Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2022, 06:41 PM   #15

If you have an interest in cars, don't miss the Peterson museum in the LA area.

https://www.petersen.org/visit?gclid...EaAgyxEALw_wcB
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2022, 06:47 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by psearles View Post
We are planning on leaving for a big cross county trip to Grand canyon then up the west coast to Seattle. We are driving a 34' class A with toad.

I'm trying to decide if after coming out of Flagstaff, if we should head straight across via i40 to the beaches north of LA, or if we should go south down i8 to San Diego, then up the coast. We visited San Diego about 20 years ago, and enjoyed the zoo and such, but visiting this time with the kids. I'm trying to determine if it is worth the extra stop and gas, or if the central California beaches would be just as nice.

For heading up the coast, the last time we did this trip we were in a car so this is a different beast. With a rig do we pretty much want to stay on i5 going up and then just jet across to the coast at our stopping points?

Recommendations on places to stop/avoid, and routes heading north to Seattle?

Thanks!!

My opinion is heavily biased on California, so take it with that mind, but I would generally avoid California entirely and use Nevada from Winnemucca across into Oregon and then scoot along the southern end of the state to the Oregon Coastline and maybe dip down about as far as Jedediah Redwoods in California, as that particular area is really pretty.

I took California off my own travel map back in 2008 when Gas Prices went bonkers the last time and have kept them off ever since, alot of the neat areas have degraded alot since then due to local policies and are no longer areas I would show anyone.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:42 AM   #17

So many variables, so many things to see & do...it may help your planning to consider RV site availability where you're looking to visit. It's already mid-May & if your trip is anytime this summer, you really need to start getting on websites & making calls now. San Diego has changed a lot in 20 years, along with the rest of my state, primarily increase in population. And sometimes it seems like everybody owns an RV and they're all out camping, all the time. May I say, if you do go to San Diego then you plan on transiting the LA basin northbound without stopping, I highly recommend taking I-15N--CA 395N--CA58W to join US101N or continue to the coast via San Luis Obispo. You're long-cutting through the high desert, so more miles, however you're staying off of the 405 where your average speed will be near zero. Taking the 15 also takes you right by San Diego Zoo Safari Park (formerly Wild Animal Park). This is a wonderful day trip, my grandkids love it. This route also takes you past easy exits to Costco gas stations in Victorville, Bakersfield & San Luis Obispo. I don't recommend CA-1 northbound from San Simeon to Monterey. Rather than enjoying the tremendous views, your copilot(s) will be focused on you being focused on keeping your rig on the right side of the centerline & careening opposite-direction cars, and staying left of the cliff walls & boulders. I also highly recommend Astoria OR & Fort Clatsop, the terminus of the Lewis & Clark expedition. Good luck & have a great west coast trip!
Old 05-11-2022, 03:30 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From Cali and would advise to avoid as much of it as possible. gas is high and rv parks are even higher. stuff is running down with the mismanagement of their water resources. Homeless are rampant everywhere. State parks are over priced. After you hit Flag and the canyon go north on the 93 or 95 through vegas and up through Nevada, stay at Walker lake then Fernly Nevada. cross the sierranevadas through reno and don't fuel up until you are out of cali.... Hit the Oregon coast as soon as you cross the border... Everything in Cali is over taxed either directly or indirectly, that is why so many residents are leaving!
Old 05-11-2022, 04:58 AM   #19

Gas prices in CA are definitely something to consider but I find the comments about avoiding CA altogether to be a bit extreme. It's a beautiful state with a lot of opportunities for RVing.

The gas prices alone aren't something that would keep me away. Los Angeles to the OR border is just under 700 miles. If you average six miles per gallon, that's about 116 gallons or $116 +/- at a premium of $1/gallon +/-. Less if you fill up before entering CA and/or if you get better than six mpg.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:09 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Look at the maps along the CA coast. Red = not over 40'.

https://dot.ca.gov/programs/traffic-...rhomes/bus-map

The OP has a 34' rig.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:36 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
The OP has a 34' rig.

