Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #1

I want to camp in National forest and National Parks

My husband and I have a 33ft travel trailer and want to start camping in places other than rv parks. We are headed from Texas to Idaho soon, so I'm looking for some recommendations and tips.
M&MFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&MFarms View Post
My husband and I have a 33ft travel trailer and want to start camping in places other than rv parks. We are headed from Texas to Idaho soon, so I'm looking for some recommendations and tips.

Here's a great place to start: Recreation.gov

Some folks will come along soon with specific recommendations, no doubt.

I put in 36' RV site in Texas, and it came back with 67 hits!
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
If you don't have one get an annual pass(or if old enough the senior citizen one) from the forest service - fees are significantly reduced if you have the pass.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #4

Here is a very useful directory of National Forest camp grounds and a related forum. Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds. We do most of our camping in National Forests and find it to be very helpful.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #5

We, too, recommend the above-mentioned, Dow's Forest Camping Directory website. We use it all the time and they have personally visited the campgrounds. We have a 40' motorhome towing a Jeep and we find these kinds of campgrounds easily, but then, our travels are mainly west of the Mississippi. We have been to the national parks many times so you shouldn't have a problem. We rarely make reservations except perhaps for holidays or if we really need to be in a certain area at a certain time. Have fun! They sure beat public parks for scenery, wildlife and spaciousness of sites!!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I try to camp as often as possible in National Forest, National Parks and State Parks. Our last RV was a 33 foot Mobil Scout Travel Trailer. All of the above sites are good for finding and planning your stops. Since you are wanting to be in Nat. Forest and or National Parks, you will of course need to be preparred to "dry camp". Many of the sites in both of these lands (you should also pay attention to BLM campgrounds) do not have water and electric hookups.

So, if you are new to "dry camping" start reading and posting in the "boondocking" section of IRV2 forums. You will learn a lot and read more on the type of campgrounds found in those areas.

A word of encouragement, my wife and I found that we could easily use our travel trailer for up to 3-5 days, dry camping, with two batteries. We only camped in seasonally comfortable weather and were very conservative with our electrical and gray water usage. So, if you are not familiar with dry camping, dont necessarily feel like you have to run out and get solar or a generator to begin.

Good luck,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #7

Don't discount the State parks along your way. I have found some really nice ones with full hook-ups for cheap.

If you have an iPad, get the all stays camp and Rv app. I think it is great for finding places to camp, it lists all parks, private Rv parks and Walmarts and dump stations.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
US Army Corps of Engineers also have some pretty nice parks and campgrounds.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We travel from the RGV to WA each spring, last year it took us 6 days to get out of TX. We spent 6 nights in the ST. Parks. Get the TX park pass for $70 and you get 50% off of the second night for four times and unlimited entrance fees (free fishing from shore in the ST parks). they have many nice parks with water & elect.

TPWD: Rules & Benefits of the Texas State Parks Pass Program

And of course the Golden age Passport for the NAT parks.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I spend most of my time in Membership parks, (Cause I have two memberships so during the summer I pay less than 100/month for parking) the rest is spent in govrnment parks, Usually a county park, alas, those you have to find by goign county by county.

But when they raise their rates I switch to COE park, and on my twice a year hike north or south (Summer/winter) I will use other government parks too.

The reseravation dot gov link above.. How I find them.

Tags
national