Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2023, 12:56 PM   #1

Gunter Hill Campground

This is probably an extension of the question about Reservation.gov. What the heck have they done to the website?

I am trying to decide between visiting friends in Montgomery and fighting mosquitoes in Pensacola. The Florida system, not great, seems to be making much more sense than what is provided for Gunter Hill on Recreation.gov.

The map sucks! I know the part of the park where I want to be but I can't tell where I am from the map. I like the Catoma Loop but wow, what a mess!
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2023, 10:35 PM   #2
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
-- snip -- Gunter Hill on Recreation.gov. -- snip --
Gunter Hill is supposed to be a great COE park. Some say it is their favorite. Keep working on the web site and good luck.

Not sure of the issue. Just brought up the site and it showed availability on that loop. If you are having a problem, shut down the computer and try again. Sympathy for your pain.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:37 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
We've stayed there and it is great. Most any site in Catoma loop is nice.
Piper & John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:26 PM   #4

We like it and have stayed several times. There are a couple more museums in Montgomery we'd like to visit, but I've made the reservation for Pensacola. We're heading out in the fall and might be able to work it in on our return trip home.

The problem I'm having, it doesn't show the roads in the park. There are several campsites in the Catoma loop I want but, I will see if I have better luck on my tablet.

Next time you're in Montgomery, visit Martin's and try their fried chicken, it is as good or better than Mrs. Wilkes in Savannah.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:05 PM   #5

Where did you go in Pensacola? I've been to Ft Pickens and Big Lagoon SP. Really liked Ft Pickens.

I just looked, I see what the OP is talking about, no roads shown, just the campsites. However if you look at the upper right of the map there is a box that says Map/Satellite/Layers and if you select Satellite, you can pretty well see the roads and sites and the site numbers are overlayed on it. Still no loop names however.

This is the clearest map image I could find with Google

The Bootz-Allen Co is a huge company that somehow, by hook or crook, got the contract for Recreation.gov several years ago. Its still a mess, and the maps are horrible. I make it a point to collect paper maps where ever I go, I have a shoe box full of them.

I have no use for them. When the information was transfered over, my account got screwed up and I am no longer able to use my email address, as was being used with Reserve America when they had the account, the system says it is in use by someone else (yes, me) so I have to use an alternate email just for that. I have asked several times in emails if it could be fixed and they don't want to try. I suspect the email address got linked to a dead account or something like that. They would have to search their database and are not willing to do it.

We stayed at Look Rock Campground in GSMNP in October and REC.gov had the map messed up. I selected a site, by number, that was, on their map, across from my friends, but when I got there, I found it was next to them (actually more difficult to go between the sites due to the slope and leaves, etc.) I found the sites were numbered on the ground correctly as per the map the host gave me, but the REC.gov map had them different.

One last suggestion, go to Google Maps, click on the little man to turn on street view. Some campgrounds a full street view drive thru exists (Devil's Tower for instance), others have a photosphere image (the blue dots, full 360 degree stationary images, taken in front of every campsite) (I knew of one to use for an example and it has been converted to a full drive thru). Anyhow, street view can sometimes help. In the case of Gunter Hill, there are about 5 photosphere images and that is all.

Good luck.
Charles
Old 01-09-2023, 06:33 AM   #6

Thanks Charles, I will save that for our next trip to Alabama. I probably have stashed somewhere one of the maps given to us on a previous visit.

We landed at Big Lagoon again. I screwed up and lost the site I wanted but they one I managed to reserve should work. We are right at the size for all the sites that are left, I remember when we visited years ago we barely fit into the site and we're just under 31 feet.

Tags
campground