Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2020, 04:46 AM   #1

How are the crowds at Yellowstone?

I have been reading conflicting articles with some saying less people from other countries and some saying everyone in the US is at Yellowstone.

What are the crowds really like??

Thanks!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #2

We were there last month. Having been our 1st time their I couldn’t tell you from 1st hand experience. But several of the rangers told me it was a lot less crowded. Mostly due to the tour buses not running.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Currently there and I’d say the crowds are a little less than normal. You can walk on the boardwalks without waiting on the short foreign person using the selfie stick to take the darn pictures while blocking the boardwalk. Had to wait 40 minutes to be seated for dinner in W Yellowstone last night... plenty of empty tables but too many people per the new rules.

Went in fairly early this morning 7:45 and took 4-5 minutes to get in the gate. Other than some Bison jams in the Lamar Valley (probably 1000+ of them) traffic was lite. Dumb road rerouting at Old Faith so that’s probably the worst area although the road between Tower and Cannon is closed for the next year.

Was able to get into our favorite USFS CG with 2 big rigs ($10 with old farts pass) by getting there at 9AM and waiting for people to leave. $28 for electric without the pass.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
I have been reading conflicting articles with some saying less people from other countries and some saying everyone in the US is at Yellowstone.

What are the crowds really like??

Thanks!
We were there in late June early July - we found the crowds - Heavy, but workable in most locations - the CG's were all Full.

Easy way is to look at the Web Cams - all around the Parks ;

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photo...ia/webcams.htm

Hard to argue with a Live View.

Enjoy, as Americans are out and enjoying the Parks,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #5

We have spent the last 3 days in Yellowstone and camped at Grizzly RV. West Yellowstone. Went in 7:30 yesterday morning...no line. Came out at 11:30 and the lines were backed up to the traffic light in West Yellowstone. Sunday the monitor at the General Store said traffic was light. I think it was lighter last week than this week. Buffalo Jam last night, but we saw a complete herd up front and personal in Custer State Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	249D63E8-1B6B-4AD7-A460-3C61B135EFF9.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	295813  

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I did try and book for W Yellowstone RV Parks 10 days ago with no luck mainly because the 2nd rig is having house battery problems... helps to have electric hookups which it has currently for $8/night...$28 total instead of $70 in W Yellowstone.

We did a loop drive yesterday going in at W Yellowstone (7:45 ^^^), up to Mammoth (stopping several times), through the Lamar Valley (several Bison jams) and out the NE entrance around to Cody. Lunch and 3 hours at the Wild Bill Cody Museum. Back into the East entrance to Fishing Bridge (a little construction there) and N to Canyon (NO current road construction but some Bison jams) stopping at both falls overlooks. Back to W Yellowstone...12 hours total with 4 hours in Cody. No way to do that if traffic was bad. The stops had fewer people than normal and everyone was speaking English for a change.

I’d say now is a great time for Yellowstone IF you do not need FHUs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C1702656-A87C-4FF3-B91F-8F3B14289E27.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	295819   Click image for larger version

Name:	A851D1C9-4388-491F-A5C4-1DE1807196E4.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	295820  

Old 08-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #7

We've always found that July & maybe the 1st 2 weeks of August are the busiest in the national parks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #8

My wife and I are thinking about driving to Cody, WY and making day trips to Yellowstone, Teton, Bighorn area 3rd week of Aug (17-21). Are there enough schools starting up by then to give us some marginal relief from the big crowds? I also see that Sturgis Bike Week ends on the 16th and wondering if the following week would be pretty heavy motorcycle traffic when the rally breaks up.
3miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3miles View Post
My wife and I are thinking about driving to Cody, WY and making day trips to Yellowstone, Teton, Bighorn area 3rd week of Aug (17-21).
You are going to have very long days of driving if doing all that from one base.

Why not move to Teton NP early morning after doing Yellowstone? Stay at Colter Bay or Gros Ventre campgrounds. Each has 300 non-reservable sites and you're sure to get one at that time. You can make better use of your time and will be able to do more in the park without rushing to do the long drive back to Cody.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You are going to have very long days of driving if doing all that from one base.

Why not move to Teton NP early morning after doing Yellowstone? Stay at Colter Bay or Gros Ventre campgrounds. Each has 300 non-reservable sites and you're sure to get one at that time. You can make better use of your time and will be able to do more in the park without rushing to do the long drive back to Cody.
Not to get off track but can those campgrounds accommodate 40' coaches?
We are headed up that way about 3rd or 4th week of this month.
We sure like USFS CGs and NPs if we can get our 40' into a site
Ivylog, any recommendations of campgrounds? We're not much into RV parks unless no other option.

3 Miles, maybe we'll see ya up there.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #11

Yes, Colter Bay and Gros Ventre can accommodate a 40' MH. We've been there many times. Get there early morning, if possible.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad5 View Post
if we can get our 40' into a site
Ivylog, any recommendations of campgrounds? We're not much into RV parks unless no other option..
Here’s my post on the Tetons: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/so-w...-492001-8.html If you have a handicap sticker, use it as every night there were several of those unused. Staying in the overflow area is a good option as less traffic and park so you have afternoon shade. We dumped and filled with water the night before we left as the incoming vehicles block getting out in the morning.

Colter bay has a RV Park and a CG... both will handle 40’. Staying there will get you through Yellowstone sooner so you can get to Baker’s Hole USFS CG 2 miles north of W Yellowstone before 10AM...no reservations. Unhook outside and cruise the CG looking for those leaving that day...dates on the post at each site. We had a couple text us when they were pulling out so we could snag their site... #13 no electric and our daughter 42’, got #16 with electric.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:02 AM   #13

We're heading out to Grand Teton and Yellowstone from Mesa, AZ tomorrow. We have reservations at Headwaters CG at Tetons Aug 14th to 18th and Grant Village CG at Yellowstone Aug 18th to 22nd. Made reservations in January. Yep, we'll take a week to get there stopping along the way.

Safe travels.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #14

Just got back today from a 5 day stay. We tend to go every other year. It was as crowded as I have ever seen it, even while hiking in more out of the way locations. And I have never seen so many people using class A's and large C's as sight-seeing transportation. I guess the lack of international tours has opened up the bus parking at some of the more visited sights, but they were everywhere.
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone