Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
If you are looking for nice, friendly people to go camping with--the east coast probably isnt the part of the country to do it in--former Alexandria VA resident for 7 years [smile]....
Boy ....!Old Scout , Donít you have a closed mind...!!
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #58

A high-quality RecreationVehicle campground?

Yes!
We discover them after traipsing up rough logger tracks to remote mountain lakes.
We discover them on isolated Baja beaches.

We define 'high-quality RecreationVehicle campground' as:
* nobody around
* no cellular telephone signal
* no lights at night
* silence, solitude, great views.
For us, a low-quality RecreationVehicle campground has:
* shuffleboard
* canasta tournaments
* folks 'stopping by' to 'get to know you'.

HA!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:00 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
I donít think any of us can complain about rv parks.

Yes some are very bad but 175.00 for a hotel room down the street v.s. 75 for the spot and my own bed.......
Old 05-22-2021, 07:33 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie79 View Post
These might fit the bill for you.

https://prevost-stuff.com/Real_Estate_List.html
Impressive!
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphoenix View Post
Just because you're in an RV now, does not mean you need to "rough it" in state and national parks (or even county parks...)

I'll agree that the "Northeast" is not too accommodating for larger campers (Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine's State parks generally have no hook-ups in their campgrounds) So, your relegated to privates with facilities...
That said, however, We, have taken our Class A from Florida to Connecticut every year for five year and stayed exclusively in State, County Municipal Parks and the best, so far, have been the Army Corps of Engineers facilities!

Definitely sign up for a "Reserve America" account and plug in you RV requirements (size, electric, water, sewer, pets, etc...) and when you type in your destination they give you recommendations based on your preferences...

This was our itinerary a couple of years back (except for start to finish) evet stop was in a facility operated by the Federal, state, county or government... They were all great with power, water and sewer...

Here's a couple of examples...
Army Corp of Engineers campground in Renovo, PA, 50 Amp, Water, Sewer, (and daily trash pick up...) $25 a night

County Campground in the heart of Fort Lauderdale FL, mid-march, 50 Amp, Water and Sewer... $40 a night (non-FL resident - $25 for FL residents)...

There are so many facilities out there without having to go Boondock... If you don't have kids that need to be "entertained"... there's no reason to stay at a commercial campground for four times the cost and half the satisfaction...
Thank you so much for taking the time to share. I think my problem with the RV Parks is that Iím basically a camper a heart - woods, solitude, the smell of pine, and going to sleep to the sound of crickets. Although water and electric and sewer are important to me, Iím basically a minimalist who upgraded from a tent to a TT to CAMP more comfortably.

After reading the generous shares of so many people, Iím starting to think the RV Park scene is not for me, but a place I will visit occasionally to take advantage of the hookups as I move onto the next part of my journey.

And when I do visit an RV Park, Iíve made a note of the many wonderful recommendations that so many of you so generously shared. I greatly appreciate everyoneís input.

May you each find the perfect setting - perfect for you - as you continue to create happy memories.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphoenix View Post
I'll agree that the "Northeast" is not too accommodating for larger campers (Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine's State parks generally have no hook-ups in their campgrounds) So, your relegated to privates with facilities...
That said, however, We, have taken our Class A from Florida to Connecticut every year for five year and stayed exclusively in State, County Municipal Parks and the best, so far, have been the Army Corps of Engineers facilities!

Definitely sign up for a "Reserve America" account and plug in you RV requirements (size, electric, water, sewer, pets, etc...) and when you type in your destination they give you recommendations based on your preferences...
Couldn't help but notice from your map looks like you travel I95 through NJ, NYC and CT, I'm thinking your map is generic?, but if not I tip my hat to you for traveling that stretch of highway.

I generally travel I84 to 684 to 287 then pick up the highways going west as I have chickened out driving the 95 corridor and the GW bridge

Mike
Old 05-22-2021, 08:49 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
Boy ....!Old Scout , Donít you have a closed mind...!!
I travel mostly the east coast so I can't make comparisons to the west but most of the Rvers/campers we have encountered have been respectful

Mike
Old 05-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I only read the negative reviews. These are the ones that tell you they are next to the tracks, at the end of a runway, next to a busy truck business, in bad neighborhoods, on top of a interstate. Most pics are useless. Got to read between the lines.
Many PA parks are declining looking for more business. Govt campgrounds are noisy and full on weekends.
I agree reading negative reviews can be useful, #1 sometimes they can be entertaining to read

Most important for me is the negative reviewer is consistent and has multiple reviews as I have no use for the 1 and done fringe type review

Mike
Old 05-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #65

Harvest host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
I've been a tent camper at exclusively state and national parks for the past 40 years. Brand new to camping with an RV. Looking to camp more comfortably, and to enjoy the convenience of water, sewer, and electric. I've started to plan several trips, mostly in the northeast, but also spreading out a bit, mostly along the eastern coast. My husband and I are an older couple without children.

