Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
Is it the kind of thing that you could get there early/mid day, drop off the rv and then go tour the area (or the inverse and stay later the next day to tour and leave mid-day) or it is more like a Wal-Mart overnight stop situation?
Each place is different. You'd have to ask for time of stay.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 09:51 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
We’re HH members and highly recommend one of the wineries in our home area, Maize Valley Winery and Craft Brewery. Bill and Michelle Bakan own the place, and it is a working family farm. The food is wonderful, can not say anything about the wine as we don’t drink, but our kids tell us his beer is phenomenal! Bill is also a friend. So when you talk to him, mention we sent you... he’ll get a real kick out of that.

Every year we close our business for the month of November and take off on a “theme vacation “. This year the theme is “Stay Free”. We don’t plan stops or destinations, just a general direction for the day’s travel. If it’s cold, we head further south, raining, head away from the rain, etc. Using HH this year will require making a few calls and setting up our stops two days in advance, but that’s okay too. Eventually we’ll wind up in Arizona, New Mexico or Utah but there’s no itinerary and we prefer the smaller towns to big cities anyway. Talking to the locals has always been the best way to find things to do or see and definitely the best way to meet new friends.
ScubaGrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Just curious...what would one purchase at an alpaca farm?
At one they sold fresh eggs and a few other little things and some socks and yarn or wool or whatever the stuff that comes off alpacas and spun into yarn looking stuff is for knitting. Clearly i dont knit.

The other was a larger farm. He sold nothing on site. He did give us a brouchure for his brothers or something place in texas where he shipped his a;paca fur and they produced all sorts of large thing made from it.

The last guy really did not care if we were interested in purchasing something. He ony gave us the brochure because we had asked. He just liked meeting people. He let me help clean the stalls and feed the animals and had morning coffeee with him and his 90something year old mother before we left.

I also suspect in some places these small farms get some type of tax break for eco tourism and that might be part of thier motivation to particapate.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
I would agree that not knowing locations is somewhat keeping me from joining. It seems like this would be preferable to staying in a Wal-Mart parking lot on our cross country trip, but only if the host sites are along our route and not far from the Interstate. I suppose that is the perk you get when you actually join, but it is also what has kept me from joining as well.
With the number of lot-camping opportunities changing at a moments notice it’s a good idea to have an idea of other options if traveling countrywide and relying on boondocking opportunities. Even now it’s a challenge to find spots at campgrounds on short notice.

I look a lot at harvest hosts and would have joined if we could get farther than a few hours drive from home. As it is out destination is a campground. FWIW our usual boondocking location no longer allows boondocking.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #33
RV LIFE Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
With the number of lot-camping opportunities changing at a moments notice it’s a good idea to have an idea of other options if traveling countrywide and relying on boondocking opportunities. Even now it’s a challenge to find spots at campgrounds on short notice.

I look a lot at harvest hosts and would have joined if we could get farther than a few hours drive from home. As it is out destination is a campground. FWIW our usual boondocking location no longer allows boondocking.

We just were on a 3 month trip from VA to AZ and never had a problem finding a cg. We had planned to use Harvest Hosts once but changed our plans. Other than that we used mostly COE, Elks and Passport America. You can always ask a host if you can stay 2 nights.

We had to travel from Sedalia, MO to VA in the spring and used HH 3 nights, Passport 1 night. Pretty much the only places where we wanted to stop were Harvest Host locations, no other cgs.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We just were on a 3 month trip from VA to AZ and never had a problem finding a cg. We had planned to use Harvest Hosts once but changed our plans. Other than that we used mostly COE, Elks and Passport America. You can always ask a host if you can stay 2 nights.

We had to travel from Sedalia, MO to VA in the spring and used HH 3 nights, Passport 1 night. Pretty much the only places where we wanted to stop were Harvest Host locations, no other cgs.
I guess it depends on where you want to stay or how much you want to pay. Around here the early bird has a spot at the less expensive parks. Sometimes something is available but it’s a crappy spot. There is one spot that is usually available because people don’t feel comfortable working around some trees and a super narrow site and narrow road to get into the spot.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #35
RV LIFE Support Team

My goal is to average $20 or less per night. have the Senior Pass so all Federeal cgs are half-price. Our max so far for Elks is $20.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 10-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #36

Quote:
My goal is to average $20 or less per night. have the Senior Pass so all Federeal cgs are half-price. Our max so far for Elks is $20.
We aren’t comparing apples to apples. I live in the south east and do not have a senior card. There are very limited campgrounds. We travel to Raleigh there are not a lot of options in that area that have availability in the peak season for a rig @40 ft. I also tried to get a spot at one of the state campgrounds near Jefferson nc at short notice and have yet to be able to stay there. They always have a handicap spot open but we can’t use that one. They have some shorter electric only spots usually. So I can’t say they have nothing but we avoid spots with steps down to the picnic table. My vertigo is not a good match. Lol

I don’t think there are many harvest hosts in this area either.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #37
RV LIFE Support Team

Allstays says there are maybe a dozen private cgs and 5 State Parks available for Big Rigs.

We have found we stay in place on Fri/Sat and travel on Sunday when the cgs empty out.

We have found Raleigh Oaks in Four Oaks, about 30-40 miles for Raleigh generally has openings, all big rig. For one night there is Cabello's and Bass.

I looked at Harvest Hosts and there is one in Pine Level and one in Franklinton.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 11-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #38
RV LIFE Support Team

FYI- Harvest Hosts annual price is going up to $79 on 1/1/2019. $49 until then.............It looks like if you are a member by 1/1/19 you are locked into $49.

They just added 25 new locations.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #39

Use discount code radio when you checkout and you'll get 10% off
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:08 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
We joined last year and used a couple of times. Both at wineries and both excellent! Be aware, rate is going up to $79/yr on Jan. 1st but if you join before then, you are grandfathered in at the $49 yearly fee. We used to boondock at Wal-Mart's; Harvest Hosts much better. You can search by route and distance off route so convenient. And as others have said, I can always use wine! We will renew as it is nice to have this option if need be.

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #41

Quote:
FYI- Harvest Hosts annual price is going up to $79 on 1/1/2019. $49 until then.............It looks like if you are a member by 1/1/19 you are locked into $49.

They just added 25 new locations.
Yep. Just got my notice. Wow that is a 75% increase. They said the increase was for our benefit.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Just got an email that they have now added golf courses. Separate pricing, offering reduced thru end of year. If anyone is even considering joining you will definitely want to do before end of year so that you are locked in on reduced rates.

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote