Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2021, 01:33 AM   #1

Grizzly attack at West Yellowstone 4-15-21

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/04/man...lowstone-park/

Let's be careful out there, people.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2021, 06:19 AM   #2

Never forget animals are wild. This poor guy just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Early spring they are very hungry coming out of hibernation. I’ll be in area for six weeks in July and August. Always carry bear spray but worry about will it work and would I be able to deploy it. Hope I never need to find out. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 04-21-2021, 09:13 AM   #3

Very tragic. This guy was an experienced guide from the area too.

https://heavy.com/news/carl-mock/

We both carry a canister of the Frontiersman 2.0% (they sell it in grocery stores in Jackson Hole) when we go in bear country.

Our logic is that if one of us got attacked before we could get to it, or it didn't work, the other would be there to give the bear a close up in the face/up the nose blast.
RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:00 PM   #4

I think the key to this is that they found a moose carcass nearby. The bear was protecting it. There are closures in Yellowstone often in a hiking area where a carcass is found.

In Alaska we viewed often of fisherpersons in the water right along with the grizzlies who were also fishing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS ODonnell View Post
Very tragic. This guy was an experienced guide from the area too.

https://heavy.com/news/carl-mock/

We both carry a canister of the Frontiersman 2.0% (they sell it in grocery stores in Jackson Hole) when we go in bear country.

Our logic is that if one of us got attacked before we could get to it, or it didn't work, the other would be there to give the bear a close up in the face/up the nose blast.
Seemed like a really good guy. Wrong place/wrong time...how unfortunate. Your logic regarding bear spray is very good. We are going to do the same. I carry a tear gas launcher, but the bear spray would be better in this case.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
https://www.ammoland.com/2021/04/man...lowstone-park/

Let's be careful out there, people.
Being from Montana, I have three levels of protection and have been personally eyed as a potential food source from a distance...

First level of defense is a small boathorn. Eight bucks https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mar...&ts_id=3399081 These horns always make their ears go back and generally is so unpleasant they turn and leave with a few looks back. always blow it again when they look back...

Second level of defense is bear spray. Costco has the best deals and usually has it up here in MT at least. Bear Spray is like 40 bucks everywhere all the time. Costco gives you two for one... PRACTICE using it as if one is coming you will panic and if you haven't familiarized yourself it can be worthless. There's a trick to sliding the plastic protector off quick.

Oh, one of those boat horns AND a can of bear spray will fit into an unfilled water container pocket on a pack and are easy to grab. Mine is always ready. I've seen pics of the grizzlies that do NOT exist in my area (Elkhorns) within three miles of my back door. Black bears walk through the neighborhood every couple of years... I carry these almost always the next level only when out in certain areas. I can see a can of bear spray by the back door as I type this.

Third is [Mod Edit]

Last resort play dead, sometimes that works. Having seen many many emergency room pics of grizzly bear mauling victims, them ignoring the first two levels of human protection and continuing...this is a serious decision point...

AND, remember the liklihood of this happening to a visitor is up there in the range of getting hit by a bus unless you live and hike here a lot. That guide said he knew where he lived and the dangers. He accepted his reality... Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/some_..._bear_gets_you

At least be prepared... Black bears "almost" always back off at any indication of resistance...
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfour5 View Post
Being from Montana, I have three levels of protection and have been personally eyed as a potential food source from a distance...
If a bear charges you're not going to have time to use one of these ways after another!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:53 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If a bear charges you're not going to have time to use one of these ways after another!
The poor guy who died in this attack had pulled his bear spray out and armed it, but didn’t have time to deploy. Bears are FAST, and they don’t give you much time.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #9

Somewhere I've read that a bear's initial burst of speed is faster than a racehorse from the starting gate.

The old gent who cut my hair, forever, had done a good deal of bear hunting in his youth. He told me that whenever he had a nightmare, it was about a "bear rush" in the brush.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
The poor guy who died in this attack had pulled his bear spray out and armed it, but didn’t have time to deploy. Bears are FAST, and they don’t give you much time.
Yep, in most of the cases we provided rabies prophylaxis recommendations after attacks, that was the case, most often hunters going after their own kills.

One piece of advice is that you do NOT go anywhere near a recently killed animal of any sort. Warn your children as their curiosity will often lead them (especially boys) toward that foul smell. That is another animal's food source. Immediately get as far away from something like that as you can. AND look around if you smell it. Tell a ranger if you are in that type of setting. They also know that the bears are drawn and then become extremely possessive. Same with cubs. If you see cubs get away from them as fast as possible as their own curiosity can draw them and their protective mother toward you... She is ALWAYS close.

Seriously, if you are going into the wild and that includes parks and National Forests, you need to have a discussion with your children AND the mirror. This ain't your neighborhood, it's the animals and you as a "civilized" human being have absolutely no concept of what that means.

I like living up here partly because of that wildness but you definitely need to change your point of view in recognition that at any given point in time when you are away from a city or town you may not be the top predator and in fact can be prey. City folk, NEVER realize it until it is too late. You are about 200 generations removed from that particular threat.

It is a subtle distinction but one to never forget. You stimulus generalize it, and adapt, but it makes you a bit different in your awareness levels. AND, especially if you have small kids or four legged children, increasing populations of mountain lions can be just as dangerous as a bear. A five year old wandering around is a snack to a 175 lb. mountain lion. And by wandering, I mean 20 feet away. The cat is looking at whether it can kill it and get away before the parent animal can react. Perfect... And it can happen in seconds and you never see them coming at all... A friend from a local bar came in one day a bit upset. He has a limp but still hikes. He sat down on a rock on a trail and looked up to see one in a tree getting in that hunch just before attacking. He yelled and waved his walking stick and it ran. His limp told the animal that he was potential prey. That's they way they think. He dropped his bear spray as he partially panicked and he was a local who knows the dangers just like that guide. It's a state of mind. That cat had to have stalked him prior to a contemplated attack.

I have been followed by them as they are curious and opportunistic and my big dogs knew something was up but not what exactly... They are preternatural and even know to keep down wind from potential prey. The sign at the END of the trail was no help. A flash of tawny tan was all you get. I get the dogs on a leash. One big dog can be prey, two is NOT worth it to most cats. A little yappity dog doesn't stand a chance. I wouldn't even bring one if you can avoid it. Oh, and moose can be the worst...They are huge... It might seem like it, but this IS NOT Disneyland.
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone