Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

Interesting Museums and Americana?

I was just thinking about odd and interesting museums and other sites I have stopped at in my travels, and was just wondering if you have any you would like to share.

There are several impressive museums and attractions I have ran across, some very impressive for being in fairly small towns, such as the National War in the Pacific museum in Fredericksburg TX, or the Cosmosphere space museum in Hutchinson KS

but when it comes to unexpected little gems one that comes to mind is the Waterworks Museum in Shreveport, Louisiana (a 19th century municipal water works with steam powered lift pumps that due to some odd quirk was still in operation into the 1980's when it was turned into a museum) it is one of those places that gets few visitors other than local school groups, has one care taker and if you are lucky you may see one other tourist while you are stopped there.

Shreveport Water Works Museum | Mcneil Street Pumping Station – Shreveport Water Works Museum

so what sort of little gems like this have you found in your travels?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Most everyone is familiar with the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton, OH, but few know about:

Armstrong Air and Space Museum - Wapakoneta OH

A couple others we enjoyed were:
RR Museum of PA & the National Toy Train Museum, both in Strasburg PA

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
One of my favorites.
http://http://thewarthermuseum.com/
Old 02-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #4

Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn,MI aew worth every second of your time. but plan on at least three days.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #5

Spam Museum...Austin MN
SPAM® Museum in Minnesota | SPAM® Brand

John Deere Tractor Museum....not just a museum but they rebuild old JD's onsite
https://www.deere.com/en_US/corporat...re-museum.page

Tecumseh's Old West Miniature Village and Museum. WAS in Cody WY.....moved to Blackhawk Automotive Museum in Danville, Calif.
Tecumseh’s museum sold, heads to Bay Area | Local News | codyenterprise.com
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #6

It isn't a destination location, but "quirky and unique", the Corn Palace:

http://cornpalace.org/
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #7

You won't find a museum with more Americana than Pioneer Village in little Minden. My old stomping grounds of south-central Nebraska: Pioneer Village
Old 02-17-2017, 03:14 AM   #8

Welcome | Berman Museum of World History
Old 02-17-2017, 03:20 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Wheels through time Museum in Maggie Valley,TN
What a amazing collection and Dale, the owner is walking around talking with folks, and starting engine's up............wonderful guy!
Wheels Through Time | The Museum That Runs
Old 02-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #10

POW museum and Civil War prison at Andersonville GA. Is very interesting and moving. Lots of good RV parking. It's near Macon GA worth the trip.
Gheidbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Florida near NASA
https://www.valiantaircommand.com
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #12

The Zippo museum in Bradford, PA. We stopped in here as a lark because my son and I saw a sign for it along the highway on a trip a couple years back.

https://www.zippo.com/pages/zippo-case-museums

It was a great place and learning the history of it's beginning was really interesting.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #13

And there is always the world famous two-story outhouse in Gays, IL. https://g.co/kgs/hQLDpo
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #14

Someone said about Henry Ford and Greenfield Village (two separate things at the same parking lot), and that is what I call a 100 mile museum. Meaning if you have to detour 100 miles (maybe 200 total) it is still worth it.

Then in SW MI are the Kalamazoo Air Zoo (50 mile), and then the Gilmore in Hickory Corners (100 for car people - 50 for others).

In northern Indiana at Auburn are both the Cord, Auburn Dusenburg Museum and the National Truck Museum (same parking lot) and together they are an easy 50 miler. Also in the area is the RV Hall of Fame. This is only about a 25 mile display (when I was last there), but that is OK as it right at exit 96 from I-80.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote