Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
jor

Looking for a good campground to spend a month or two in the Hill Country of Texas, somewhere around San Marcos. Looking for good rate and nice campground.
Thanks, jor
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
jor

Looking for a good campground to spend a month or two in the Hill Country of Texas, somewhere around San Marcos. Looking for good rate and nice campground.
Thanks, jor
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There are a lot of Texas Boomers about, so I know you will get more suggestions. I don't know if San Marcos is really "Hill Country" . Our favorite park in the Hill country is down the road a piece in Kerrville. Its Buckhorn RV PARK, link to it Here. Right off I-10 in Kerrville. Exceptionally clean well manicured RV Resort. Close to all sorts of Hill Country attractions including Fredricksburg (Yum German Food) and Bourne.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #4

We stayed for a couple of weeks at the By the River campground in Kerrville. last March It's not fancy, but the price is pretty good and the wireless internet works some of the time. There is another bigger park just downriver from there that probably has more amenities. It was a pretty good location on the Guadalupe River. We also stayed at the Fredericksburg RV Park a couple of years ago. It was a pretty good park well-located with respect to downtown Fredericksburg, but nothing scenic. It also had wireless internet that worked pretty well as I remember.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:04 AM   #5

San Marcos is a lot more like a suburb of San Antonio than a part of the hill country. If that is where you want to be, there are a couple of pretty nice campgrounds right on the interstate North of San Marcos. Would not be my first choice if I really wanted to be in the hill country. I would move over to either Kerrville or Fredericksburg. Lots of choice over there.
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #6

We camp at Guadalupe River State Park 1-800-792-1112 for imfo.or go to Texas Parks@Wildlife and look over areas you might like.We also camp a bunch at Inks Lake and Garner.Lots to pick from.
srds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #7

You can also try www.traveltex.com if you want to check out some places.
srds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a park in Fentress, TX just East of San Marcos on the spring-fed San Marcos River that I've seen good reviews on. I haven't stayed there but its close to San Marcos but its also East which is away from the hills. San Marcos is on the fault line that separates the Hill Country from the coastal plains that run down to the Gulf.

If you go a few more miles South to New Braunfels then look to the West at parks on the Guadalupe River you will find lots of good places to camp. We've stayed at Camp Hueco Springs and at the Lazy L&L and both are right on River Road, which, coincidentally, is right on the river. Those camps will put you into the Hill Country setting.

There are dozens and dozens of campgrounds in the Hill Country and all you need is you favorite campground rating book or site to help you navigate away from the turkeys.