Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #1

Grayton Beach Fl

Has anyone stayed at Grayton Beach State Park. I am looking at the newer loop that has full hook-ups. I am wondering about the beach area. Do you have to cross the dunes to get there? Thanks for any info.
jv52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #2

The campground is about 1/4 mile from gulf.So yes you would have to cross dunes.
Lifetime nkk #11902
charlie hamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #3

Yes, just left there.... Three nights ago.... All of the state parks on the gulf have the dunes... The park at St Joseph Peninsua is closer to the water, but the park does not have sewer. The park at Henderson Beach is similar to GB, but also no sewer..... But i did enjoy all of these parks... None of these are on the water.... They were all almost empty the last couple of weeks....
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. We have stayed at Fort Pickens at Pensacola. They have dunes there to but built a very nice walkway to the beach and they also have places to park your car right at the beach. Great CG but no sewer there either. You can only stay there 14 days but it is a Federal Park so for seniors it is only $10 a night. Real bargain!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
jv52 have you considered Topsail Hill State Park. It has full hook-ups plus cable. They have a "tram" that will take you to the beach and bring you back. However, I don't believe it operates in the winter months.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Topsail Hill is open year round and doesn't have a 14 day stay limit like other Florida state parks.
tbfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #7

Historyljc. I want to try topsail but they are already booked for the dates in May and June that we want to be in Florida. Topsail looks like a nice place to stay.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
jv52. That's a shame. Topsail is one of our favorite places. We'll scheduled to be there for a week starting on the 24th. Think a minimum of 6 months in advance for Topsail. Holidays and peak summer months as far ahead as they will take reservations. If you should to cancel or change dates it's only a $10 fee for the paperwork. Have you looked into Henderson Beach. It has a terriffic beach and literally is in downtown Destin, though you never know it from inside the park. I always try to get site 42 when we go there. It's biggest drawback for us is no onsite sewer connection. DW runs the washer all the time and uses a bunch of water. It's private and more expensive, but you might want to check out Bella Terra in Foley, AL. It's a very nice "resort". Excellent facilities. The "cheap seats" are about $45 a night. We were there for New Years weekend. Can't afford it too often or for too long at a time. It can get hard on those retired pennies.

tbfirm, Topsail has a 14 day limit like the rest of the state parks. It like the other parks can also have exceptions. From the Florida State Parks website:

"LENGTH OF STAY

Campsites may be reserved for stays of one to 14 nights. Cabins may be reserved for one night during the week, Monday – Thursday, or a minimum of two nights on weekends and holidays, Friday and Saturday, departing Sunday, or Saturday and Sunday, departing Monday. Suwannee River Wilderness Trail state parks with cabins will rent them for one night on weekends. These parks include Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park, Suwannee River State Park, Lafayette Blue Springs State Park and Fanning Springs State Park. All campsites or cabins not already occupied or having a prior reservation may be rented by walk-in visitors.

When demand is great, the maximum length of a camping stay is 14 nights. Once the camper is registered and onsite, and only at the Park Manager’s discretion during periods of low demand, the stay may be extended up to 28 consecutive nights. Park Managers will permit the same campers up to eight weeks aggregate occupancy in any one park in a six month period."

The way I read is that during peak times you can hang it in the wind for getting more than 14 days. My experience is you had better get those days way in advance. From the looks of the availability at Topsail right now you can probably get 28 days. I don't think you'll get that once the weather warms up and stays that way.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just stayed at Topsail for 30 days. Booked through reserveamerica online.
tbfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #10

Stayed at Grayton beach last year and loved it. Not alot of amenities but great uncrowded beach. The town of Grayton Beach to the west and Seaside to the east are an easy bike ride away and lots to see and do. Golf carts are allowed in the park but not on the bike paths to both towns, I guess if your cart was street legal you could go down the road? Definitely would go back. The beach was great but you do have to cross the dunes but on an elevated walkway, plus bathrooms at the beach also.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #11

Here's a review I did this summer for another site on Grayton Beach and Topsail:
Topsail and Grayton Beach State Parks - in Florida Panhandle - Fiberglass RV
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is good info for me, thanks for the share. We are talking about going that direction in a few weeks.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #13

We loved it and plan to go back. The town has a lot to offer and the town of Seaside is not very far down the road. A little yuppie, but worth the walk-about.
garmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #14

I just booked Lot #57 of Loop 102 at Topsail for our maiden vacation. Does it have cable or not?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote