food Courts and Yes usually very Crowded.

The Other with the Cooler Temperatures, Trees, Natural Shade - A little Out of the Way - Very different Perspective, still Dramatic but subtle - Many Hiking and exploring opportunities - Smaller CampGround/more Boondocking - Closes early after first big snow, Seasonal, they do not plow - A Restaurant - More like a vacation, as it is not that crowded in Numbers but extremely hard to get a reservation.

For me the North is the Favorite - as more than the View the Family Experiences are what I remember, the Brunch looking out over the Canyon as the snow stopped and the clouds rose, exposing the Beauty to my kids on their first visit. Sitting on the Deck with My Parents, and just realizing how Vast it Was/Is.

On the South side we generally will enter from the east on RT 64 - stopping along the way at most of the pull outs, before the crowds, before the craziness. Generally we will just drive straight through, as Crowds and I just don't enjoy each other, as we once did.

So, on this Cold Winter day ----------- A little discussion -- maybe a Picture of two - Share with the rest of us your thoughts, always interested in what Others think on the Big Debate - North Rim or South Rim, Which and Why?

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
South Rim open year round...North Rim is seasonal!
Old 01-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #3

We've also been to both Rims multiple times. The North Rim is our favorite.

Everyone contemplating visiting the Canyon on their first trip should do the South Rim. That's where 'everyone' goes and you'll soon find this out.

The North Rim is sooooo quiet and intimate. It's where you can experience it alone and take in all its beauty.

We've stayed in the North Rim campground and also just outside the entrance at DeMotte national forest campground. We've also found great, quiet boondocking spots nearby.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I think for the 1st time everyone needs to go to the South Rim. The North is 1100' higher, which presents more dramatic and photogenic vistas, since the opposing walls are higher. After that, no need to visit the South Rim again unless it is purpose driven, like staging for a "below the rim" hike or a rafting trip. The Noth rim gets less than 10% of the GC's visitors.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We went to the South Rim in 2012. I look forward to seeing the North Rim soon!

I wonder if we're the only people disappointed in the Grand Canyon? It was awesome as for the size and vastness, but not nearly as beautiful as we had imagined. The colors were kind of "washed out", which I'm told was because we did not see it at sunrise or sunset. Well, maybe next time.............
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #6

Which? North Rim.

Why? The short answer is either because of the solitude and fewer visitors. We try and limit our visits to high density parks to the shoulder seasons.

We've been to both, most recently the South in November of 2017. I was amazed at the number of people there in November. Our eastbound journey took us most closely to the South Rim. I am not at all certain that the North Rim was open at that time.

We are way past due in going to the North Rim, and will be in the greater area late March of this year. If the roads are open, and we can get find a space, we will probably stop.

Thanks for the question Busskipper! Without it, I might have passed it up yet again.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for the North Rim.

I've been there once, and it was more enjoyable with great vistas and fewer crowds. It is a bit out of the way but worth it.

I've been to the South Rim many times, most recently two months ago. I enjoy it in the off-season with fewer people to have to contend with.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #8

Well...maybe next time. I just looked and the North Rim doesn't reopen until May 15, 2018.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #9

I also like the North Rim better, but I am more of a boondocker. Here is my trip report from last summer:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/gc-no...ng-346799.html
Old 01-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We went to the South Rim in 2012. I look forward to seeing the North Rim soon!

I wonder if we're the only people disappointed in the Grand Canyon? It was awesome as for the size and vastness, but not nearly as beautiful as we had imagined. The colors were kind of "washed out", which I'm told was because we did not see it at sunrise or sunset. Well, maybe next time.............
Joe, We went to the south rim and enjoyed this immensely. Here are some photos during sunset and what walked through our site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10_01_15_49.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	188902   Click image for larger version

Name:	10_01_15_50.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	188903  

Click image for larger version

Name:	10_01_15_57.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	188904  
Old 01-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #11

Living in AZ for 40+ years I have been to both many times. I have also hiked Rim to Rim and rafted through from Phantom Ranch to near Lake Mead. Although I prefer the North Rim for boondocking and I have seen people in small rigs parked right on the edge, I believe the South Rim is the most scenic. Once you hike into the canyon it appears to be a much smaller canyon. The best views are from the Top.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #12

Several years ago we visited South Rim and hiked down South Kaibab Trail; stayed at Phantom Ranch a few days and hiked on the trails; then hiked up Bright Angel. It was awesome. It is not something I would repeat. No special reason; just been there; done that. It was very crowded at South Rim. We visited North Rim just for a day at that time. It was on closing day in October. We saw a herd of buffalo on the way in and on our way back they were covered with snow. Awesome. This early fall we are going to the North Rim for a week. Looking forward to a different quieter experience as everyone has described above. I think you all hit the nail on the head. We will be hiking wherever the trails lead us.
BillyandKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I lived in Flagstaff for a couple of years, so I've been to the South Rim plenty. Way too crowded and busy for my taste.
The last 2 years my wife and I have hosted at Demotte Campground, outside the gate to the North Rim. We were supposed to go back this coming season, but got re-assigned to a campground out in California. Hope we haven't been spoiled.

My vote is for the North Rim. A ton of boondocking spots, if you drive a 4x4 toad, there's 100's of miles of dirt roads and vistas you can find where there won't be anyone but you. Because of the altitude it's a lot nicer in the summer. Last season, only 1 day over 90*.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What about North Rim road access and a place to stay with a 40' MH and toad?
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote