Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think private CG's will have a better selection of sites that are level, especially for larger RV's. State Parks you run the gambit where most sites are large and level and some parks where you better know what you are reserving because of not being level or trees blocking your awning. I'll keep a database of sites at the state parks we stay at. I'll also visit other state parks in the area for future stays and mark down sites with pictures to reserve at a later trip.

For this summer I just finished reserving 6 weeks (44 nights) in the state parks of OH,PA & WV. For the West Virgina State parks (2) I have not visited them, so I relied on Google maps, Bing, and one of our fellow IRV2 members.

I few state parks and national parks are posting pictures of every site in their parks on their website. Very helpful in determining if there are any trees blocking you getting in and being able to put out your slides and awning.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyscarlett View Post
I think one of the best pieces of information I have gotten is the Google Earth idea. However, I don't know how recent the pictures are. Just for grins, I pulled our home location to see what it looked like on GE and the same picture was there for over a year. In any case, I agree with all of you. Great information. . .
It's a great tool but don't expect the photos to be updated very frequently... if ever. That's just not what they do.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
It's a great tool but don't expect the photos to be updated very frequently... if ever. That's just not what they do.
Yes, I understand...Mostly I like to get a shady site..(state parks)..

Last summer was looking at a Google Earth of a Kentucky State Park...The site I was looking at appeared to be under water ??? in the lake from the Google map. How could this be? I called that park office...I asked " This may sound stupid, but it appears my site is underwater, I have a RV not a boat" And they confirmed, two years ago the lake flooded and rose 30'...What?? Yes 30 feet, The water made it to within 2 feet of the top of the shower building, hence, they had to rebuild the whole campground. They did a nice job of re-building Nolin Lake State Park KY. Hard to tell from the pictures, but the campsite was at least 15' above the water level.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #32

I have found the internet to be very useful. You can search and area or a specific campground. Most campgrounds now have web sites so you can often see pictures of the campground and area around the campground. They also typically list there price and what they have available. If you look online there are also manny reviews for campgrounds in a given area I have found these to be useful.
Also while traveling if I see a location that interests me I will go in and look around and if I like the campground I will add it to places to go in the future.
Then after I have been to a location I may have some piticular sites that I especially like, so the next time I can request a piticular site.
Good luck happy camping.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use Flickr (online photo site) to help in my site selection for a state park in Ohio I have over-nighted there before, I had driven thru the park (Tar Hollow) and jotted down a few sites. The picture (Site with VW camper) on Flickr and Google maps helped to know the site will have at least some shade, especially since knowing the orientation of the sun will keep the site in the shade most of the day.

Now getting back to how updated a photo of Google map image is. For some reason I'm jinxed. About 4 times now I have reserved a site and when we arrived the trees are gone...I mean gone !!! Last year at a Ohio State park near Cincinnati, they took out 1000 ash trees just before the season. We happened to be at the same park the year before, so when we pulled in...I said while driving thru the park...Are we in the right park ?? something is very different....Lucky, we had a different site than the year before, because that site is now 100% sunny. Our new site had 2/3 of the trees taken out, but still offered some shade, but I noticed there were more trees tagged to be cut down in the future there.

Two years ago in a PA state park reserved a site that had two 5' diameter white pines in back of the site...for total shade. Arrived to now to find two 20' tall stumps (wind storm)...

Another Cincinnati park, reserved a site from a drive thru the year before. They had a tornado go threw that spring. 700 trees lost...Now the site we thought had 5-6 large trees, now had 1 left.

You just never know.. What mother nature gives, mother nature takes away...
Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #34

That's just really sad . . . . It is unfortunate that there aren't more reliable ways to check the sites. Hard to complain, thought. It wasn't so long ago, there was no such thing as google anything Thanks for your input everybody. Every little bit is helpful.
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this, but I have never stopped at a camp site before. I'm just getting started in this and don't have my rig yet, but am trying to cover all the bases.
I have been reading everything on this site and have seen some issues with camp sites. How do you decide which ones to go to, especially if you are on a budget. I know a lot depends on the length of time staying, but what do you look for?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
All good answer's,but the fun part is just wing it and also agood learning time,but I do not recommend paying big $ for membership junk,remember you can alway's stay at Wal Mart
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #36

What "clubs" are you referring to? What is so neat is that everyone has their own way of making RVing a great experience. Wish I could meet each and every one of you.
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 AM   #37

Where to Camp

Please take a look at www.boondockerswelcome.com This may be a way to meet some very interesting people with similar interests and at the same time keep costs down.
capearc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
What "clubs" are you referring to? What is so neat is that everyone has their own way of making RVing a great experience. Wish I could meet each and every one of you.
Thousand Trails: About Thousand Trails RV Campgrounds
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote