Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Heading west from NC to CA with several stops in AZ in Jan

My brother & I will be delivering my DW's motor home to her in Escondido CA in January. Leaving from Lexington NC heading south to I-20 then to I-10 and into AZ. Then to Tucson Mountian Park for a day or 2 then up to Sedona for another night or 2. From there to the Grand Canyon. After spending about 2 days in the GC I would like to head to back south before going to Escondido. We will be about a week early for the main festivities in Quartzite. Is there anything happening there around the 10-12th? What would be the best & safest way to get there from the GC. We will be in a 2013 Winnebago Journy 42' towing a car hauler? Maybe we should head down to Yuma instead of Quartzite.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like a fun trip! Just to offer a tip - the weather around Sedona/Flagstaff/Grand Canyon can be pretty bad in January. The elevation in Flagstaff is over 7000 feet. Winter weather has been known to close highways in and around the entire area. Timing could be everything at that time of the year...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #3

As stated, the areas in AZ you want to visit will be cold with a good chance of snow, except for the Tucson Mtn. Park area. Watch the weather carefully. If the roads are clear, the scenery will be gorgeous with the snow.

From Grand Canyon to Quartzsite or Yuma, you could take I-40 west to 95 into Lake Havasu City. Again, watch the weather along I-40 to Kingman. AZ95 is a very good road.

Although the RV Tent Show will not start when you're there, all of the other vendors will be in full operation and thousands will be boondocking in the desert at that time so things will be going on. It's worth a stop even if your AZ destination would be Yuma.

One caution with a 42' motorhome, do not use Hwy 89A from Sedona to Williams/Grand Canyon area or from Prescott to Congress/Wickenburg. It's very steep and winding and it could have snow. Everything in Arizona is about elevation and in winter it's really not comfortable above 4,000' EL.

Have a good trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I know there is a good chance there could be bad weather at the higher elevations and will be prepared for this. The cold I can deal with, bad roads I will not take the motor home , but if the roads are open we will take the 4X4 toad FJ Cruiser. this thing lives for these types of driving conditions. LOL
I am well aware of 89A not sure I could even legally drive the mh on that section up the canyon form Sedona.
Thanks for the info on 95. I was on that hwy about 20 years ago & couldn't remember if it was big rig friendly. Certainly would like to check out Quartzite with everything I have read about it on this forum over the past several years. Sounds like one of those experiences you must do at least once in your life time if you are an rv'er.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tombstone, Yuma Territorial Prison, Sugaro NP
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote