Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Smile Hello All - Any advice appreciated

My husband and I are planning a trip this fall (9/28 thru 10/12) to the Big 5 Parks in Utah. We have never RV'd before, but would like to rent a 24 ft (RVshare.com) to make sure we like it before we purchase. Planning on flying into Vegas, getting RV, then off on our adventure for 14 days, returning back to Vegas. At that time of year, do we need reservations at RV parks? Any suggestions, advice will be greatly appreciated.Thanks so much!
Monicafeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #2

Not sure about reservations... haven't been there in many yrs. If your schedule is firm why not be safe and make res?
My only comment would be don't try to do all 5 in 14 days. Pick top 3 and take time to really enjoy the parks vs the highways.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I cant answer that. Hope the trip works out great for you! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #4

My comment is a little different on your post.
Please do not judge the RV / lifestyle based on your rental. Our neighbors had never been in an RV and rented one in Alaska. They came back and hated it. The rental my be a stripped out version with little to no features. After talking with them a while about their experience I understood their dislike and frustrations. I showed them both my RV and some of the basic and standard features they were missing on their rental and they said "well if we had some of these things our trip would have been much better." Just like a rental car they are usually not taken care of as well and have less features to keep the costs and repairs down. Maybe try looking at a dealer lot to see the RV you are going to rent before so that you can see if the size and floorpan is going to work for you. After your trip you might know better what things you don't want in an RV, and what things you wish it had.
Good Luck!
2019 Fleetwood *SOLD*
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #5

The time frame of your trip is not during the heavy RV travel season. You shouldn't have any problems staying at campgrounds without reservations. Driving an RV is usually more fatiguing than driving a car, especially with an entry level Class C RV. As a rule of thumb, traveling about 300 to 350 miles a day is a good average. Figure you'll average 50 mph or less.

Also, allow yourselves to be flexible. If you need a day to rest after traveling a lot of miles, then stop for a day. A vacation should be a restful experience rather than being too stressed out by trying to see too many attractions by driving too many miles in too few days.

Best wishes for a fun and relaxing vacation.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
Dom

We did that trip last year at the same time. Some places sgut down around Oct 1 but did manage to get drive up camping at any that were still open. There is a nice KOA in Cedar City
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #7

I would try for Zion Nat'l Park - Watchman campground or there a RV park in nearby Springdale for 2 nights. Then drive to the North Rim of Grand Canyon for 2 nights. Stay in Jacob Lake (no lake) at the RV park. Off to Bryce national park and by that time you will be used to operating the RV systems and perhaps try dry camping.

At Jacob Lake empty your holding tanks and fill your fresh water when leaving. Go to Bryce and there are two very nice campgrounds in the park but they don't have hookups so you'll need to run off your fresh water tank and conserve your electric use greatly because you'll be on battery power. You could easily dry camp for 2 nights. Hike below the Rim - awesome! There's also Ruby's RV just outside the park's entrance and they have lots of sites for no reservations.

Then there's Capitol Reef which would be dry camping in a lovely campground or there are RV parks in Torrey.

Finally, Arches Nat'l Park - dry camping or RV park in Moab.

The only place you might have difficulty without reservations would be Zion.

We always traveled without reservations even for our 40' motorhome but then, we love dry camping or boondocking on public lands so spaces were easier to get if you don't need electric.

Good luck!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:55 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great idea to rent before you buy, you'll learn what things about an RV you like and don't like.

Do a walk around of the RV and video it for any damage before you take off on the trip.

Make sure you notify your credit card company you are travelling out of state.

Try to get into your campground at least an hour before dark so you can get setup without any problems.

At a half tank start looking for a gas station. It can be a long ways between stations here in the west.

Be sure you understand how to dump the gray and black tanks!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicafeeley View Post
My husband and I are planning a trip this fall (9/28 thru 10/12) to the Big 5 Parks in Utah. We have never RV'd before, but would like to rent a 24 ft (RVshare.com) to make sure we like it before we purchase. Planning on flying into Vegas, getting RV, then off on our adventure for 14 days, returning back to Vegas. At that time of year, do we need reservations at RV parks? Any suggestions, advice will be greatly appreciated.Thanks so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I would try for Zion Nat'l Park - Watchman campground or there a RV park in nearby Springdale for 2 nights. Then drive to the North Rim of Grand Canyon for 2 nights. Stay in Jacob Lake (no lake) at the RV park. Off to Bryce national park and by that time you will be used to operating the RV systems and perhaps try dry camping.

At Jacob Lake empty your holding tanks and fill your fresh water when leaving. Go to Bryce and there are two very nice campgrounds in the park but they don't have hookups so you'll need to run off your fresh water tank and conserve your electric use greatly because you'll be on battery power. You could easily dry camp for 2 nights. Hike below the Rim - awesome! There's also Ruby's RV just outside the park's entrance and they have lots of sites for no reservations.

Then there's Capitol Reef which would be dry camping in a lovely campground or there are RV parks in Torrey.

Finally, Arches Nat'l Park - dry camping or RV park in Moab.

The only place you might have difficulty without reservations would be Zion.

We always traveled without reservations even for our 40' motorhome but then, we love dry camping or boondocking on public lands so spaces were easier to get if you don't need electric.

Good luck!
---------

As is normally the case - TwoGypsies advice is on target.

Just a thought or two that I always have for the end of September - Aspen and Colorado - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - Even if you only touched Colorado for a couple of days in September it will not disappoint, not trying to dish Utah at all, as it will also be memorable, but to combine it with a couple days with the Aspen might just set the Hook and Reel you into the RV life

Not trying to over fill your Plate but you could also consider - North Rim/Page/Lake Powell/Slot Canyons/Monument Valley - as more options for your trip.......................

Images - https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.tbFm8np5nVY

One more personal Note here - Three of my all time Most Memorable trips - were Zion/Bryce - North Rim - and Colorado Aspen - so IMHO .........No Wrong choices............just Never enough TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Needed or not, I highly recommend reservations in your case.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
To me, limited time + inexperience = reservations. It takes a lot of stress away knowing you have a site for the night even if something holds you up on the road. It is your first time in an RV, so I would also recommend staying in campgrounds with electricity. Make sure you see the other type of campgrounds so you can dry camp on subsequent trips. You are really on the tail end of the season, and Bryce could be cold. BTW, the state of Utah has a great tourist site. See https://www.visitutah.com/places-to-.../the-mighty-5/ and wander around there to get some good information.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #12

We've been to Bryce as late as the 3rd week of October and it's a beautiful time, especially for hiking.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #13

Our best trip was the week before Christmas - 70 and shorts in Zion - fresh snow and the best Sunset ever in Bryce.

October should be a Breeze.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:47 PM   #14

If you go to Moab, consider Dead Horse State Park about 30 minutes to the west. Great rv sites with electric. Dump station. Incredible views from the overlook. About $40/night and nice visitor's center.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190207_092811.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	240838

I know you don't have a lot of time for everything to see but you will have a great trip.

Tags
advice