Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2022, 01:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Grizzly or Fishing Bridge or both?

If you had the opportunity of 9 total days for Yellowstone reservations, what is the best way to see the park?

Spend all of your time with Grizzly as a home base, or one of the new spots in Fishing Bridge, or split your time between the two?

We also have 3 nights in the Tetons at Colter RV park planned afterwards as we travel southbound to Colorado so the Yellowstone time is just for that park.

Thanks in advance for your advice. It’s our first trip to Yellowstone in the RV and we appreciate guidance and feedback.
Vettesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have stayed at both - I would try for both, getting into Fishing Bridge is like winning the lottery - good luck - its been closed for two years for remodeling and is opening in late May
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
We have stayed at both - I would try for both, getting into Fishing Bridge is like winning the lottery - good luck - its been closed for two years for remodeling and is opening in late May

Thanks for the quick answer. I was thinking of 4 nights at Grizzly and 5 in Fishing Bridge. We did hit the lottery if it indeed opens in May as it’s supposed to. A 95’ long site……
Old 04-07-2022, 11:08 PM   #4

I'd stay at Fishing Bridge and Mammoth campground in the park. We love Mammoth overlooking the valley. Try for an off the road half circle pull though. No hookups but with your RV capacity you can surely go without for a few days. That would cut down on a lot of driving to see everything. Drive Bear Tooth Hwy from Mammoth to Cody while there and go to Cody for the awesome museum.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:21 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have not stayed at Fishing Bridge, but we have stayed at Grizzly and Mammoth which is another campground within the National Park. Grizzly is a lovely campground, but there is something magical about actually waking up in the Park. If we were to return to Yellowstone, the only time we'd stay outside the Park is if we couldn't get a reservation in it.

Sounds like a great trip - Enjoy the adventure!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
We will be there (Fishing Bridge) on opening day. I am curious as to what we will find.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
We will be there (Fishing Bridge) on opening day. I am curious as to what we will find.
I hope smiling faces.
Tridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:31 PM   #8

The Beartooth Highway is spectacular but it goes from the Northeast entrance to Cooke City and up over fantastic mountain scenery to Red Lodge Mt. Best to do this with your Toad as there are some long steep switch backs that can be tough on your brakes if you are not careful. It is closed in winter but usually open by May 1.

From Red Lodge you can take normal Highways 60 miles to either Cody or Billings.
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:17 PM   #9

Grizzly or Fishing Bridge

The park is huge. Grizzly is on the West side and one of the most popular and busy Park entrances. Lots of vehicles and people on a daily basis just getting into the good stuff in the Park. We stayed at Fishing Bridge (before the remodel) which shortens travel in most directions within the park; even so did I say it is a HUGE Park. We spent a week and wished we had more time. Fishing Bridge is my recommendation. Happy travels.
geobiker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:31 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geobiker39 View Post
The park is huge. Grizzly is on the West side and one of the most popular and busy Park entrances. Lots of vehicles and people on a daily basis just getting into the good stuff in the Park. We stayed at Fishing Bridge (before the remodel) which shortens travel in most directions within the park; even so did I say it is a HUGE Park. We spent a week and wished we had more time. Fishing Bridge is my recommendation. Happy travels.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. After reading everyone’s replies we’ve decided to stay just in Fishing Bridge. Hopefully some members on the forum will be kind enough to post what they thought about the remodel once it opens next month.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettesniper View Post
Thanks for taking the time to answer. After reading everyone’s replies we’ve decided to stay just in Fishing Bridge. Hopefully some members on the forum will be kind enough to post what they thought about the remodel once it opens next month.
I will certainly try to remember to post something when we return to reliable coverage in June.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzent View Post
The Beartooth Highway is spectacular but it goes from the Northeast entrance to Cooke City and up over fantastic mountain scenery to Red Lodge Mt. Best to do this with your Toad as there are some long steep switch backs that can be tough on your brakes if you are not careful. It is closed in winter but usually open by May 1.

From Red Lodge you can take normal Highways 60 miles to either Cody or Billings.
Best to check road opening dates at the last minute, because they can vary a lot from year to year depending on spring weather. When we were there just after Memorial Day in 2019, the road over the Washburn Range had just opened a day or two before, and the Beartooth Highway didn't open until after the first of June.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:37 AM   #13

We did 2 weeks @ Grizzly in 2010 and again in 2018. While in YNP I looked at Fishing Bridge to scope it out. I thought sites looked rather close together and I ruled it out for me. I'll probably take a beating for saying this but it did not look like a CG to maneuver in a 45' motorhome. I'm looking forward to hearing about the remodel I'd love to camp there next trip.

On Edit, I just read about the upper loop. Wow that sounds awesome!
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettesniper View Post
If you had the opportunity of 9 total days for Yellowstone reservations, what is the best way to see the park?

Spend all of your time with Grizzly as a home base, or one of the new spots in Fishing Bridge, or split your time between the two?

We also have 3 nights in the Tetons at Colter RV park planned afterwards as we travel southbound to Colorado so the Yellowstone time is just for that park.
We did a similar trip in 2017. We stayed at Grizzly for 7 days and Colter for 3 days.

My two cents would be to cut the Yellowstone Park visit to 7 days and add two days to the Grand Tetons at Colter RV Park (total of 5 days). You would not regret it, as there were a lot of things we would have like to do in the Tetons that we just didn't have time for.

Seven days in Yellowstone is enough time to see just about everything you'd want to see, especially if you can score one of the new sites at the centrally located Yellowstone Fishing Bridge.
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote