Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #85

I just signed up for the lifetime membership. I figure if I only use it a few times a year it's worth that. The wine may get expensive though if I know my wife:-)
richamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richamor View Post
I just signed up for the lifetime membership. I figure if I only use it a few times a year it's worth that. The wine may get expensive though if I know my wife:-)
Yes it will... We signed up for the lifetime membership also, but have only used it once. We joined the wine club at the Harvest Host we stayed at and will be getting out first shipment of wine within the next couple of days.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #87

Well, we signed up the other day and are staying at our first Harvest Host - Blue Heron Cheese in Tillamook, Oregon. View is great, people are nice, and we enjoyed the wine and brie in the store. Definitely worth it! We have another one scheduled next week in California, looking forward to it.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Well, we signed up the other day and are staying at our first Harvest Host - Blue Heron Cheese in Tillamook, Oregon. View is great, people are nice, and we enjoyed the wine and brie in the store. Definitely worth it! We have another one scheduled next week in California, looking forward to it.
Spent the eclipse there. A great place. You will find many more. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #89

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thinking of joining next month, Once we're on the road. Right now we are in the middle of selling the house, then it's off to AMERICA !!
Smokey27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #90

We just finished a 12,000 mile circumnavigations of the U.S. and did pat of Canada. We stayed at dozens of Harvest host in both countries. All were wonderful experiences. Chuck
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
We just finished a 12,000 mile circumnavigations of the U.S. and did pat of Canada. We stayed at dozens of Harvest host in both countries. All were wonderful experiences. Chuck

That's the recommendation story I was waiting to hear. I know it's possible to have individual successes, but it's nice to know it can be a dependable regular destination.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #92

One of the biggest issues I'm having with the hosts is that you only get one night and you generally need to arrive early. This means a short day travelling and not much time to see an area. Due to this, we don't get to use the program as much as we'd like.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #93

We used Harvest Hosts sites as intermediate stops between destinations, and not as an alternative to a campground. These were all places we only wanted to stop overnight. The offerings by the harvest hosts were just bonus'. If you need multiple days and hook ups, you need a campground, not a Harvest Host site. There is no comparison to a Harvest Host over a Walmart parking lot or truck stop. Chuck
Old 11-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #94

Except arrival time...
Old 11-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #95

I'm not sure why arrival time is an issue. Harvest Hosts only ask that you arrive before their closing time. We have arrived at 9AM and at 6PM. It simply means good planning for each stop. Not something we have ever found hard to do. Once again, if you need to find a place where you can arrive in the middle of the night, Harvest Host is probably not for you. Neither are many campgrounds without reservations. Chuck
Old 11-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #96

Fleetwood Owners Club
We LOVE Harvest Hosts. We joined in July and have gone to about a dozen different places. By far the best feature we found were the hosts themselves. All Have been friendly, generous, and will treat you like family. Never had a bad experience. Never felt obligated to buy anything even though we do usually. It's fun thing to go to really out of the way places because you get to talk to the hosts and find out things you wouldn't learn at a campground. We are so glad we joined.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
I'm not sure why arrival time is an issue. Harvest Hosts only ask that you arrive before their closing time. We have arrived at 9AM and at 6PM. It simply means good planning for each stop. Not something we have ever found hard to do. Once again, if you need to find a place where you can arrive in the middle of the night, Harvest Host is probably not for you. Neither are many campgrounds without reservations. Chuck
Arrival time is an issue if you hit unexpected traffic, have a long trip planned, travel with kids (talk about unplanned stops!), have an unexpected mechanical issue, etc. Some people even like to drive until <gasp!> 7PM!

In any case, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't work for all people. I've been a lifetime member for over 3 years and we don't get to use it as often as we'd like for the reasons mentioned above. When it works, it's great. If you want to plan your trip around using them, it can work OK assuming the hosts are close enough together. If you travel long distances and don't have the luxury or desire of taking a lot of days to do it, or you like to investigate an area for more than a few hours, then it might not be for you.

Tags
alaska, alaska trip