Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Need your comments, we are planing a trip next February to AL and we are planing to stay 6 to 8 weeks at the Gulf Shore State Park before heading West, we usually stay at Dauphin Island, but this year we want to make a change, any comments and advice on the best site, the wife likes beachcombing and I like bird warching and fishing, it would be great if you have pictures also, thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
We stayed there for 3 weeks in Nov. 2010 and loved it. Big beach, bike trails, large sites,etc. But, I can not say what Feb. weather is like.Our site was on the 336 to
408 street, but can't remember the site #.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:00 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I am actually parked at Gulf State Park now, on Live Oak Dr., next to the canal. This is a great park. I think it has 496 sites. It is currently filling up fast with snowbirds primarily from Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Canada. They will stay until mid March, some beyond that. If you want reservations for Feb., MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW. They changed the reservation policy and the snowbirds are currently making reservations for the 2014-2015 winter season. The park keeps most of the lake side sites open for the two week maximun reservation, so the few night stays still have a chance but some people have a way to manipulate that. This park is getting more difficult to get into in the winter. Better act now if you want in for Feb.
lakefront5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #4

I was there a couple weeks ago. Wonderful place. My bride wants to go back next, just stay longer. I was told they are basically booked solid thru March. They may have a few open but very few. I second the call now and check. I stayed on Live Oak as well. Site #17 was great! Good luck
fer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
We stayed there for 3 weeks in Nov. 2010 and loved it. Big beach, bike trails, large sites,etc. But, I can not say what Feb. weather is like.Our site was on the 336 to
408 street, but can't remember the site #.
Thanks for the pictures, it looks like a great place
Old 11-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront5 View Post
I am actually parked at Gulf State Park now, on Live Oak Dr., next to the canal. This is a great park. I think it has 496 sites. It is currently filling up fast with snowbirds primarily from Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Canada. They will stay until mid March, some beyond that. If you want reservations for Feb., MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW. They changed the reservation policy and the snowbirds are currently making reservations for the 2014-2015 winter season. The park keeps most of the lake side sites open for the two week maximun reservation, so the few night stays still have a chance but some people have a way to manipulate that. This park is getting more difficult to get into in the winter. Better act now if you want in for Feb.
Thanks for the advice , I will make reservation as soon as I know the exact date of our arrival.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Take your coats, hats and gloves. We have been there the last two Februarys and it does get cold. Of course, there are nice days. Not much beach activity at that time of year, and concessions and bathrooms will be closed. The campground has a great Mardi Gras parade!
I would post pictures if I knew how!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I think this will work for pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2080172.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	49673   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2090172.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	49674  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2090186.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	49675   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110172.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	49676  

Old 11-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post
Need your comments, we are planing a trip next February to AL and we are planing to stay 6 to 8 weeks at the Gulf Shore State Park before heading West, we usually stay at Dauphin Island, but this year we want to make a change, any comments and advice on the best site, the wife likes beachcombing and I like bird warching and fishing, it would be great if you have pictures also, thanks
I would suggest staying off any of the water (canal or lake) sites in February. It's just to windy and cold on those sites. You better call soon as most if not all sites are booked. They do have a waiting list so call early.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

Thank you all for photos and comments, Zippo we know it can be a little cold that time of year, we normaly spend the winter on Dauphin Island, but we dont mind a little cold as long as the water does'nt freeze. being from Canada anything above freezing is warm for us