Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
HamboneTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 931
Harlingen/Brownsville HELP

My family is relocating to Harlingen and planning to live out of the RV for 3-6 months in the Harlingen/Brownsville area. We are a respectful, young family (Iím 34, wife is 32, son is 1.5).

Everything we are finding is age restricted. We are simply looking for a nice resort, pool and a dog park. Weíre quiet, respectful, and definitely arenít looking to be party animals.

Iím Active Duty Military and reporting as a commanding officer of a command in this region.

1. Do these parks make exceptions to age restrictions?
2. Does anyone have recommendations?
3. Does anyone have recommendations of any resorts in the area that arenít age restricted?

Any advice and insight is greatly appreciated!
__________________
Tommy, Tiffany and Trace (along with the 4-legged children: Lexus and Chance)
2005 Alpine Coach 40FDTS
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 21,692
There are 56 RV Parks in Harlingen and 31 in Brownsville


Should be able to find one that meets you/family's needs.
55+ are picky about age so pass on them


Look thru the various listings/reviews...happy hunting


Thanks for your service!


Harlingen, TX Campground Reviews - Best of Harlingen Camping - Campground Reviews
__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
powerboatr's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East Texas
Posts: 4,818
down there thats a TOUGH call
almost all the NICE places are age restricted and than tons close down for summer...I know its nuts
I would call the nice ones you found and explain your situation...i bet you will find a place that opens up for you despite age


most down there are for the winter texans..
__________________
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
HamboneTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
down there thats a TOUGH call
almost all the NICE places are age restricted and than tons close down for summer...I know its nuts
I would call the nice ones you found and explain your situation...i bet you will find a place that opens up for you despite age


most down there are for the winter texans..


I appreciate the response. I think this is my only option. It literally makes no sense to me. Weíre looking at September start, which isnít even the start of busy season.

There are only so many hours in the day to scour the almost 100 campgrounds down there to look for a loophole. I think weíre going to try to find 5 or 6 that meet our wants and call them for an exception.
__________________
Tommy, Tiffany and Trace (along with the 4-legged children: Lexus and Chance)
2005 Alpine Coach 40FDTS
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:45 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
HamboneTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
There are 56 RV Parks in Harlingen and 31 in Brownsville


Should be able to find one that meets you/family's needs.
55+ are picky about age so pass on them


Look thru the various listings/reviews...happy hunting


Thanks for your service!


Harlingen, TX Campground Reviews - Best of Harlingen Camping - Campground Reviews


I appreciate the reply. Thatís part of the problem is how many are down there. Like powrboater below mentioned, I think Iím going to have to resort to calling the ones we are interested in and ask for an exception.

I was just interested to know if anyone had a positive experience with one that wasnít age restricted...

It appears not
__________________
Tommy, Tiffany and Trace (along with the 4-legged children: Lexus and Chance)
2005 Alpine Coach 40FDTS
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jake21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,156
Have you looked at campgroundreviews.com? You can sift through your options pretty fast.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
HamboneTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Have you looked at campgroundreviews.com? You can sift through your options pretty fast.


Yes, Iíve checked. Unfortunately, the majority of what is there is outdated
__________________
Tommy, Tiffany and Trace (along with the 4-legged children: Lexus and Chance)
2005 Alpine Coach 40FDTS
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
DGBPokes's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: May 2010
Location: McAlester Ok
Posts: 2,050
LLando Grande In Mercedes ( perhaps to far) is five star over the top, open all year, over 55. However, Iíve been told they have a 10% exception on the 55 rule.
__________________
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 16,296
Is there a military office that can help you locate housing?

Perhaps contacting a local realtor would give you ideas.

Sometimes mobile home parks have RV spaces for rent and many are geared for families. Here's some that state 'rv spaces':

http://http://www.valleymobilehomepa...amily-park.php


http://www.valleymobilehomeparks.com...amily-park.php


http://www.valleymobilehomeparks.com...amily-park.php
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
HamboneTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Is there a military office that can help you locate housing?

Perhaps contacting a local realtor would give you ideas.

Sometimes mobile home parks have RV spaces for rent and many are geared for families. Here's some that state 'rv spaces':

http://http://www.valleymobilehomepa...amily-park.php


http://www.valleymobilehomeparks.com...amily-park.php


http://www.valleymobilehomeparks.com...amily-park.php


Military resources are geared toward homes specifically. Weíve learned from our most recent tour that acting on advice for picking where to live isnít always the best path. The goal for living in the RV for a while is to make sure that when we decide on an area, it is the right one.

Weíve narrowed down a few leads after many hours of research.

Thanks for the tips. Weíll definitely check this out!
__________________
Tommy, Tiffany and Trace (along with the 4-legged children: Lexus and Chance)
2005 Alpine Coach 40FDTS
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
MnP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
My family is relocating to Harlingen and planning to live out of the RV for 3-6 months in the Harlingen/Brownsville area. We are a respectful, young family (Iím 34, wife is 32, son is 1.5).

Everything we are finding is age restricted. We are simply looking for a nice resort, pool and a dog park. Weíre quiet, respectful, and definitely arenít looking to be party animals.

Iím Active Duty Military and reporting as a commanding officer of a command in this region.

1. Do these parks make exceptions to age restrictions?
2. Does anyone have recommendations?
3. Does anyone have recommendations of any resorts in the area that arenít age restricted?

Any advice and insight is greatly appreciated!
Palmdale RV Resort in Los Fresnos (half way between Harlingen and Brownsville) is no longer +55 but most of your neighbors will be +55> Nice quiet place, nice pool, large lots. No dog park.
__________________
Mike
2014 MS 38RSSB3
2018 Ram 3500 Dually, Auto Level Air Ride, Aisin 3.73
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:52 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
HamboneTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnP View Post
Palmdale RV Resort in Los Fresnos (half way between Harlingen and Brownsville) is no longer +55 but most of your neighbors will be +55> Nice quiet place, nice pool, large lots. No dog park.


I will definitely check that out. Thanks so much!
__________________
Tommy, Tiffany and Trace (along with the 4-legged children: Lexus and Chance)
2005 Alpine Coach 40FDTS
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
rvbiker45's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Dallas, TX area
Posts: 606
Call the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen and ask if they can assist you in your search.
Best of luck.
__________________
Don and Marilynn
'04 Newmar Dutch Star 4010
Spartan Chassis/Cummins ISL 400
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Tulsa to Harlingen Sondis Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 7 12-09-2014 03:36 PM
Excel repair shop in Harlingen, TX mcarth Excel Owner's Forum 1 01-13-2010 07:24 PM
Brownsville TX area Jestme13 South Central Region 13 08-30-2006 11:57 AM
Brownsville>Corpus Christi>Donna. TX Skip298 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 3 10-02-2005 04:09 PM
Brownsville TX campgrounds linway Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 4 01-02-2005 11:09 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.