Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

How Times have Changed

Hi,

just recently back from a big trip this year and reflecting on a few scenarios that have changed since I starting camping back in the '60s ...

• Where are all the tents? Most, like me, are now using travel trailers, Class A, B & C motorhomes. Are we actually doing what's called Glamping? I think so, but also, nothing wrong with having all the amenities after a long day's worth of hiking
  • Why did it take so long to invent the electric tennis raquet to deal with those pesky mosquitos? They're great ............. the raquets, not the mosquitos!
  • What happened with respecting others campsite's privacy? I can understand little kids running through your site but what's with all those adults that have no qualms about walking right through yours!?
  • All those nature trails with board walks these days and either stone or wooden steps kind of take away from the "nature" experience
  • I miss the days of the park rangers putting on a show by feeding the bears!! Actually, I'm too young to have seen this but, quite literally, Yellowstone used to have grandstands set up for all the tourists to watch the bear feedings. Fortunately, that ended and the bears are far less nuisances now b/c, for the most part, don't associate humans with food ... errrr, see the next point
  • Bear bells ... the smart bears associate bear bells with food that the humans are carrying. They do not scare them away, it's the opposite
  • Kind of sad to see campgrounds I used to go to now closed.
  • Kind of sad to see broken down motels that no longer can stay in business ... the economy and RVs are the major reasons for this. The ones that did manage to stay in business realized creating an RV park would be of benefit.
  • Just when you think you are in the middle of no where ... out pops another person ... or vehicle.
  • Just when you think you are in the middle of no where and boondocking ... 3/4 of a mile down the highway is a resort ... man, those home made honeybuns were good!!
  • Best nights of sleep were when boondocking - no one else is around making noise ... no parents yelling at kids, no dogs barking, no dog owners yelling at their pets (thinking the dog actually understands what they are saying). Now, MY dog, OTOH, understands me completely but chooses to disobey me all the time ... I call him a teenager!
  • First time using a proper GPS device ... fantastic for figuring out where it might be possible to boondock for the night. I would look for any upcoming lakes/rivers and when approaching them look for any "trails" I could take my RV down ... found most of the places I boondock at this way.
  • Footware ... we've come a long way in improving the comfort of those hiking boots, walking shoes, etc since the '60s.
  • Mosquito repellent ... well, we still have OFF and it still works!
  • Boating ... my kayak, well, I literally carry it inside my Class B RV. It folds up into itself and forms a box. Based on origami and the guy that invented it came up with the idea about 5 years ago. Definitely couldn't even contemplate this back in the '60s
  • Gas prices ... why is it that the station that the fuel truck has to pass to deliver to the town further down the highway always has the higher price?
Add to my list ... almost a nostalgic look back and I believe most changes have been for the better.

Cheers,

Steve
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting read! Thanks!

I still see a lot of tents when I go camping (or is it Glamping?). Instead of canvas umbrella or cabin tents, we now see those dome tents made of rayon or some other synthetic material.

Yes, I find it annoying that adults will walk through other people's camps. But part of that problem is the design of RV parks and campgrounds where they have sites packed so close together, nobody has much choice.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevee View Post
Hi,

just recently back from a big trip this year and reflecting on a few scenarios that have changed since I starting camping back in the '60s ...

• Where are all the tents? Most, like me, are now using travel trailers, Class A, B & C motorhomes. Are we actually doing what's called Glamping? I think so, but also, nothing wrong with having all the amenities after a long day's worth of hiking

The tents that are still out here are for the most part in areas you need to hike into, still there - my kids still tent camp in the Rockies - They also will spend time with friends in the condo's - Its US that have changed - made a little money and have spent it to enjoy these areas we still learned to love 50 Years ago'
  • Why did it take so long to invent the electric tennis raquet to deal with those pesky mosquitos? They're great ............. the raquets, not the mosquitos!

Deet 40 works better! JMHO
  • What happened with respecting others campsite's privacy? I can understand little kids running through your site but what's with all those adults that have no qualms about walking right through yours!?

Just like golf nobody bother to read or enforce the etiquette of the Sport or of Camping.
  • All those nature trails with board walks these days and either stone or wooden steps kind of take away from the "nature" experience

Thats because the Nature was being DESTROYED BY THE LOVE IT WAS GETTING - Stay on the Path that was the rule 50 years ago and is today.
  • I miss the days of the park rangers putting on a show by feeding the bears!! Actually, I'm too young to have seen this but, quite literally, Yellowstone used to have grandstands set up for all the tourists to watch the bear feedings. Fortunately, that ended and the bears are far less nuisances now b/c, for the most part, don't associate humans with food ... errrr, see the next point

Live and learn.
  • Bear bells ... the smart bears associate bear bells with food that the humans are carrying. They do not scare them away, it's the opposite

We all find a way around the system.
  • Kind of sad to see campgrounds I used to go to now closed.

Many of mine are condo's, hotelsm or town houses - time moves on, as some are now National Parks.

• Kind of sad to see broken down motels that no longer can stay in business ... the economy and RVs are the major reasons for this. The ones that did manage to stay in business realized creating an RV park would be of benefit.

Location - Location - Location !
  • Just when you think you are in the middle of no where ... out pops another person ... or vehicle.

Not every-time!
  • Just when you think you are in the middle of no where and boondocking ... 3/4 of a mile down the highway is a resort ... man, those home made honeybuns were good!!

Dunton, Colorado!
  • Best nights of sleep were when boondocking - no one else is around making noise ... no parents yelling at kids, no dogs barking, no dog owners yelling at their pets (thinking the dog actually understands what they are saying). Now, MY dog, OTOH, understands me completely but chooses to disobey me all the time ... I call him a teenager!

Must be why we so most of our camping in the Off Season.
  • First time using a proper GPS device ... fantastic for figuring out where it might be possible to boondock for the night. I would look for any upcoming lakes/rivers and when approaching them look for any "trails" I could take my RV down ... found most of the places I boondock at this way.
  • Footware ... we've come a long way in improving the comfort of those hiking boots, walking shoes, etc since the '60s.

Too bad my legs didn't get the Up-Grade.
  • Mosquito repellent ... well, we still have OFF and it still works!

Yes it does.
  • Boating ... my kayak, well, I literally carry it inside my Class B RV. It folds up into itself and forms a box. Based on origami and the guy that invented it came up with the idea about 5 years ago. Definitely couldn't even contemplate this back in the '60s
  • Gas prices ... why is it that the station that the fuel truck has to pass to deliver to the town further down the highway always has the higher price?

Gas Buddy works pretty well.
Add to my list ... almost a nostalgic look back and I believe most changes have been for the better.

Yes it is even more fun now with the Grand Kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Steve
Enjoyed your Post.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote