Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2022, 03:25 PM   #43

Spartan Chassis
Fuel issues on non interstates

We like the US and State highways but fuel has been an occasional issue. Depending on the size of the rig , finding accessible fuel WHEN you need it might be an issue sometimes.
maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #44

I was raised in Eastern South Dakota and our normal route East to West was highway 14. Our family were tent campers then but still loved seeing the "Prairie lore". Lots of history to take in as well.
KaylaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellibe View Post
Fairly new RVer here. The wife and I are planning a trip from WV to WY some time this summer. I'm wondering if it is worth trying to mostly avoid the interstates. The main reasons I want to avoid interstates are:
  1. Don't like getting blown around by trucks
  2. Interstates in some midwestern states are quite rough
  3. Heavy traffic (mostly east of the Mississippi)
  4. Interstates seem windier due to large cleared right of way
  5. My rig's top speed is about 65 mph on flat ground, so I can't take advantage of 70-80 mph speed limits on the interstate. Sometimes a state/US route is more direct, so if I have to go slower anyway, why not drive fewer miles?
But I'm wondering how much of a time penalty I'm going to have to take by driving state/US highways and having to slow down for towns, curves, hills, slow pokes, etc. We limit ourselves to about 7 hour days max, so slower routes could easily add a few days to our trip, which I'd like to avoid. As we get farther west, I'm also somewhat concerned about potential lack of services along state/US routes (especially gas). When I'm towing, my rig has a safe range of only about 120-130 miles.

Question for you folks who avoid interstates: How much time does it add to your trips?

Just as an example, here are a few of the alternate routes I'm considering:
  1. Instead of US 50, US 33, and I-70 from Clarksburg, WV through Columbus to Indianapolis, take US 50 to Cincinnati and US 52 to Indianapolis
  2. Instead of I-74 and I-72 from Indianapolis to Hannibal, MO, take US 36 and I-72
  3. Instead of I-74 and I-80 from western IL across IA to the NE border, take US 34
  4. Instead of I-80 across NE, take US 34 and US 30
  5. Instead of I-90 across SD, take SD 50 and US 18

Any specific knowledge you might have about those routes would be greatly appreciated.
I think this depends on your goal and time-line:
Interstate will get you from a to b faster and more direct. It will be safer if there is a breakdown or problem. I would tend to drive 65 anyway as it is safer and is more fuel efficient. I do not feel trucks are a problem.
Non-interstate is more scenic. You're going to have more fun along the way and overall a more enjoyable trip, provided there are no mechanical issues.
So, if time is an issue I would use interstate. If not an issue, I would tend to
use non-interstate but choose good roads.
One other factor, you did not mention your type of RV. Clearly the interstate system is best if you have a diesel pusher and like to use the travel centers.
Defoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:53 PM   #46

If you are NOT using the Interstates, US and state roads ALWAYS tie some city to other cities, towns, and unless these have a bypass or loop, you WILL be stopping for LOTS of stop signs, lights, intersections, and local traffic, and ESPECIALLY when schools load students or off load them! Don't forget those Sunday meetings, and other 6 days when farmers with their tractors, combines, whatever ALSO use some of these! Interstates are STILL best if you need to move faster, or are nervous about narrower roads and sharper curves. Note: scenery is better on state & local roads, usually!
mogul264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:56 PM   #47

Well, I had a friend that said he loved to motorcycle the small roads across Kansas. Every ten miles you would see a grain elevator start to rise from horizon. Soon you would see a sign saying, "Welcome, Support the Bulldogs, State Champions". Then you would go through a town with an implement dealer, an American Legion bar, a convenience store, and pizza joint (or Chinese joint). Then a sign, "Thank You for Supporting the Bulldogs. Come Back Soon". Then another ten miles would go by and you'd do it all over again.

As someone that has spent way too much time driving across Kansas, Nebraska, eastern Colorado, Missouri, Iowa, etc. on two, four, and six wheels: Stick to the interstate unless you want to spend ALL DAY OR MORE just getting across there.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:09 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Nope.
The only interstate I would avoid is I 80 from the Indiana border to Joliet
It’s dangerous
What route would you take around Chicago instead? Our trip plans for late summer have us going east on 80 and I didn't see much in the way of alternatives. (Traveling from Black Hills SD to Buffalo via Canada North of lake Erie.)
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #49

We travel the Interstates to gain time getting to a destination, we travel the back roads for enjoyment and scenery when not in a hurry ore to lose time.

Which ever you choose, drive defensively and be safe
ClydeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:49 PM   #50

YES.
Life is too short to spend on the interstate.
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:15 PM   #51

All the same

We have traveled an average of 10,000 miles a summer and one year it was 400 miles of interstate and the other year 650 miles of interstate. Last year we had to be in specific places at specific times and spent most of it on interstates. What a horrible bore. Most interstates look the same with the same identified crap at every exit. Same lousy food and for the most part it’s the same view out of that big front window. If you have the time and really want to see how others live in their part of the county get off the interstates. There are an abundance of 4 lanes and we like two lanes even better. There is minimal traffic, far more interesting scenery, good diners, nice people and we arrive at a destination more relaxed and happy. If you are an A to B traveler and destination oriented interstates get you there. If you want to wander a bit and wonder a lot get off the interstates for at least part of your travels and you might become like us and avoid them wherever possible.
Bfiliowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:22 PM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
Non interstate

If you love 4 or 6 lane divided highways that all look alike, take the interstate. If life is the journey and not just the destination, take the 'backroads'.

I have criss crossed the USA from Tennessee to the west coast several times avoiding interstates, yes, it takes longer, but you will See The USA.
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:28 PM   #53

Given the time it is always the road less traveled for us. The interstates are fine the further west you go. There are really fewer choices in the western states & the traffic tends to be lighter however as long as it has a number & paved the secondary roads are so much more enjoyable without all of the trucks. Having to slow down for the little farm towns is no big deal at all.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertlipp View Post
We like the byways too. However, in the summer of 2020 we ran into several major roads through Indian reservations closed to outsiders. Very frustrating with some long last minute detours. Don’t know the situation now. Just recommending you check in advance.
Thank you for pointing that out. Never would have occurred to me to consider that possibility.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBird View Post
US 36 across Missouri is an excellent alternative to I-70. Straight, 4-lane, two stoplights at intersection with I-35. No others.

We live on US 36, have driven it many times. We are Boondockers Welcome hosts and often recommend US 36 as an alternative for crossing the state.
Thanks much for the info.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoster View Post
I think this depends on your goal and time-line:
Interstate will get you from a to b faster and more direct. It will be safer if there is a breakdown or problem. I would tend to drive 65 anyway as it is safer and is more fuel efficient. I do not feel trucks are a problem.
Non-interstate is more scenic. You're going to have more fun along the way and overall a more enjoyable trip, provided there are no mechanical issues.
So, if time is an issue I would use interstate. If not an issue, I would tend to
use non-interstate but choose good roads.
One other factor, you did not mention your type of RV. Clearly the interstate system is best if you have a diesel pusher and like to use the travel centers.
Sorry, my rig is listed in my signature line. 2010 Toyota Highlander (v6 4wd) pulling a 2021 Braxton Creek Bushwhacker 17BH (17' "standup" teardrop). It's small enough that access to fuel generally isn't a big issue.

Tags
hwh