Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
We did, decided on nothing this weekend, so instead of taking Thursday and Friday off guess I will be slaving away at work. Only 15 months till I am done!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #16

We are currently in NY and were planning to travel to VA and NC at the end of the week. I let the CG's that we have reservations at that we may or maynot be arriving on our intended dates due to Florence. They were OK with that. I say may or maynot as we live in Florida and have seen the inaccuracy of hurricane forecasts too many times. We will decide if/when we go on Wednesday,by then, the path should be pretty clear .
Old 09-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Did have plans for point Lookout state park in MD, changing plans now.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We are currently at the Trav-L-Park in Virginia Beach. It has some areas that are already prone to flooding so the plan is to head out a couple days early just in case the Bermuda High allows the storm to turn a bit more north. Our next stop was supposed to be in Williamsburg, but that doesn't escape the storm very much, so probably just be heading home to Northern Virginia.

According to WXRisk, it looks like once inland the storm is going to stall, especially west of Richmond, Virginia, leading to more rain and flooding.

Be safe out there!

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
We are currently at the Trav-L-Park in Virginia Beach. It has some areas that are already prone to flooding so the plan is to head out a couple days early just in case the Bermuda High allows the storm to turn a bit more north. Our next stop was supposed to be in Williamsburg, but that doesn't escape the storm very much, so probably just be heading home to Northern Virginia.

According to WXRisk, it looks like once inland the storm is going to stall, especially west of Richmond, Virginia, leading to more rain and flooding.

Be safe out there!

Bill

If you love your RV as much as I love mine, you would do what I did when Irma came along.
We left 3 days before she hit, got a campsite near Atlanta, and watched those without reservations get constantly turned away, while the freeway traffic slowed to a crawl.

Why not escape the traffic instead of living in the traffic?

If your fuel isn’t full, it may be to late tomorrow
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If you love your RV as much as I love mine, you would do what I did when Irma came along.
We left 3 days before she hit, got a campsite near Atlanta, and watched those without reservations get constantly turned away, while the freeway traffic slowed to a crawl.

Why not escape the traffic instead of living in the traffic?

If your fuel isn’t full, it may be to late tomorrow
That's basically the plan. We'll be leaving a good two days ahead based on forecasts. If I could live by your theory I would, but alas the day job still requires me to show up so I can't just head west.

Bill
Old 09-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
A lot of us Floridians use this site for consolidated data on hurricanes.

Mike's Weather Page... powered by Sparks Energy!
Living in the Dominican Republic we use Mike's page all the time.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were supposed to leave on Wednesday to visit our son and his family who live on the Delmarva peninsula in Maryland. Needless to say, we have cancelled our trip and will try to reschedule before the end of the year.
——— Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
Be cognizant that Florence is forecasted to push northwestward as a tropical storm, even after it's predicted landfall (at this point) near Wilmington, NC as a CAT 4.
Here in Virginia Beach, we're in what they're calling the "cone of uncertainty" still, but everything I've read seems to indicate a landfall more closer to the NC/SC border.
As I'm sure you already know, I'd do some real hard intel on the status of campgrounds in Myrtle Beach before heading that way.

Here at the house, we're a good nine miles from the ocean and we've fueled up the vehicles and are in the process of stowing the lawn furniture...Since we have a whole house Generac I'm hoping we'll be fine.
Bob, our reservations in MB were not until the end of the month and extended well into October and November. We will be looking for info on recovery of those areas after the storm passes thru.

We are in the coach now at Americamps right off I95 in Ashland. Our plan is to button up the coach and leave it here late Thursday, and go to our home which is about 10 miles away and hunker down. We also have a whole home Generac and live in a neighborhood which is not generally flood prone. Can't take the coach home since the HOA does not allow it....won't fit in the driveway anyway.

Our local forecasters are suggesting the storm will travel more west of Richmond and hammer the SW part of the state. Even so, we expect 8+ inches of rain, wind and massive power outages.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hurricane Florence, who is aborting East coast travel?

We stopped at Americamps in Ashland on the way back from Virginia Beach to stay ahead of the evacuations. Looks like the storm has turned a bit south now but better than taking the risk.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
A lot of us Floridians use this site for consolidated data on hurricanes.

Mike's Weather Page... powered by Sparks Energy!

Here’s another one I like too:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #26

Was supposed to be in myrtle beach on the 17th. Thinking Mississippi coast now. Any recommendations.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
We were supposed to go to the OBX Saturday for two weeks. Nope.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We’re scheduled for Cape Hatteras KOA on the 28th. They canceled reservations for this week when they evacuated. I’m cautiously optimistic at this moment. The bulk of the storm seems to have missed them. But I’ve not seen much on the power situation or physical damage.

—Rod Gleghorn
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, hurricane, travel