Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2022, 08:35 AM   #1

Great Basin National Park, where to stay?

Ive long heard about great basin, and several times passed by signs pointing to it ... but have not been there. Seems like a little visited, but beautiful park, and we are interested in trying togo there this summer.

We have a 44' DP, so staying at an in-park campground is not an option. My camping app says there are a couple places in Baker outside the park, but they are really small (but doable if there is space available).

For anyone who has been to great basin - are there any other options for parking the RV, and what was your impression of the park (we are mostly interested in photography and hiking)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #2

I highly recommend Great Basin -- great hikes, great photography. Check out the links to our blog posts, below.

For a big rig, the only option is in Baker. The national park campgrounds are too tight, I think.

There is boondocking at Sacramento Pass, if you can live without hookups.

https://lookmomwerecamping.blogspot....ountry_30.html

https://lookmomwerecamping.blogspot....18-part-1.html
Old 03-19-2022, 10:15 AM   #3

Beautiful photos. Likely cant do the full summit of wheeler (altitude would get my wife) ... but can do a partial climb. Where is that old, old tree? Also gotta love the dark sky - awful light pollution where we live.

Thanks for the reference to the BLM campground - i did not see that. Certainly can boondock for 3-4 days. batteries are a little weak, but i have solar to help minimize genny run time (and i might replace them this summer anyway).

Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2022, 10:26 PM   #4

This is the place to stay with a big rig! Awesome views and only 20 mi. from Great Basin. Flat area right off the highway.

https://www.campendium.com/sacrament...ecreation-area
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:19 PM   #5

The old trees are on the Bristlecone Pine trail. Great hike -- not too long, cool air at ten thousand feet!
Old 03-20-2022, 07:05 AM   #6

Thank you Dan!
Old 03-20-2022, 02:19 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
There is a campground in Baker, NV. It's pretty much directly across the entrance to Great Basin NP. It isn't fancy, but it is full hookup. It's called Whispering Elms Campground. And when they say check in time is 2PM - they mean it.

We stayed here a few days last year. It worked well for us for our daily trips into Great Basin.

Check to see if you need a reservation for the Lehman Caves. The Bristlecone Pine trail is great as is the Alpine Loops trail. Teresa and Stella Lakes are very pretty too.

If you get some extra time you can kill an hour at the Baker Archeological Site. It isn't much but it gives some history and perspective to the area.
Old 03-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
There is a campground in Baker, NV. It's pretty much directly across the entrance to Great Basin NP. It isn't fancy, but it is full hookup. It's called Whispering Elms Campground. And when they say check in time is 2PM - they mean it.

We stayed here a few days last year. It worked well for us for our daily trips into Great Basin.

Check to see if you need a reservation for the Lehman Caves. The Bristlecone Pine trail is great as is the Alpine Loops trail. Teresa and Stella Lakes are very pretty too.

If you get some extra time you can kill an hour at the Baker Archeological Site. It isn't much but it gives some history and perspective to the area.

We stayed there in 2020. Yup, not fancy but location is perfect. I think you'll love Great Basin. An amazing oasis in the desert. We too had passed the signs for it and wondered what it was for several years. We also experienced the "Loneliest Road", Hwy 50. from Utah to Baker and then on to Fernley. Talk about wide open spaces!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200618.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	648.1 KB
ID:	359788  
Old 03-20-2022, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

Yeah - I saw the Whispering Elms park on my app. Ive thought it would be my first choice - but if it were full or not available, I wanted to know if there were any other options.

thank you for the pointers on the park. We would like to see the caves ..... after all, Lehman is my wife's last name! :-)
Old 03-20-2022, 06:13 PM   #10

Great Basin

Just wanted to add to be careful when you get up near the park head quarters and beyond. The grades are really step and large motor homes not recommended beyond. I think it is 11 percent up to the top. A visit to the caves is a nice adventure. Good luck, Travato John.
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.kauai View Post
Just wanted to add to be careful when you get up near the park head quarters and beyond. The grades are really step and large motor homes not recommended beyond. I think it is 11 percent up to the top. A visit to the caves is a nice adventure. Good luck, Travato John.
And some spots are kind of narrow. When we went up into the park we encountered a class C motorhome hugging the center line. Took out the snap on side mirror extension on my Yukon.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:47 AM   #12

Great Basin National Park, where to stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul View Post
And some spots are kind of narrow. When we went up into the park we encountered a class C motorhome hugging the center line. Took out the snap on side mirror extension on my Yukon.

Thanks. Situations like that are precisely why i bought my mini cooper w manual transmission (the big rig stays outside the park) . Narrow spaces and steep grades = no problem. I took it up pikes peak (14,000 ft) and many other high winding grades. It purred up the grade, and the brakes barely got warm on the way down (used 1st gear instead [emoji4]).
Old 03-21-2022, 07:37 AM   #13

There is also Border Inn at the Nevada/Utah border on Hwy 50 13 miles from the park.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national