Much of 1 is fine , some is challenging and some is pretty darn tight in anything but a car at least from my memory. A couple years ago I gave what I considered an ok route suggestion to a guy with a motorhome and towed. I’ve gone that route a couple times in my 41’ motorhome with a 25’ car hauler behind with not many issues. He angrily told me I’d sent him down a cow path and he was a nervous wreck because of it.
Point being , only the op knows their idea of challenging. As a former truck driver ( doubles triples) I’ve learned my comfort level is not normal …. most rv’ers are uncomfortable pretty quickly on anything but a road with wide shoulders and no sharp corners. They don’t regularly drive large , wide vehicles to become “adjusted” ..I’ve adjusted my advice appropriately. Let them make the call
Old 05-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #22

Advice

Thank you for all the advice.

My Husband and I explored the west coast during three driving trips 15-20 years ago. It does seem to me like alot has changed in that time period. When we went we drove and walked around San Fran, Seattle and LA with no issues but it does seem like crime, homeless and general population issues are a big issue now.

I think we will take San Diego off the list. is there any issues cutting across the Mojave from Flagstaff to LA?

I agree that for me, I'm looking forward to northern Cali and the Oregon coast, that was my favorite area last time.

Any recommendations for specific beaches that are worth visiting in central California?

I'm also concerned about he reservation issue. We have been up and down the east coast and I usually book very little ahead of time so we can be flexible in drive time and where we want to be. I usually can pick up last minute cancelations with the odd stay in an overflow lot at a state park. Does anyone else roll like this, and do you find it different on the west coast?
psearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:49 PM   #23

Re the Mojave… last time I drove it the road was quite reasonable, but be prepared for winding and hilly roads. On the temperature… just be really aware of your tire pressures in the mornings and you should be fine.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if you go to LA and then go north from there, you can stay inland and go up the 99 through Fresno. Road is good, and traffic is better than on the coast … you can also then go to sequoia, kings, and Yosemite (if you have not been there). Yosemite is jammed at anytime, but can be driven to in a day from the 99 (off of which there are a number of campgrounds)
Old 05-11-2022, 01:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
The OP has a 34' rig.
It was meant for you... with a 44'.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:52 PM   #25

The commonly accepted definition of central coast includes the counties of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo & Monterey. May I recommend again, unless you have a specific destination in the LA basin, stay on I-40 westbound from Flagstaff (traces the vintage Route 66 if you're an American history buff) to Barstow. There it joins I-15 to LA and branches to CA-58 to Bakersfield. Take the 58 through Bakersfield & continue to 101 where you can branch off to a nice beach. They all have their pros & cons but all have good sand. Depends what you're looking to do. Check the tide tables, some can run quite high & cramp your beach visit. If you like to wing it for nightly stops, a good compromise might be Harvest Hosts & Boondockers Welcome. The central coast has lots of wineries & craft breweries that are in the programs.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:26 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
From Cali and would advise to avoid as much of it as possible. gas is high and rv parks are even higher. stuff is running down ...
Haven't lived there but RVed there for three years. Can not agree with this assessment in general. Some of CA SP aren't very good. Dockweiler should probably be avoided to name one. There are many good alternatives. I can not imagine who would turn their nose up at Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia NP, Point Reyes, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, the Mojave desert, and Big Sur just to mention the big names with an equal number of just about as stupendous second tier destination. Some times you get what you pay for.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:31 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It was meant for you... with a 44'.

I'm not going.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:12 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
Haven't lived there but RVed there for three years. Can not agree with this assessment in general. Some of CA SP aren't very good. Dockweiler should probably be avoided to name one. There are many good alternatives. I can not imagine who would turn their nose up at Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia NP, Point Reyes, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, the Mojave desert, and Big Sur just to mention the big names with an equal number of just about as stupendous second tier destination. Some times you get what you pay for.
Haven't really turned my nose up at them, just wrote them off as a lost cause, mainly due to the same reason I've had to write off Yellowstone.

They're excessively overcrowded anymore and while breath taking, the cost of dealing huge crowds has become a big detractor for me.

I'm glad I got to see Yellowstone in 2012, as it wasn't great back then, but it hadn't gotten as bug nuts as it is now.

Throw in excess expense to travel within the state and for me, its just not worth it when I can get an equal or greater bang for my buck in other states.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, gas