Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2020, 05:24 PM   #1

Great Smokey National Park

Since all of our granddaughters summer camps will not open, my wife and I need to find some things for them to do. Thinking about trying GSNP. Pretty close and we've never been there.

Looks like there are 3 campgrounds within the Park itself. No hookups but looks like, even in July, temperatures are not excessively hot so AC would not be required. Only thing is battery power to get 4 teenagers (our 2 and a friend each) through the night.

Alternate is stay in a private park outside park.

Would appreciate any suggestions from those lucky enough to visit in the past.

Need to get on this and try to make reservations in case Park starts to open up.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2020, 06:15 PM   #2

My husband and I stayed in the park at Elkmont Campground a few years ago. Loved it! Easy enough to get to Gatlinsburg and Pigeon Foeprge when we wanted, but isolated enough to feel like we were really camping. And easy access to the different points of interest within the park.

No electric, but we made it for a week with just occasionally running our generator during the designated generator times.

Some of the sites are right on the river--ours was and that was definitely a perk! (We were in C2, big enough to easily accommodate our 30 ft trailer.
beccaf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #3

Absolutely beautiful park!

There are several campgrounds just outside the park with full hookups if you find your need it.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:56 PM   #4

With COVID19 be sure to check the park's web site for closures.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:26 AM   #5

Hot and humid is relative, compared to TX or FL in July, I guess you might consider it mild in the TN mountains. But it’s still probably going to be hot and humid enough in July that AC would be wanted by most..... Being in the trees in a campground will help temp wise some, but you should expect the humidity can / will be pretty terrible......

Good luck.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:08 AM   #6

The Cades Cove campground is very shaded so you can't rely on solar for your electric needs there. The benefit of this campground was being close to the Cades Cove Loop during the "no cars" time, so we were able to bicycle from our campsite and ride the loop without cars. The disadvantages are that the campsite roads are narrow and the trees can make getting into sites a little tricky if you have a large rig and no electricity.

If I were going with teenagers, I would book a campsite at one of the private campgrounds with a pool and FHU and just drive into the park since you end up driving to get to some of the trails/sites anyway.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:20 AM   #7

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
I would agree with Tacksondeck. There are many commercial campgrounds right at the north entrance to the park. The entertainment value of the park is in it's natural beauty but eventually the attractions outside the park draw visitors for something to do after dark.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:47 AM   #8

We go twice a year and our A/C runs a bunch.... I won't camp in a hot trailer.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
We go twice a year and our A/C runs a bunch.... I won't camp in a hot trailer.
Hi, Camper,

Do you stay in private parks or within the park boundries? If without hookups, are you saying the evenings and nights are not too hot for you?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 05-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #10

We stay just outside the park at a private campground and usually run the A/C there. I like it 73 degrees in my camper, but that's my preference.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We visit GSNP 2 or 3 times a year. According to the GSNP website CGs are not open.

Lots of local parks. We normally stayed in Pigeon Forge but now with a big rig it'll be Sevierville.

Enjoy - Richard
Old 05-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
We visit GSNP 2 or 3 times a year. According to the GSNP website CGs are not open.

Lots of local parks. We normally stayed in Pigeon Forge but now with a big rig it'll be Sevierville.

Enjoy - Richard
That's correct, the Park Campgrounds are still closed at this time. They are in the process of "step" reopening, but I do not know when the CG will open. We've never stayed in the actual park itself.....44' Momentum 5ver just ain't gonna fit.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #13

Check in to Cherokee NC if on the east side or Townsend on the west. Pools and playgrounds, cool rivers, close to park and things for kids to do, plus laundry if you stay a few days. If you go to Sevierville Pigeon Forge you well be up till midnight with all the noise and spend a fortune with the kids several years ago Dollywood was $$$ per day per kid and you will need the air conditioning all day and night. (90*-99%humid) Could have a wet July with rain every day or none at all, the southern end is considered a rain forest. Good luck. PS yes I was raised there.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:08 PM   #14

We have done Elkmont a few times too. Nice CG. Next to a creek.

If you want nothing fancy but want power & water take a look at Dumplin Valley
CG. Very scenic. A former dairy farm. Silos & barn still there. Far enough from I40 so little noise. Close enough to Pigeon Forge etc. Hosts a big bluegrass festival in September but usually far from full.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national