Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hwy 200 in Montana

We had plans to drive Hwy 2 from Columbia Falls east. With Hwy 2 closed due to wildfires, I am looking at Hwy 200. In particular, I need to know what to expect between Missoula and where it meets I-15 near Great Falls.
I am driving a 37 foot pusher and towing a Honda CRV. Does the road have a lot of curves? Are there shoulders? What kind of grades are there? 6% grades are no big deal unless there are sharp curves on the way down or at the bottom. Other things I should know? Thanks for the help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #2

Based on my view of Google Map, you would only be on 200 for a short distance. It looks like you drop directly south through Kalispell on 93. I haven't traveled that route. I have done 200 from i-90 to Idaho. It's a good road.

From Missoula, take I-90 east to 12 towards Helena and meet I-15 there. We did 12 westbound last fall with a 35' plus toad and had no problems. As I recall, there was a couple of steep grades but you're going through mountains whichever way you go.

Too bad you can't stay on US 2. it's a beautiful drive and much shorter,
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #3

not a white knuckle road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
We had plans to drive Hwy 2 from Columbia Falls east. With Hwy 2 closed due to wildfires, I am looking at Hwy 200. In particular, I need to know what to expect between Missoula and where it meets I-15 near Great Falls.
I am driving a 37 foot pusher and towing a Honda CRV. Does the road have a lot of curves? Are there shoulders? What kind of grades are there? 6% grades are no big deal unless there are sharp curves on the way down or at the bottom. Other things I should know? Thanks for the help.
We have a 37ft pusher with a tow car. We've done that road at least twice in the past few years. While I can't remember every curve and downgrade (there are some of each) I don't think you'll find this road to be a problem at all. In fact I remember asking the same question on some forum or other before the first time we did it and was told the same thing.
Chuck47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Chuck47. You should have no problems. We drove that route westbound several years ago. Good two lane road, yes it has curves and grades but nothing abnormal.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #5

According to the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' (highly recommended by the way), it states for westbound there is only about 1 mile of about 6% descent from Rogers Pass (elevation 5610') and then 5% and less for about 2 miles. The road continues to roll up and down west of there.

Eastbound descent: a steady 6% for about 3 miles with 25 mph curves near the top. The grade eases to about 5% and then begins to roll up and down. This continues for many miles with some 5-7% hills but they are short in length.

According to the above, we would confidently take it. It's not a biggie.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
FleetMan, Chuck47, twogypsies,
Thank-you, just what I was looking for.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
I've been all over that area this summer but not that entire route. I can tell you that highway 12, 141, 200, and 279 are all in good shape and I have had no issues. There are 45 and 55 mph corners but they are well marked. The lesser roads (141, 279) don't have much of a shoulder. 200 has a good shoulder in most places. There are quite a few pull off areas and lots of fishing access points.

Tags
montana