Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Headed to Maine - Late 07-2010

My wife and I are headed to Maine in late July 2010 for about 10 days.
We plan on staying in three areas, Southern Coastal (Wells Beach, Old Orchard, Boothbay Harbor), Mid Coast (Rockport), and in the Bar Harbor area.

We'd like recommendations on sites that could easily fit our 40 ft. motorhome, along with recommendations of things to do as this is our first visit there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Baileys in Old Orchard, Shore Hills in Boothbay,(not Boothbay Hbr), KOA in Bar Harbor. You won't go wrong.
PM me for any specific thing to see, places to go. Depends on family interests, lifestyles and how much money your bringing.
There are a ton of places to go. You are mentioning all coastal spots so I assume you are omiting the better areas?
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Field Trip:

IF you'll be taking a toad along:

would strongly suggest heading straight for Acadia National Park (Bar Harbor), park rig at Bar Harbor RV Park on Rt. #3 (turn L. as you pass over bridge onto Acadia) at North tip of the island (up near Eden/Salsbury Cove), AND....spend a R E L A X I N G ten days touring from there. Ten days visiting all the places you mentioned will be one frenetic experience (too much time spent driving around, settin up, etc. etc.)....unless ya enjoy that sort of thing. Hard to even FIND the roses, let alone smell em, on such a schedule. Steve & Lynette
Old 12-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
One point of interest for many is LL Bean in Freeport. If that is on your schedule, I suggest the Freeport/Durham KOA. From there you could also take day trips south towards Wells and Old Orchard Beach or east towards Boothbay.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Field Trip,
We will also be in Maine next July. One thing we will do is drive up to the northern end of route 1. We will get our picture taken at the sign ending route one (the other side begins route 1. We've already got our picture taken at the other end of route 1, in Key West, Florida. This is kind of a unusual thing, but when one goes that many miles, ya just gotta do it. For me, it's like going to Alaska and not having ones picture taken at the boundary to the Arctic Circle. For me, I just couldn't continue without these special moments being recorded.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
About 50 minutes from Bar Harbor is The Moorings Oceanfront in Belfast on Rt 1. There are photos posted in the campground section of this site. Its not an upscale luxury resort but the views are the best you will find in the area.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Field Trip,
We will also be in Maine next July. One thing we will do is drive up to the northern end of route 1. We will get our picture taken at the sign ending route one (the other side begins route 1. We've already got our picture taken at the other end of route 1, in Key West, Florida. This is kind of a unusual thing, but when one goes that many miles, ya just gotta do it. For me, it's like going to Alaska and not having ones picture taken at the boundary to the Arctic Circle. For me, I just couldn't continue without these special moments being recorded.
GARYKD, Not sure if you have ever been Down East before but I might suggest you do not under estimate the time and distance to the "northern end of route 1".
It's wicked fah. Especially when them damn tourists are here!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bdaball,
Never been to the northern end of RT 1 before. The plan is to take the coach no farther than Caribou. Drive in the toad the rest of the way. Maybe you could provide some insight as to why the RT 1 road is difficult to travel.

As far at the "damn tourists" comment, I put up with it all winter, every winter. Guess it is now my turn.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #9

My wife and I have stayed at Red Apple CG in Kennebunkport, ME just over the line from Arundel, ME. They don't have a lot of big rig sites but but the ones they do have are paved and have full hookups, free WiFi. They're very close to Wells,Moody Beach and barely and hour from Freeport. Just another place to consider. Enjoy the trip
Old 12-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gary, you have no problem driving MH to Fort Kent end of RT#1 good road goes through potato & blue berry, logging country.
Can cross over into at Madawasca to Canada and follow RT#2 down St. Johns river.
Been up that area in both summer and winter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary,
Didn't mean to scare you about Rt#1. Yes, it's a beautiful ride any season. If you see a sign that says MOOSE CROSSING, beleave it. It is a good road just don't expect an interstate. Enjoy the scenery and bring plenty of money. We need tourist dollars.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
My wife were in Bar Harbor in Sept 09, we loved the city especially sunrise on Cadilac Mt, do not miss that. It is a hassle to get up that early but well worth the effort. We stayed at the NARROWS, DON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE. No shade and gravel site, most do not have fire rings. e ate lobester just across the bridge from the camp ground the first night, worst lobester we had in Maine. Bar Harbor is great and we will go back but will do more research on where to stay, by the way very expensive too.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Lamoine State Park is an option for camping in Bar Harbor/Ellsworth area...but in summer always check in advance..also never go up route 1 from Bath to Wiscassett on a Fri PM..you will be in about 2 miles of stop and go and when you come back Sunday you get to do it again..on the second week end in August Winter Harbor, east of Ellsworth, has a lobster festival and lobster boat races..very low key but fun complete with small town parade in PM..Used to live down east and you are not in Maine until you get east of Ellsworth..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Your timing is perfect to take in the Maine Lobsterfest in Rockland Maine. First weekend of Aug. every year. Great time and great food. We stayed in Camden Hills RV Park. Very nice, not far from the action. We did a bunch of other stuff around the area too that was fantastic. It is a must to find the Waterman's Porch or something like that. (the Waterman's part is right). It is a fair drive along the coast from anything and out in the middle of nowhere but serves the cheapest and best lobster dinner you will find anywhere. Just be sure to bring your own bear/wine to go with it. There are some signs along the highway between Rockland and Thomaston pointing to the way but it feels like nowhere when you get there. If you go there you can do us a favor pm me and I will ask you about it. We really enjoyed our time there, just did not have enough of it. The lobster is great. We were told that rockland is the second largest lobster harvesting port in the state.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote