Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #1

Help finding campground openings

Hi All

I heard somewhere that there is an app/web site that can help in finding available campgrounds & available sites. "They" (can't remember where I heard it!)you can enter a zip code to the area you wish to travel & it will give that information. I've spent COUNTLESS hours trying to find available campgrounds/sites, etc. Is there an easier way? Example, we want to travel to the St. Augustine area & couldn't find anything available anywhere - it takes SO much time to research. I'm flexible with the time frame (retired) but I'm looking months out & find nothing available Any help is appreciated.
peg806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #2

I never heard of such a site.... perhaps you can do that on the ReserveAmerica site?

If you go inland a little and pick a smaller town sometimes that helps.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We try for COE or St Parks during the week, S-Th. Then look for private parks weekends. F-S.
This is working for us. From N TX to S TX in Nov. 2020.
Helps with costs and Covid distancing.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Maybe I didn't understand what you are looking for, but you can find anything (RV site) you want anywhere using RV Parky (free) website. I use it to discover all RV sites in a specific location then I use Campground Reviews to learn more about specific sites. There are other tools like RV Trip Wizard, but it is not free.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #5

As far as locating campgrounds, there are numerous apps. In addition, Google Maps, you get the area on the screen you want to look in and search for campground, and it will pinpoint many campgrounds.

I think, however, the OP is trying to find campgrounds with open sites. That requires you to either call or use the reservations system of private campgrounds, use the reservations website for the state parks or for Federal parks and areas.

There is NOT one central clearinghouse of campgrounds that lists openings.

Charles
Old 11-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg806 View Post
Hi All

I heard somewhere that there is an app/web site that can help in finding available campgrounds & available sites.
If you are looking for something like TripAdvisor, Hotels.com, etc. that are aggregators for open/available spots, there is no such thing for RV parks/sites. At best you might try ReserveAmerica for those public parks they serve. Most private/commercial parks are independently owned and operated.
spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I once wanted to stay in Moab on relatively short notice. I ended up making a list of the campgrounds and their phone numbers and just kept calling. I finally found a place for a week during a busy time (but had to move within the CG 3 times during that week).

There is no magic pill that I know of. And it does take a lot of time and perseverance.

I'll just guess based on the timing of Peg806's question and statement of "...looking... ...months out...." that it is the winter time that he wants to stay (Nov - March/April). FL fills up fast for those months years ahead of time.

I use the Campground Reviews web site, Allstays app, and RV Trip Wizard for locating suitable campgrounds, try their web site for availability and call when necessary (which is often).
Old 11-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
You can't even ask Google or Alexa that, and you can ask them a bunch of questions. The world hasn't evolved to that point yet. Without a universal reservation system, nothing is going to be able to tell you all the available sites in a geographic area. I'm not sure you could do that with hotels / rooms. Nice if it existed.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:23 PM   #9

From your Profile you have a 27' travel trailer. Have you tried the state parks? They are awesome! I believe you can plug in dates on their site. There are also county parks. With your size RV you really shouldn't have a problem if you're looking for months away. You may have to expand the area and not right in St. Augustine.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground