Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Great Basin NP and Utah 5

You all gave great info in helping me plan my trip to Yellowstone, I'm asking again as I continue that trip. I will have 5-6 weeks to visit Great Basin, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef National Parks.

I greatly appreciate your input as to is that enough time, how much time should I spend at each park, anything else I should not miss in Utah? I could add at least 1 more week to visit this area.

Thank you!
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I could spend a full summer in Utah if it weren't for the heat. So, for us (and a bazillion others), spring and fall are the best.

Last year we spent 5 nights at Bryce, 7 at Escalante, 7 at Capitol Reef, and then back to Kodachrome for another 4 nights.

We love hiking (kids are grown so it is just us). A good hike takes just about all day or at least the better part of 4 to 5 hours. So you don't get to see a lot of variety doing that. We also enjoy long drives on dirt roads exploring places tour busses don't, or can't go.

We're planning Zion for 2021 but only 3 nights. It'll probably be too crowded so after spending a day riding their busses and sightseeing we'll find some less traveled areas there.

We planning Great Basin in 2021 for 5 nights. It's kind of we figure we'll only be there once so we want to have time to explore all over there.

I guess in your case if I were coming from the north (Yellowstone) I'd go to Arches/Canyonland, Capitol Reef, Escalante, Bryce/Kodachrome then Zion. Great Basin seems a bit far out of the way but I don't know where you need to end.

You'll have to decide if you want to explore an area in depth and maybe miss getting everywhere or just hit the major attractions at each place. It's taken us years of going to these places to hone in on less trafficed hidden gems.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you traveldawg. This will be my first trip to the area. I'm thinking a week or so at each place, seeing what I am able to fit into that timeframe. From Utah I will be heading to friends in CO which is why I am thinking Great Basin first and Arches last. Does that make sense? Do I need to drop Great Basin and spend more time in Utah?
Old 12-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Just visited Great Basin NP for the first time this past September .... I’d say DON’T skip it. We’ve been to the Utah 5 several times each over the years, wonderful places, of course.

Had to plan the trek to Great Basin, it’s kinda not on the way to anywhere (much like Big Bend NP, another OMG place!). After hiking to the bristlecone pines at about the 11,000 feet level, decided it was one of the best things we’ve ever done. Several nice NP campgrounds within the park. A couple of days would be sufficient unless you are into more substantial hiking.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you SeeTheUSA. I will keep Great Basin in the plans.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
No problem!

If you’re interested, there is a very interesting railroad museum in Ely, NV. It’s quite a complete complex with various buildings like shops, depots, offices, etc. lots of equipment, too. Like stepping back over a hundred years ago.

https://www.nnry.com/
Old 12-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Suddenly I feel like I am not planning enough time in Great Basin. I booked 5 nights at Whispering Elms Campground. Besides seeing the NP I found a number of things in Ely and now have to add the RR Museum.

Olive, the few tips I might add are:
Bryce Canyon - just stay at Ruby's campground and take the NP shuttle to and from the NP. Not sure if you like hiking but there are some great ones down in the "canyon". Just remember it is a long way down and then you have to hike back up. The longer hikes will get you away from the rim crowds into nice quiet areas. And using the NP buss you can go down on one trail and up on another as the bus stops at all the major places. If hiking isn't your thing you can take the bus all the way to Bryce Point and walk the rim downhill until you either reach the end or decide to stop and catch the bus back to the CG.

Kodachrome - quiet, peaceful, not crowded, no wifi or cell service. We stayed 3 nights and want to go back.

Escalante - lesser known location, most folks just pass by on UT12 but it is getting more popular. Lots of good hikes, our favorite - Lower Calf Creek Falls. GREAT NP visitor center.

Torrey - Capitol Reef: Nice drives, nice Visitor Center (BUSY!!), good hikes. For a special adventure you can backtrack on UT12 to Boulder and get on Burr Trail Road to Notom-Bullfrog Road back to UT24 and Torrey (quite a drive - zoom in on Google Maps to see Waterpocket Fold.

Arches - spend a sunset at Canyon Lands and hang out for great dark sky experience. Look up Corona Arch for a nice hike (use to be not so crowded - social media ruined that but still less crowded than Delicate Arch).

And - for sure - get the Gypsy Guide app for your smartphone. It will be the best money you spend - ever. You can use it at Yellowstone, Archs/Canyonlands and maybe some others too.

enjoy.....
Old 12-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #8

Also Ward charcoal ovens near Ely. Take a drive around Success loop past Cave Lake and back through McGill to Ely.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #9

Great Basin is an amazing "oasis" in the desert. How much time you spend depends on how much hiking you want to do and if the Ranger stations and cave are back open. We spent 3 days, 4 nights there and I think we got as much out of it as we wanted but probably could have done more if Covid hadn't gotten in the way. Really missed being able to get a feel for the place by going to the park headquarters first, viewing the displays and talking to the Rangers. Maybe next year.

And driving Hwy 50/6 is amazing. Talk about wide open spaces. Don't forget to fill your tank!
Old 12-29-2020, 10:43 PM   #10

Here's a blog post about Great Basin that may be of interest:

https://lookmomwerecamping.blogspot....ountry_30.html

Best stars we have ever seen.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:15 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
Here's a blog post about Great Basin that may be of interest:

https://lookmomwerecamping.blogspot....ountry_30.html

Best stars we have ever seen.
Ditto on the stars! Amazing.

For those taking a look at the blog linked above, which can be very helpful and has some super pics, please know gathering pine nuts in Great Basin NP is allowed per certain regulations:

https://www.nps.gov/grba/planyourvis...tgathering.htm

Taking anything from National Park land is typically taboo, but here’s an exception!
Old 12-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
You all gave great info in helping me plan my trip to Yellowstone, I'm asking again as I continue that trip. I will have 5-6 weeks to visit Great Basin, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef National Parks.

I greatly appreciate your input as to is that enough time, how much time should I spend at each park, anything else I should not miss in Utah? I could add at least 1 more week to visit this area.

Thank you!
Old post's are often helpful - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/pre-...me-433398.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/uta...ip-380023.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/utah-5-a-357429.html

Now a few links that tell the story's -

https://utah.com/five-national-parks-five-days

https://www.fodors.com/world/north-a...days-226020400

https://www.iexplore.com/destination...y-5-seven-days

I could easily rewrite for hours but .........think it just might be best to see what others have done/said.

Utah is Beautiful - It is Popular in the Summer, but it is also HOT in the summer - It is popular in the Spring - warmer and really crowded in many spots. Personal note on Seasons - IMHO Winter - if smart and Lucky can be the Best - Fewer people - Often Great Weather - Snow yes - Warm (70) yes - low sun and Clear Skies - Yes. - Just Easy and more Fun! - Agood 4X4 Toad will help - just so much to see and never enough TIME!

If you read through all the Posts - many they address many thoughts and Issues.

The Three Links are just Good - they tell you a lot, take time to read and enjoy.

Hope this is of some Help.

Best of Luck,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mexican hat.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	312887   Click image for larger version

Name:	just before mexican hat.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	312888  

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:32 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you have the time and inclination, consider adding Goblin Valley State Park to your itinerary. It's a bit out of the way but our family felt it was definitely worth the effort. The Park has many "goblin-shaped" hoodoos that are more comical than imposing and tons of fun to explore and photograph.

Enjoy your adventure!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #14

We have camped at Great Basin 3 times and we have discovered different things every time. There are good facilities a store, restaurant, even a cave tour but the real draw for us is the different terrain and natural formations if you are willing to do some real hiking. Some of the trails are rough and steep but all have different things to see. Very few people the times we have been there. Great place.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
utah