Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #1

I 40 July 2017

I am traveling from California to Nashville July 2017. I have 4 weeks of which 1 week will be spent in Nashville for family event. Any recommendations on things to see or do and places to stay on the way back to California the last 3 weeks of July 2017.
Snapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #2

July on I-40 , driving into the sun for days at 120 degrees.

There are sights I'd stop at in May or Sept. but weather in July might make them too hot to enjoy.
Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion, many other spots in Texas and other states en-route, It'd help to know what sights you've already seen .
Old 01-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I travel on I-40 very often in July. It can be hot in July and it is also the start of the monsoon season so there could be thunderstorms in place of the heat. The hottest section will be between Barstow, CA and Kingman, AZ (possible 100+). Crossing the Colorado River will usually be the hottest point (possible 120). From the River east you will climb in elevation and it will get cooler until you reach Flagstaff. Average high at the Grand Canyon in July is 85 so if that isn't too hot for you it is a must stop. It is also the height of the tourist season so it will be crowded.
There are other points along I-40 in AZ that may interest you like, Walnut Canyon National Monument, Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, Wupatki National Monument, and Meteor Crater.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #4

Santa Fe, NM in July. Nice!
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
You'll pass through the Memphis TN area. I recommend TOM SAWYER RV PARK in West Memphis just before the bridge over the Mississippi. The sites have concrete pads and are close to the river. The view out your windshield is the Mississippi. It's great fun to watch the river tows doing by, very impressive.

Also, you are only about 20 minutes from downtown Memphis, TN. There's the Peabody Hotel (worth a stop for refreshments), Beale Street, the Bass Pro Pyramid, Graceland, and the absolute best fried chicken you'll ever taste, Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken, 310 Front Street. You can drive around downtown or ride a cool trolley system.

It would be a nice stop

Happy camping.

Dave
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Forgot one other thing for I-40 travel:

East of Memphis on I-40, if you need just an overnight stop I recommend Parkers Crossroads RV Park about 30 miles East of Jackson. It's only 1 mile north of the interstate. Great people there & some RV repair is available.

Dave
Old 01-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seriously? There are lots of things to see and do. Well, Grand Canyon of course. Then Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, (same location), The Crater, Big Texan in Amarillo, Old city in Albuquerque, short side trip up to Santa Fe, Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, the list just goes on.

We've done all these and they were great.

BTW, The Big Texan has great steaks. There is a campground just up the highway that we spent the night in.

The Cowboy Hall of Fame is really an art gallery with an excellent restaurant right on the premises.
You can spend an entire day and not see it all. We always stay at the Twin Fountains RV Resort in OKC which is a short drive to it.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Cooler hawk has good info. You could stay days just in the Albuquerque area. Add in Santa Fe and Taos, and you've got over a week. Grand Canyon is a must if you haven't been there, even if it will be very crowded. I totally agree on the Oklahoma City sites. And the entire state of Arkansas has lovely parks, forests, rivers, and lakes.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went across I-40 from Knoxville to the Grand Canyon several years ago in July.

Some of Places we stopped at:

Nashville - plenty of places to see and things to do - a lot depends on your family function

Memphis - Graceland - Good time even for someone that wasn't much of an Elvis fan - Expensive but covers it all. The Bar-B-Que Shop in Memphis great BBQ and it's own BBQ Spaghetti. Dittos on the recommendation of the Tom Sawyer RV park across the river in West Memphis, AR located on the flood plain of the Mississippi River a quiet place and great to watch the river - use this website to look up the boats going by the park MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

If looking for an overnight near Little Rock, AR there is a municipal RV Park right on the Arkansas River nothing fancy but central location and at night security.

Oklahoma City - the Murrah Bldg bombing museum https://oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org/ We only did an overnight but got there early enough to spend an hour at the museum/memorial.

Amarillo Texas - Dittos again on the Big Texan Steakhouse Great place and if you are up for it the 72 ounce steak - We stayed at the Overnite RV Park right down the road. We didn't take advantage of it but the Big Texan will send a Limo to pick up and bring you back.

We did a side track off of I-40 and went to Santa Fe NM stopped by the Loretto Chaple and saw the miraculous stairs. From there we went to Durango and took the Durango and Silverton Railroad and from there stopped at the Four Corners monument on the way to the Grand Canyon.

On the way back we did Roswell, NM and Dallas, TX if want to get off of I-40 to and from. There are more places to see than you have time for. We made reservations for the trip but found that other than the Grand Canyon most campgrounds seemed to have openings.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:56 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
2X on the Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City. It is a wonderful art gallery with many Russell and Remington paintings and sculptures. Really worth the stop.