Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2022, 01:54 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Vettesniper's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 196
Grizzly or Fishing Bridge or both?

If you had the opportunity of 9 total days for Yellowstone reservations, what is the best way to see the park?

Spend all of your time with Grizzly as a home base, or one of the new spots in Fishing Bridge, or split your time between the two?

We also have 3 nights in the Tetons at Colter RV park planned afterwards as we travel southbound to Colorado so the Yellowstone time is just for that park.

Thanks in advance for your advice. It’s our first trip to Yellowstone in the RV and we appreciate guidance and feedback.
__________________
Ron & Laureen Ramsey
Melbourne, FL
2019 Newmar Mountain Aire 4551
Vettesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rream's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 795
We have stayed at both - I would try for both, getting into Fishing Bridge is like winning the lottery - good luck - its been closed for two years for remodeling and is opening in late May
__________________
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 40 National Parks
429 Campgrounds, 2124 nights camping since 2009 and 95 K Winnebago miles
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Vettesniper's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
We have stayed at both - I would try for both, getting into Fishing Bridge is like winning the lottery - good luck - its been closed for two years for remodeling and is opening in late May


Thanks for the quick answer. I was thinking of 4 nights at Grizzly and 5 in Fishing Bridge. We did hit the lottery if it indeed opens in May as it’s supposed to. A 95’ long site……
__________________
Ron & Laureen Ramsey
Melbourne, FL
2019 Newmar Mountain Aire 4551
Vettesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 16,261
I'd stay at Fishing Bridge and Mammoth campground in the park. We love Mammoth overlooking the valley. Try for an off the road half circle pull though. No hookups but with your RV capacity you can surely go without for a few days. That would cut down on a lot of driving to see everything. Drive Bear Tooth Hwy from Mammoth to Cody while there and go to Cody for the awesome museum.
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
4ina4x4's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northeast U.S.
Posts: 497
We have not stayed at Fishing Bridge, but we have stayed at Grizzly and Mammoth which is another campground within the National Park. Grizzly is a lovely campground, but there is something magical about actually waking up in the Park. If we were to return to Yellowstone, the only time we'd stay outside the Park is if we couldn't get a reservation in it.

Sounds like a great trip - Enjoy the adventure!

Mary
__________________
Mary & Alan https://reflectionsaroundthecampfire.blogspot.com/
2017 Outdoors RV Creek Side 26RLS
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jack Klompus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
We have stayed at both - I would try for both, getting into Fishing Bridge is like winning the lottery - good luck - its been closed for two years for remodeling and is opening in late May
We will be there (Fishing Bridge) on opening day. I am curious as to what we will find.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:55 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
We will be there (Fishing Bridge) on opening day. I am curious as to what we will find.
I hope smiling faces.
Tridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: College Station TX
Posts: 121
The Beartooth Highway is spectacular but it goes from the Northeast entrance to Cooke City and up over fantastic mountain scenery to Red Lodge Mt. Best to do this with your Toad as there are some long steep switch backs that can be tough on your brakes if you are not careful. It is closed in winter but usually open by May 1.

From Red Lodge you can take normal Highways 60 miles to either Cody or Billings.
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:17 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 54
Grizzly or Fishing Bridge

The park is huge. Grizzly is on the West side and one of the most popular and busy Park entrances. Lots of vehicles and people on a daily basis just getting into the good stuff in the Park. We stayed at Fishing Bridge (before the remodel) which shortens travel in most directions within the park; even so did I say it is a HUGE Park. We spent a week and wished we had more time. Fishing Bridge is my recommendation. Happy travels.
geobiker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Vettesniper's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by geobiker39 View Post
The park is huge. Grizzly is on the West side and one of the most popular and busy Park entrances. Lots of vehicles and people on a daily basis just getting into the good stuff in the Park. We stayed at Fishing Bridge (before the remodel) which shortens travel in most directions within the park; even so did I say it is a HUGE Park. We spent a week and wished we had more time. Fishing Bridge is my recommendation. Happy travels.


Thanks for taking the time to answer. After reading everyone’s replies we’ve decided to stay just in Fishing Bridge. Hopefully some members on the forum will be kind enough to post what they thought about the remodel once it opens next month.
__________________
Ron & Laureen Ramsey
Melbourne, FL
2019 Newmar Mountain Aire 4551
Vettesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:00 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Jack Klompus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettesniper View Post
Thanks for taking the time to answer. After reading everyone’s replies we’ve decided to stay just in Fishing Bridge. Hopefully some members on the forum will be kind enough to post what they thought about the remodel once it opens next month.
I will certainly try to remember to post something when we return to reliable coverage in June.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:28 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzent View Post
The Beartooth Highway is spectacular but it goes from the Northeast entrance to Cooke City and up over fantastic mountain scenery to Red Lodge Mt. Best to do this with your Toad as there are some long steep switch backs that can be tough on your brakes if you are not careful. It is closed in winter but usually open by May 1.

From Red Lodge you can take normal Highways 60 miles to either Cody or Billings.
Best to check road opening dates at the last minute, because they can vary a lot from year to year depending on spring weather. When we were there just after Memorial Day in 2019, the road over the Washburn Range had just opened a day or two before, and the Beartooth Highway didn't open until after the first of June.
__________________
2021 Braxton Creek Bushwhacker Plus 17BH
2010 Toyota Highlander SE 4WD
Wellibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:37 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
twojayhawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lenexa KS
Posts: 1,701
We did 2 weeks @ Grizzly in 2010 and again in 2018. While in YNP I looked at Fishing Bridge to scope it out. I thought sites looked rather close together and I ruled it out for me. I'll probably take a beating for saying this but it did not look like a CG to maneuver in a 45' motorhome. I'm looking forward to hearing about the remodel I'd love to camp there next trip.

On Edit, I just read about the upper loop. Wow that sounds awesome!
__________________
Bill & Kelli 2015 Dutch Star 4366
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:32 AM   #14
Member
 
Hermes2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettesniper View Post
If you had the opportunity of 9 total days for Yellowstone reservations, what is the best way to see the park?

Spend all of your time with Grizzly as a home base, or one of the new spots in Fishing Bridge, or split your time between the two?

We also have 3 nights in the Tetons at Colter RV park planned afterwards as we travel southbound to Colorado so the Yellowstone time is just for that park.
We did a similar trip in 2017. We stayed at Grizzly for 7 days and Colter for 3 days.

My two cents would be to cut the Yellowstone Park visit to 7 days and add two days to the Grand Tetons at Colter RV Park (total of 5 days). You would not regret it, as there were a lot of things we would have like to do in the Tetons that we just didn't have time for.

Seven days in Yellowstone is enough time to see just about everything you'd want to see, especially if you can score one of the new sites at the centrally located Yellowstone Fishing Bridge.
__________________
Hermes: 2021 Winnebago Adventurer 29b | 2020 Chevy Equinox
It's Wine-O'clock Somewhere!
2014 Itasca Impulse Silver 26QP
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishing- plain 'ol drown a worm bank fishing Cliffy Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes 19 11-07-2019 08:41 AM
West Yellowstone or Fishing Bridge CG Oscar Mike Navigation, Routes & Roads 19 01-14-2013 06:22 AM
Route, St. Mary, MT to Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone Floridafran Navigation, Routes & Roads 1 09-09-2011 07:45 PM
Hoses at Yellowstone Fishing Bridge camp. D in Davie Boondocking 6 06-02-2011 09:10 PM
Fishing Bridge no electric 2010 rream Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 4 12-17-2009 02:49 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.