Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Houston Area Campground

We will be in Houston for a night or two this summer and I'm looking for a campground on the west side of town. What I would really like is one that is safe and clean and in town as we will be there to visit family. I know here in Southern California there are a few suburban campgrounds that fit the bill.

If anyone has any tips for Houston I would appreciate it.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try:

Traders Village RV Park Houston
7979 N Eldridge Pkwy
Houston TX 77041
281-890-5500
houstonrv@tradersvillage.com

It has a huge flea market on the week-end.

Otherwise, clean quiet park. No extra room between spaces in the short term section. Stayed there a couple nights last week. Won't hesitate to go back.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cliff,
There are a lot of options in the Metropolitan area, and two that I know of that are "in" the city.

First, there is a brand new one called Advanced RV Park located 9 miles due South on Hwy 288. I have personally visited this park when driving by and can say that it is a very acceptable park by our standards. It is actually a Pearland, TX address. Tom Bass Regional Park is nearby, and an Outdoor World - Bass Pro Shop just across 288.

Closer to downtown, near the Astrodome are:

1. South Main RV Park
2. Lake View RV Resort (Looks nice from satellite view)

I have not visited the above two sites, and I need to do that.

If you look at the RV Park Reviews for Houston you will see some others, with reviews.

Now if you want to get "away" from the hustle bustle of the city, then the first one is better, and there are plenty within a 20-25 mile radius of downtown Houston. I live 40 miles South of Houston so give a holler if you want some other places.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Cliff,
There are a lot of options in the Metropolitan area, and two that I know of that are "in" the city.

First, there is a brand new one called Advanced RV Park located 9 miles due South on Hwy 288. I have personally visited this park when driving by and can say that it is a very acceptable park by our standards. It is actually a Pearland, TX address. Tom Bass Regional Park is nearby, and an Outdoor World - Bass Pro Shop just across 288.

Closer to downtown, near the Astrodome are:

1. South Main RV Park
2. Lake View RV Resort (Looks nice from satellite view)

I have not visited the above two sites, and I need to do that.

If you look at the RV Park Reviews for Houston you will see some others, with reviews.

Now if you want to get "away" from the hustle bustle of the city, then the first one is better, and there are plenty within a 20-25 mile radius of downtown Houston. I live 40 miles South of Houston so give a holler if you want some other places.
I would endorse Advance RV Park. I stayed several days at the Advance RV park in Houston. It was perfectly fine for a base of operations while we visited family in Houston. It is very close to the freeway and you will hear some traffic when outside your rig but not inside the MH. We travel with dogs and by far the best part of the location is that it is literally next to a large regional park -- there is a chain link fence that separates the RV park from the regional park but there are gates to enter the park. We were able to take the dogs for long daily walks in the park during our stay. If you plan to spend a lot of time onsite outside your rig (cooking or reading) it might be a little noisy. But the grounds and pad sites are well maintained and in good order. This stay was our maiden voyage in a Class A so I don't remember a lot of details except that the camp host was very attentive and offered much assistance to "newbies" regarding hooking up to everything. I would return there if I visit my family in Houston again.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
If you're really looking for something on the WEST (I-10W) side of Houston, the only ones that come to mind are:

Houston West RV Park - Brookshire, closest to Houston. This is an old former KOA park that we've never stayed in.

Happy Oaks RV Park - Alleyton (between Sealy and Columbus, TX). We've never stayed here, either.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #6

We go to Houston a lot to visit my m-i-l. The closest in place to her I've found is Allstar RV Resort:(she lives near Beltway 8 and Westhiemer which is west side)
http://www.allstar-rv.com

It is no resort by any means, it has tight pull thru spaces and most back in spots are actually "lived in spots". But it is close, clean, and serves the purpose. The park is at the intersection of Beltway 8 and Hwy 59 south, but it is far enough back to be quiet. It is also almost next door to PPL motorhomes which is a huge consignment place and has a big parts/accessories store to browse.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

Houston RV RESORT!

We have stayed here many, many times and loved each and every moment. We also visit family when in Houston and they love this resort too. It is the very best that Houston has and I would highly recommend it.

Lakeview RV Resort www.lakeviewrvresort.com
lin6350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to everyone for their input. Ultimately we stayed at Traders Village. It was the closest recommended location to where we needed to be. I was a bit nervous about the flea market at the same location since we stayed on a Saturday night. Without the recommendation on this site I probably wouldn't have stayed there. My fears were baseless.

I was very happy with this location as a Houston base. This is certainly not a destination campground but that isn't what I was looking for. What it is, is a clean, safe, quiet home base for Houston. I will stay there again when in town visiting family in the future.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff841 View Post
Thanks to everyone for their input. Ultimately we stayed at Traders Village. It was the closest recommended location to where we needed to be. I was a bit nervous about the flea market at the same location since we stayed on a Saturday night. Without the recommendation on this site I probably wouldn't have stayed there. My fears were baseless.

I was very happy with this location as a Houston base. This is certainly not a destination campground but that isn't what I was looking for. What it is, is a clean, safe, quiet home base for Houston. I will stay there again when in town visiting family in the future.
Cliff, if you would take the time and enter this information in RV Park Reviews it could possibly help others that need similar information. RV Park Reviews :: Home
Old 07-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #10

Howdy!

You might want to check out "Spring Creek Park" located in Tomball, TX which is not far away. Spring Creek Park is a county park nice clean secure. It has about eight FHU sites (50 amp) with concrete pads. The great part is the RV sites are FREE! You will need to call and make reseverations # 281-353-4196.

Website
Harris County Precinct 4

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #11

Hi Cliff.
I stayed at the Houston West RV park just a few days ago. It was clean and I found the people in the office and our neighbors to be friendly. Even though it is close to I-10 we did not hear any road noise in our small Class A. I has a clean pool which is very helpful in this terrible heat. The rate is reasonable. The sites pads and internal roads are gravel and level. The space in between the sites are wide and mostly grass but the heat is making short work of that. Easy on and off to I-10
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote