Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2018, 12:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
We aren’t comparing apples to apples. I live in the south east and do not have a senior card. There are very limited campgrounds. We travel to Raleigh there are not a lot of options in that area that have availability in the peak season for a rig @40 ft. I also tried to get a spot at one of the state campgrounds near Jefferson nc at short notice and have yet to be able to stay there. They always have a handicap spot open but we can’t use that one. They have some shorter electric only spots usually. So I can’t say they have nothing but we avoid spots with steps down to the picnic table. My vertigo is not a good match. Lol

I don’t think there are many harvest hosts in this area either.
Marcie, Have you looked at the campground at the State Fairgrounds?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 04:33 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Just joined yesterday at the $49 rate with a 10% discount. Now locked in at $49 a year. We plan on using it a few times in our up coming 3 month trek.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
We aren’t comparing apples to apples. I live in the south east and do not have a senior card. There are very limited campgrounds. We travel to Raleigh there are not a lot of options in that area that have availability in the peak season for a rig @40 ft. I also tried to get a spot at one of the state campgrounds near Jefferson nc at short notice and have yet to be able to stay there. They always have a handicap spot open but we can’t use that one. They have some shorter electric only spots usually. So I can’t say they have nothing but we avoid spots with steps down to the picnic table. My vertigo is not a good match. Lol

I don’t think there are many harvest hosts in this area either.
If the handicap spot is vacant why cant you use it?
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
If the handicap spot is vacant why cant you use it?
?? So what happens later on when someone with a handicap needs the site? Are you going to move?

There are some parks that release the handicap spot at a certain time of the evening but even then, I'd feel bad if it was needed later than evening.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
The parks I have been in the handicap site is only rented when the rest of the grounds is full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
?? So what happens later on when someone with a handicap needs the site? Are you going to move?

There are some parks that release the handicap spot at a certain time of the evening but even then, I'd feel bad if it was needed later than evening.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Just joined at the $49 rate with the 10% discount code and got this invite link Give 10% off, get $10 in cash when your friends buy from your invite link and you all look like friends.
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by frede View Post
Just joined at the $49 rate with the 10% discount code and got this invite link Give 10% off, get $10 in cash when your friends buy from your invite link and you all look like friends.
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
Just got an email that they have now added golf courses.
Actually, they bought RV Golf Club, which is a membership club that supposedly allows you to boondock at some golf courses. From many reports, most of the clubs listed have never heard of "RV golf club" and do not permit overnighting, not to mention most golf course parking lots aren't RV friendly...
spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #51

Texas Boomers Club
Hello Frede,

Stumbled across this thread yesterday, Harvest Host sounded interesting so I decided to gamble on it, so my new friend, thank you for the discount.

To those that are considering, a very quick tour of potential overnight spots in TX, LA, MS, an AL turned up an interesting mix of spots that included a dairy, winery, several museums, and golf courses. We'll put it to the test this coming spring as we travel from Texas to the mid Atlantic States.
Jerry TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry TX View Post
Hello Frede,

Stumbled across this thread yesterday, Harvest Host sounded interesting so I decided to gamble on it, so my new friend, thank you for the discount.<snip>
You're welcome. I've already found a great brewery close to us that serves a killer pizza and can't wait for Spring to try some of the many wineries near us in Virginia.
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
Old 12-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Frede,

I have stopped at White Barrel near Christianburg, just off I-81 a few times. Really good place with great wines (and entertainment on weekends), but the parking is tight. I suggest going a little farther south into the Yadkin Valley in central North Carolina. There are a few Harvest Hosts there - you won't be disappointed. We like Ragapple Lassie a lot.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 12-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #54

This sounds very nice. Great idea. We often dry camp here and there as we travel and always use places right of the highways. When we’re tired and want to get off the road, we don’t want to wander to far off the main course to camp. I imagine many of these spots are off the beaten path? Yes? No?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Just booked a night at Cartersville Country Winery, SC, just 10 miles off I-95 and half-way on our way to Florida. They said they have plenty of parking and even offered us water and electric. This is going to be much nicer than stopping at a rest stop and the membership just paid for itself.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasOil View Post
This sounds very nice. Great idea. We often dry camp here and there as we travel and always use places right of the highways. When we’re tired and want to get off the road, we don’t want to wander to far off the main course to camp. I imagine many of these spots are off the beaten path? Yes? No?
Yes.

Most are 5-10-15 miles off main highways, some farther. Most (but not all) have challenging roads with narrow spots, tight corners/curves, etc. Most are in the sticks, very quiet, very dark. They are definitely not pop off the highway, sleep, pop back on the highway. But you are not sharing a parking lot with reefer trucks, etc.

Regards.

Chuck