RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #1

I’ve Never Stayed in a Campgrounds.... where do I start?

I guess you could say we are new to the world of RVs. We just bought a 32ft fifth wheel trailer. Prior to this we’ve owned and still own a Lakota 8415 horse trailer. It has a 15ft living quarters..... sink, toilet, shower, stove, slide room. I’m very comfortable with the mechanics of the trailer.

With that said our only experience “camping” is in the horse trailer, most of the time we are at fairgrounds, event centers, etc. The closest we’ve ever been to a campgrounds is a large gravel lot with electric hookups. We have lots of campgrounds around us and we’re going camp close to home with the new RV to figure it all out but I’m a planner and I feel very unprepared.

What’s the best way to find campgrounds? Is there a good app? Do most have similar rules, we are polite and easy going and don’t want to break any rules. Are there any general unspoken rules? Will we need reservations?
1218RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #2

Start here: RV Park Reviews is a free site.
I did a quick search and there are 57 Parks and Campgrounds Near Greenwood.
I only like the parks that have 4 Stars.
https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...aska/greenwood
Good luck and Safe travels.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #3

https://www.facebook.com/Littlefield...69379/?fref=ts
Look at this place, it looks fairly close to you. Give them a call and see what they have available for camping, they will guide you through it. tell them you are a first timer.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to the forums and RVing!

Look at reviews on https://www.rvparky.com/

They also have apps for Apple and Android.

Your profile lists Greenwood, NE as your location. Pine Grove RV park in Greenwood seems to get very mixed reviews with a fair amount of negatives. Omaha West KOA seems to get better reviews, but still not stellar. Camp A Way in Lincoln gets pretty good reviews.

Whether you need reservations depends a lot on when you want to camp. Reservations are safest, but mid-week camping in non tourist destinations is typically not a problem. I would have a reservations for any holiday weekend.

As far as rules, most campgrounds post them on their web site and hand them out at check in. For the most part it usually follows what I used to call common courtesy, but there doesn't seem to be much of that any more. Anyway, here are the typical highlights some actual rules, some just respectful of other campers:

• Observe quiet time
  • Don't leave your porch and exterior lighting on all night
  • Don't speed through the campground
  • Don't walk through someone else's camp site
  • Follow posted check-in and check-out times unless you've made prior arrangements
  • Leave your camp site clean
  • Take your trash to the dumpster unless the campground has advertised camp site pickup. Some campgrounds do, most don't.
  • A lot of locations only allow locally purchased and/or commercially kiln dried firewood due to invasive insects.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #5

To me when I had my 5th wheel, I would look for sites with easy back up or pull thrus. I was not a good backer upper, so that depends on you. I would then make sure they had 50amp service, water, sewer (sometimes) "FHU".

Every campground has some type of rules. I have found most are for the benefit of the owner if needed. I feel if you respect the owners property, your neighbor you should be ok, but thats just me. Almost every park has a rule about dogs on leash, thats great. I will always ask when checking in if there is a dog park near by or a place to walk off leash. The owners will usually come up with some help.

As said RV Park and Reviews is a great one. RV Parky is starting to become fairly good also. I use them to find a campground then look on google maps to see if there is an over head view. Then roll the dice.

In this day and age reservations are becoming almost a must. I will always get a reservation if it means calling ahead while on the road or a few days ahead. I like the feeling of knowing where my head is going to lay down.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #6

[QUOTE= Camp A Way in Lincoln gets pretty good reviews.
[/QUOTE]

Agree about Camp A Way. It is one of our favorite campgrounds. Get a deluxe site and you will be very happy.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
There are all kinds of CGs, from expensive “Resorts“ to free. Allstays $5 App is good for finding private and public CGs. My biggest complaint is campers that walk through your site without even an excuse me, I’m to lazy to walk around on the road to get to the bathhouse.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #8

There are a ton of free web sites out there, all with good information. Here's just 2 of my favorite onesALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS LOCATOR: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more
and http://www.recreation.gov/.
The later one is for the Corp Of Engineers Parks. (COE or ACE). Great parks at a decent price.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #9

I will guess that you are pretty proficient handling and backing a trailer having handled a large horse trailer. If you have questions about access to sites you might find Google earth a help scoping out a CG ahead of time. I have done that as well as checking access for fuel stops with a MH and Toad.
Experiment some to decide the style of CG you like best. The resort parks are nice but generally pricey and not for everyone. Others prefer state or county parks or Fed COE parks which can be bargains for what they provide. Some states even have some state resort parks with many amenities.
With a little research and experimentation you should be able to find your comfort level sweet spot.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #10

As mention above, 90% of the rules are just common sense, This said it's always good to read over the rules as you will usually find 1 or 2 rules that's fitted to the campground/rv park...this is especially true for the private campgrounds. I have also noticed the better run parks are generally good about communicating an odd rule at check in.

Campground reviews.com has loads of reviews as we always use them first when it comes to campground research

Mike
Old 09-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with reading the rules they will give you at checkin at each campground.

Maybe a good idea to start at a park not far from where you live. Spend a week to get the hang of it and check everything over a few times.

Internet has made finding campgrounds easier than it once was. Some good resources available.

Pros and Cons of reservations. Some people rarely get them. Some almost always do.
If in peak season and you are in a tourist area I would consider them.

Hal and Pam
2017 Entegra Cornerstone - B
2020 Ford Edge ST
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:00 PM   #12

I'm still trying to figure out why the OP did not just use the horse trailer for camping. Yes its heavy and you are hauling around some empty space, but I found some listed online and looked at the pics and its a nice trailer inside.

Its just a specialized toyhauler, that is very well made.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why the OP did not just use the horse trailer for camping. Yes its heavy and you are hauling around some empty space, but I found some listed online and looked at the pics and its a nice trailer inside.

Its just a specialized toyhauler, that is very well made.

Charles
It’s super nice inside but the bed sits in the nose on the floor. The older we get the harder it is to climb in there. It works great for horse shows but we like the bigness of the RV.
1218RV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground