Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 04:38 AM   #1

Heading South from New England

Heading South from Eastern MA this afternoon. Should we stay on 95 and go over the George Washington or take the TappanZee and go around? Traffic and road conditions have us thinking we should go around, but 95 would save time? I have 2 potential spots in mind for an overnight stop depending on how far we feel like driving. Timberlane CG in NJ or Aquiapines in VA. Any other suggestions? many thanks!
VF101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 05:17 AM   #2

South From MA to VA

VF101-

We prefer 84 West, cross Hudson at Newburgh. Then south on 87 to 287, exit to 202 at Bridgewater. Turns into 31 near Amwell, NJ. Then south to join 95 in Ewing, NJ. 95 south through Philly is the worst of it.

Some people go west at Newburgh to 81 in PA, staying away from the metro NJ/NY space entirely.

If you end up on 95 in MD, you may want to consider going around Baltimore on the eastern loop of the Beltway, across the Francis Scott Key bridge, then south on 97 to US 3/301 south. That route avoids Washington, DC. Rejoin 95 south of Fredericksburg, VA. There's stop-and-go traffic in the Crofton/LaPlata, MD stretch, but south of there 301 is an easy drive through the countryside- not at all like the 95 rat race.

On our way home to NH last December we stayed in Ewing, NJ (at a hotel, as campgrounds were closed). That's about as far as we were willing to drive in one day.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
VF101-

We prefer 84 West, cross Hudson at Newburgh. Then south on 87 to 287, exit to 202 at Bridgewater. Turns into 31 near Amwell, NJ. Then south to join 95 in Ewing, NJ. 95 south through Philly is the worst of it.
When you get to Ewing, turn east and stay in Jersey. Head for I 295. That gets you around Philly, right over the Delaware Memorial Bridge to pick up I 95 there.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:32 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
We go 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 in south Carolina, no traffic nice scenery and no stress. The ride is 90 miles longer but well worth it. The first day I go to Troutville VA and stay at cracker barrel. With my toad on a dolly I'm just over50 feet long and you can't tow a dolly on the jersey turnpike or the garden state parkway, I avoid 95 from Washington north at all costs.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:39 AM   #5

Smile

Just did this trip (Fla to Hyannis). Trip home was 95 to 26 to 77 to 81 to 84 then 90 to 495 to Cape Cod. Nice easy travel, wouldn't do 95 all the way. The bridge construction at Milford/Port Jervis is complete. As everywhere we hit a lot of road construction but never delayed. Many places to stay on the way down. Safe travels
Petersr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
We go 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 in south Carolina, no traffic nice scenery and no stress. The ride is 90 miles longer but well worth it. The first day I go to Troutville VA and stay at cracker barrel. With my toad on a dolly I'm just over50 feet long and you can't tow a dolly on the jersey turnpike or the garden state parkway, I avoid 95 from Washington north at all costs.
Mrfix
Tow dollys may not have been allowed in the past but as of the current regulatons they are allowed if carrying a class 1 vehicle. The lights must work on the dolly or the toad.

I also believe a MH can be up to 40 ft and pull a toad, up to 65 ft overall.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VF101 View Post
Heading South from Eastern MA this afternoon. Should we stay on 95 and go over the George Washington or take the TappanZee and go around? Traffic and road conditions have us thinking we should go around, but 95 would save time? I have 2 potential spots in mind for an overnight stop depending on how far we feel like driving. Timberlane CG in NJ or Aquiapines in VA. Any other suggestions? many thanks!
I prefer to go 84 to the Delaware River on 84...cross over to exit 53 in Pa...can stay at Tri-State C/G at that exit , then in am take rt 209 down to Milford,Pa to Stroudsburg,Pa to 80 for 4 exits to rt 33 south to rt 22 thru Allentown to 78 to 81 ...sounds much worst than it is...but a nice route for sure....after 81 , have acouple of options depending on your destination..Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I hate, hate, hate the George Washington bridge. The cross Bronx expressway is horrific. Go around, your suspension will thank you for it.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I hate, hate, hate the George Washington bridge. The cross Bronx expressway is horrific. Go around, your suspension will thank you for it.

Happy Trails!!!
But there is no outbound toll !!!
Old 03-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Tow dollys may not have been allowed in the past but as of the current regulatons they are allowed if carrying a class 1 vehicle. The lights must work on the dolly or the toad.

I also believe a MH can be up to 40 ft and pull a toad, up to 65 ft overall.
Thanks twinboat, I did not know the regs changed. I still want nothing to do with 95.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #11

We ended up taking 95 but going over the Tappan Zee to avoid the GW. Since most of our driving was at night it worked out pretty well. No traffic issues. We did end up on 295 by accident after going around the Baltmore tunnel. Not sure how its possible to take a wrong turn with 3 GPS systems going but we did. 295 was an easy drive but the husband was a bit concerned since it's a Parkway and he wasn't sure about driving a Motorhome on it. Does anyone know?
We ended up at Ocean Lakes and are really enjoying it!
VF101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:13 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
X2 on twin boats post. Too much construction on 95 in Philly. Tight lanes and bumper to bumper all times of the day.

John Mack
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-18-2016, 05:46 AM   #13

Nice to know the construction is finished at Milford/Port Jervis. That was a nightmare.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
On a similar note, I am planning to go from Liberty Harbor in NJ to Normandy Farms in Mass. I have always avoided I-95 in New England, but between these two points it is hard to avoid. To use the Tappan Zee and I-84 adds 60 miles to the route. Looking for advice from those who have used I-95 in this region, and the GW bridge. Is there a time of day that this is viable, or should I drive the extra 60 miles?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote