Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Indiana Campgrounds

Patty and I will be spending some time around Indianapolis. Our coach is parked at Indy Lakes just south I-465 off the 37.

We are looking for nice campgrounds to stay on weekends. Driving 100-150 miles one-way would not be a problem for a weekend trip.

All ideas are welcome but our preference is for a more primitive campground south if Indy, at least for the winter. Maybe we will want electricity, we won't be in California anymore

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #2

Might I suggest
Name Index of the Indiana Campground Owners Association
Indiana State Parks, lakes and Reservoirs. has a lot of great information. For Indiana State Parks, reservations must/may be made online here http://www.indiana.reserveworld.com/index.cfm.
Of course http://campgroundreviews.com/regions/Indiana/ is usually good for suggestions.
Coming up this October 8 is the beginning of PARKE COUNTY GUIDE - Parke County COVERED BRIDGE FESTIVAL - VISITORS GUIDE - Rockville Indiana the Covered Bridge Festival if you like crafts, flea markets, and of course viewing original Covered Bridges. (day trip)
There is a good CG on U.S.41 just North of Oaktown (SW,IN) nothing fancy. I forget the name.It appears to be full every time we pass. I don't know if they are open during winter months.
I see by your pictures you like drag races, coming up soon is the Fall National NHRA drag races at raceway park, about 25 miles from you now. P.M me if you wish, perhaps I can shed further light on my States activities.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just camped at the KOA in Crawfordsville. Nice, quiet and shaded.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Ray, thank you for the links. I have looked online at the Corps of Engineer lakes, which the campgrounds appear to be run by the state.

Indiana has some nice looking state parks!

Hardin Ridge looks good on the website. Anyone with experience there?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #5

We camped at Lieber Recreation area/Cagle Falls last spring. It's located between Terre Haute and Indy. Most all sites are very shady. Bathrooms are nice. Pads are gravel. Here are some pics.

Haven't been to the Covered Bridge Fest in years, but it was a yearly trek for my family when I was growing up. Worth a visit.
bakerkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
That's our kind of campground! Thank you bakerkids

Not far from Indy either.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #7

Sorry, haven't been to Hardin Ridge in many years, and it's only about 15 miles from our house. A Cousin goes there several times a year (MH) and really likes the CG.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Tom & Patty -

While I've lived in Texas for the past 37 years, I grew up in Indiana and my old favorite state park there was Turkey Run. I haven't been back there in about twenty years, but I highly recommend it for the scenic beauty.

In the past, I camped there a lot with the scouts, and just checked their current data and it seems they've added RV capability. Here's the link -

Indiana's Turkey Run State Park - Campground

Another old favorite of mine was Shades State Park near Crawfordsville -

http://www.stateparks.com/shades.html

Lastly, my church used to run a camp ground across the street from the battleground where the Battle of Tippicanoe was fought in 1811. That camp has since closed down, but I've found there is a new RV park close by -

http://camping.about.com/od/campgrou...r/ucpcga19.htm

I was always fascinated by the significance of this battle which resulted in putting William Henry Harrison (our shortest term President) in the White House.

I can't quite figure out why one would want to spend the winter in Indiana - even southern Indiana, but it's great for the fall. I would recommend Texas for the winter.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #9

I second Turkey Run. I haven't been there is years either, but my nephew says it's still great.

I should also add that the campground and falls at Lieber are quite a distance a part. Didn't want to lead you to believe that you camp beside them.
bakerkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Visit Brookville Lake and Reservoir Brookville Indiana Fishing Camping Boating Hiking

We like the Brookville,Whitewater area.

We also like http://www.recreationparks.net/IN/mo...a-allens-creek
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:28 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks to all for the good info . We have some good places to explore.

If you see us about, not too many teal Alpines, be sure to stop by and say hello.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #12

Deam Lake Near Borden Indiana

Tom,
The wife and I just spent a few days at Deam lake SRA in southern Indiana, it is a two hour trip from where you are. It was a very nice and quiet area. Several lake front sites that we liked. However if you get away from the lake the sites are more open and closer together so be careful when picking your site. Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	105_0966.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	5716   Click image for larger version

Name:	105_0955.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	5717  

Click image for larger version

Name:	105_0967.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	5719  
ffmd212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Check out my review of Prophetstown State Park & the pictures in my album.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
How come the parks in Indiana are so expensive if you are an out of stater?
Fordiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote