Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Into the West

I posted a thread a while ago looking for suggestions on routing from the Grand Tetons to Loveland CO, and now the first leg of that trip has begun. We'll be documenting the trip on our blog, and you folks were so helpful I thought I'd start a thread here to keep track.

Grand Tetons to Loveland CO

As of right now, Monday July 24, we are in the Hickory Hills Campground about 10 miles from Albert Lea MN. We have not blogged the latest couple of legs yet, but they are coming. I will say Hickory Hills is really nice, mostly seasonal folks with about a dozen sites reserved for travelers. Out in the middle of farmland, miles from anywhere, and I don't hear anything but the birds. Nice.

Rough idea on the trip, subject to change.
  • Camp Newmar
  • Mackinaw City
  • Green Bay
  • Albert Lea
  • Somwehere in SD
  • Rapid City
  • Billings
  • Missoula
  • Somewhere else
  • Grand Tetons/Yellowstone
  • Flaming Gorge/Dinosaur
  • Glenwood Springs
  • Independence Pass
  • Leadville
  • Golden
  • Loveland

Basically we have to be in the Tetons the last week of August, and then in Loveland/Longmont for the month of September. Everything else is based on your suggestions, and however the future happens. So far we have blogged Camp Newmar, Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island. We'll be updating the blog regularly now that we have really started traveling again, probably at least an entry per week. Hope you enjoy it because we sure will!

Real Life in the Cloud

Camp Newmar

Mackinaw City and the toothbrush

Somewhere in Time
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
I posted a thread a while ago looking for suggestions on routing from the Grand Tetons to Loveland CO, and now the first leg of that trip has begun. We'll be documenting the trip on our blog, and you folks were so helpful I thought I'd start a thread here to keep track.

Grand Tetons to Loveland CO

As of right now, Monday July 24, we are in the Hickory Hills Campground about 10 miles from Albert Lea MN. We have not blogged the latest couple of legs yet, but they are coming. I will say Hickory Hills is really nice, mostly seasonal folks with about a dozen sites reserved for travelers. Out in the middle of farmland, miles from anywhere, and I don't hear anything but the birds. Nice.

Rough idea on the trip, subject to change.
  • Camp Newmar
  • Mackinaw City
  • Green Bay
  • Albert Lea
  • Somwehere in SD
  • Rapid City
  • Billings
  • Missoula
  • Somewhere else
  • Grand Tetons/Yellowstone
  • Flaming Gorge/Dinosaur
  • Glenwood Springs
  • Independence Pass
  • Leadville
  • Golden
  • Loveland

Basically we have to be in the Tetons the last week of August, and then in Loveland/Longmont for the month of September. Everything else is based on your suggestions, and however the future happens. So far we have blogged Camp Newmar, Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island. We'll be updating the blog regularly now that we have really started traveling again, probably at least an entry per week. Hope you enjoy it because we sure will!

Real Life in the Cloud

Camp Newmar

Mackinaw City and the toothbrush

Somewhere in Time
Just a note on Independence Pass - you are aware that it is a length restricted Pass - Narrow and winding in a few sections near Aspen, so just be aware.

https://www.codot.gov/projects/SH82/...formation.html

Also look to see Devil's Punch Bowl .

Everyone In Colorado Should Visit This Epic Swimming Hole This Summer | The Denver City Page

It also appears you will be in this area around late September - The Aspen will be putting on a Show - be sure not to Miss Maroon Bells, as the Aspen are there also - https://www.google.com/search?q=Maro...w=1536&bih=774

Sounds like a great trip keep us all in the Loop.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Also of interest would be the area around Canon City, CO
Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Just a note on Independence Pass - you are aware that it is a length restricted Pass - Narrow and winding in a few sections near Aspen, so just be aware.

https://www.codot.gov/projects/SH82/...formation.html

Also look to see Devil's Punch Bowl .

Everyone In Colorado Should Visit This Epic Swimming Hole This Summer | The Denver City Page

It also appears you will be in this area around late September - The Aspen will be putting on a Show - be sure not to Miss Maroon Bells, as the Aspen are there also - https://www.google.com/search?q=Maro...w=1536&bih=774

Sounds like a great trip keep us all in the Loop.
Yes the rig will be parked in Glenwood Springs while we tour Aspen, Independence, and the Bells. The Crosstrek is great for this stuff, love that car. I hope to take the rig to Leadville via 70/24 and spend at least one night there.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Next two legs are up, Table for Two and Tunnel of Trees.

One more and we'll catch up with our current location. Headed to Mitchell SD on Saturday where we'll pick up an updated Verizon hotspot and overnight at the Cabela's.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We have finally started the western loop of our trip, from Mackinaw City to Rapid City. Currently in Rapid City and we'll be here for a week, then headed towards Missoula. This is what we have been waiting for.

Into the West
Old 07-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #7

Downtown Rapid City holds a big party for locals on Fri night. Live band, food trucks, just a good time. Check to see if the cupcake wagon is still there.
You're heading to Mt Rushmore, right? Be sure to come back for the evening performance, very moving.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Incidentally the new avatar was taken in the Badlands. What an incredible, surreal experience. I'm really at a total loss for words to describe it, but I'll try in the next post. Here are a couple pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3973.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	170898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4026.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	170899  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4002.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	170902  
Old 07-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Downtown Rapid City holds a big party for locals on Fri night. Live band, food trucks, just a good time. Check to see if the cupcake wagon is still there.
You're heading to Mt Rushmore, right? Be sure to come back for the evening performance, very moving.
Great info, thank you! We will check it out.