I've been using the excellent resources of RV Life to plan my trips and have noticed an over-proliferation of RV Parks with poor and negative reviews. I have come across very few campgrounds with ratings above a 3. Lots of "trashy seasonal campers", "poorly maintained roads," "nasty staff", "poor facilities and hookups."

After reading review after review complaining of conditions at RV Parks, I'm about ready to go back to the state and national parks and boondock.

In contrast, I am also a new member of Harvest Hosts, and have read glowing after glowing accounts of the experience RV owners have had.

I also received a complimentary membership to Thousand Trails when I purchased my RV, and I have yet to read a review that would entice me to try a "free" stay.

I'm not expecting the spaciousness and naturalness that a state campground provides. But I do want to feel safe and well cared for anywhere I go.

So my question is - what's the deal with RV "Resorts"? Are they all as awful, overpriced, crowded, noisy, and poorly staffed and maintained as the reviews seem to indicate? Or is it that only those with negative experiences take the time to leave a review?
We enrolled with Harvest host for one year and we used the service three or four times on our trips. Do not expect electric ,water or sewer hookups you get an overnight parking space some are picturesque some are not but had great visits with the "Host" at each venue you just call ahead and see if there are availability on your day of visit. We traveled 50k miles and met some great hosts but after the initial one year membership "Harvest Host" bumped up the price of membership from the initial $40 per year. We decided not to renew as didnt want to be paying the increased prices. About six months passed and "Harvest Host" offered us the annual membership for our same initial price but we declined as we had stopped travelling for that near future . We may renew at some stage as the membership is useful at times.
promaster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #66

I made a list as to what was important to me. For example, I have dogs, so I need somewhere to take my dog out, hopefully, a fenced-in dog park. I don't care much about the bathhouses (but I may be changing my mind on that), I like quiet, and I want a pool in hot weather. I once stayed at a park in the desert that got a solid 3-star rating that I would maybe give them a 1. The host was nice, but they had a posting that the water source did not pass inspection on something like mercury and she told me it is okay to use the water, don't pay attention to that. I would have been frightened a bit for my safety if I hadn't been traveling with my Doberman Pinscher. My adivce is to determine what is important to you and look for those positives in a review. Good luck!
RVer711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:02 PM   #67

Most KOA's range from good to very good and are always well staffed. The best thing is their excellent reservation system where you pick the type of site you want. Yes they can be pricey for what you get. I am at the Lancaster//New Holland PA KOA right now and have a stunning view of the entire valley with the Amish buggy's going by on the near by road. Beautiful! I always try to stay at the highest rated campground in the area. You usually get what you pay for. I always stay at private campgrounds and there are 100's if not 1000's of great ones out there. 35 yrs RVing.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:12 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcamping View Post
Couldn't help but notice from your map looks like you travel I95 through NJ, NYC and CT, I'm thinking your map is generic?, but if not I tip my hat to you for traveling that stretch of highway.

I generally travel I84 to 684 to 287 then pick up the highways going west as I have chickened out driving the 95 corridor and the GW bridge

Mike
LOL!!! Thanks for the reminder
We actually took I -84 to I-684 (The map was just for stop reference...
This particular trip, my wife said... "Let's visit with my friend in Westchester, NY, for an hour, on the way back..."
There was a truck broken down, in the middle lane at exit 1 in the I-95 underpasses just after the Co-Op City (About a mile from the GW bridge), traffic was backed up for eight miles!
We spent four hours inching along I-95 South, and that day was 98 degrees! I had the generator going and both rooftop A/Cs running full blast! (Hey, I figured, I wasn't using any fuel just idling like that).
Point "A" was in Hartford, CT and point "B" was in Laurel DE. It was supposed to be a 330 miles trip but wound up being one of those 9-1/2 hour travel days. That was the last time, driving anything, I traveled the I-95 corridor through NY... After three days of recuperation, we took the RV and toad on Lews ferry (that wasn't cheap...) and made our way to the Outer Banks. (Everyone, including the dogs, just napped on the ferry ride...)
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #69

Bella Terra RV Resort in Foley, AL and Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort are 2 high end camp sites.

alan

2009 American Allegiance 42G
apeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #70

Damon Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to John Jackson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
"KOA tends to have consistent quality, they are always at least "OK" and occasionally pretty awesome. Cherokee comes to mind. Yemassee, which was a beautiful little surprise. Flagstaff. Like you, at first we didn't know where to stay and KOA was our go-to, and we still maintain a discount card and still stay there from time to time. "

I can't comment on the first two KOA's you mentioned but Flagstaff, seriously??? Like most KOA's the Flagstaff site is right on a major rail line and you will get to hear the trains all night long. If they are not on or adjacent a rail line they usually are right on a busy highway and almost always the priciest in town. The only KOA I would ever consider returning to was their Moss landing park which while small and pricey has an amazing location.

Obviously I am no fan of KOA but then I do not travel with children {they usually have nice kiddie facilities} but other then that... {Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play?}

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

Train whistles in the night will wake me up and then put me right back to sleep. Love them!!

Tags
campground, quality