Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2022, 03:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
Being a newbie and only having 5 days you might want to scale down the trip. That is a lot of driving and time to actually camp, hike, etc will be minimal. Kids don't enjoy sitting in a bouncy motorhome no matter how many gadgets they bring. Consider a 100 -150 mile radius, then you have a 2 days driving and 3 days there to have fun.
I agree with above post. We have camped with 2yr old granddaughters and extended travel in motorhome is not easy. Scale down your trip.
ThorAce2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #30

Just got back from a trip from LA to SF. When we left, the 5 was closed at the Grapevine due to snow, so we drove the 101 the whole way up and the 5 all the way back. 101 was open all the way up, but there were a few sections that were down to a single lane due to construction which caused multi-hour crawls. Took 9.5 hrs from LA to SF.
XXXEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:29 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh, how I love that trip! My wife, two young kids, and I did that trip in 1978 in a 1974 Volkswagen Campmobile that we bought just for that trip. That was our first RV and we loved it and the trip. We were sharing memories of that very trip on Christmas Eve just last week with our now adult kids and their kids via the marvelous capabilities of the internet and Zoom.

Thank you for the pleasant stroll down memory lane!

Best Regards,
Frank
Old 01-02-2022, 08:22 PM   #32
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Car-go View Post
...........want to travel 5 days from January 3 to January 8. We want to visit Sequoia Park, Carmel by the sea, San Francisco and all which is of interest. But! .. I am alarmed by the weather.......
These are some of our favorite places to visit. Sequioa National Park will be below freezing but check for access in the event of winter storms. Don't forget a stop in Solvang, Pismo Beach or Oceania/Half Moon Bay and Moss Landing. Travel 101 north to Carmel and San Francisco. Access Sequioa from Fresno off CA99. Be careful returning south over the I5 Grapvine due to closures in the event of snow. However, consider avoiding the Grapvine with its heavy truck traffic and steep grades going south out of Bakersfield. There are other routes, albeit longer.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:27 PM   #33

Well OP.... looks like you'll be starting your trip tomorrow. Please give us a trip report when you return. Hope all goes well!! Have fun.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Well OP.... looks like you'll be starting your trip tomorrow. Please give us a trip report when you return. Hope all goes well!! Have fun.
In post #21 the OP said he moved the trip back to start on 1/7.
I hope he returns to tell us what they did and how it went.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXEsq View Post
Just got back from a trip from LA to SF. When we left, the 5 was closed at the Grapevine due to snow, so we drove the 101 the whole way up and the 5 all the way back. 101 was open all the way up, but there were a few sections that were down to a single lane due to construction which caused multi-hour crawls. Took 9.5 hrs from LA to SF.
Great advice! Thanks!
S-Car-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Start January 6.
I will definitely write about the road! I hope for your kind advice if I have any difficulties.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
In post #21 the OP said he moved the trip back to start on 1/7.
I hope he returns to tell us what they did and how it went.
RV inspected, pick it up at 10:00 am January 6
Old 01-02-2022, 11:47 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Car-go View Post
RV inspected, pick it up at 10:00 am January 6
When you pick it up do a walk around with your cellphone and video the entire outside of it, preferably with the rental manger at your side.

Have him or her remove the sewer connection cover....that way if someone hasn't closed the valves properly the manager will get the dodo and not you.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:25 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Do 200 to 300 miles per day and enjoy the time at thw stops.
MEC57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:37 AM   #40

I have done many trips with my kids starting at 6 moths old now they are 17 ant 21.
Long driving trips make everyone short on temper. I would plan on no more than 250 fun miles a day. Remember you may be able to stay in a rest stop if you are not at final destination. Let the kids out and run around every hour and a half or so unless they are sleeping. Watch your down hill grades !
Put tranny in lowest of gears and do not over use brakes or over heat them. Don’t try to do 500 in a day. That’s really not necessary.
Have a good time.
Telephonebil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:44 AM   #41

I'd like to add one thing. Not really for the OP but others following this thread. My wife's family is in the Santa Cruz area and we live in the Long Beach area. We have made that drive, round trip, close to 100 times over the years. One good trick for me is to leave a few hours after dinner, maybe 7PM. After about about 2 hours, the wife and kids would be asleep and I could drive until mid night in peace and quiet. Some trips we'd stop in Paso Robles or King City and finish up the last hour or so the next day while eating breakfast. After trying nearly every route, I like taking 5 to 46 and then to 101. You drop into Paso Robles, skipping all the traffic on 101 through the valley and Santa Barbara. I'd only take 101 the whole way if we wanted to stop in one of the towns or the weather was bad on the grapevine. In a car I take 154 in Santa Barbara, in an RV I'd stay on 101. The time difference is not that big because 154 is windy and has a 55 speed limit. The CHP likes to sit at the bottom of the grade going north where it is straight and easy to be way over the speed limit.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
When you pick it up do a walk around with your cellphone and video the entire outside of it, preferably with the rental manger at your side.

Have him or her remove the sewer connection cover....that way if someone hasn't closed the valves properly the manager will get the dodo and not you.
thanks! I will definitely make a video

Tags