Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #43

Some of then are very nice but pricey, Say Hilton Head Harbor RV resort, The Vineyard RV resort, TX, Port San Lucy Motorcoach Resort, FL, Motorcoach country Club, Indio, CA and then is others

Zzotte
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Thumbs up x2...a great place to start looking there are a LOT of good campgrounds in the East!

business.

x2. There are a LOT of good campgrounds in the EAST Also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
This is the site we always liked to use:

https://www.campgroundviews.com/

The reviews are by folks that have been there unlike Good Sam ratings that are given by their paid inspectors.

Within one park there may be good and bad reviews. It just depends what you care about. Summer is hot so if a reviewed states this park is so hot then it's up to you to decided if heat would bother you. Or like when we volunteered in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park and a camper stated they would never return to this dirty park - meaning the pollen from the pine trees! Some folks can tolerate more than others. A park doesn't have to be perfect and very few could be deemed as 'unsafe' otherwise it wouldn't be in business.

x2. There are a LOT of good campgrounds in the EAST Also!

So basically, read the reviews and then you decide if a bad review would really bother you.

We love public parks because we like nature and not blacktop. We're OK with gravel roads/sites and bugs. We don't need amenities. Therefore, it's easier to know what to expect. To us, these types are 'high quality' parks. Others won't agree. When you get into RV parks people expect too much and then are disappointed.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #45

Check out Jones Station near Mebane NC.
kleonard003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #46

GoodRV Parks

As you can see a lots of different opinions. We have not had much luck with the Harvest Hosts. Thousand Trails. etc. route. If we are in traveling mode 50amp and water is all I need and not too close to the interstate so we can sleep. If we are staying for a while we have a big dog so a big dog park keeps us coming back. We are willing to pay extra for a well located site. every campground has their choice sites. every time you stop at a place you like make note of the best sites for future visits. You will develop your own tastes for what you like (and don’t like). its the journey not the destination. happy travels
dbteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:22 PM   #47

Resorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
I've been a tent camper at exclusively state and national parks for the past 40 years. Brand new to camping with an RV. w?
Several things to consider:

What you absolutely have to have the next guy could care less about - EXPECTATIONS.

Fake reviews, I once read a review by a jerk complaining about to many trees, his satellite would not work. On another forum the same jerk was complaining about no trees, to hot without shade trees - IS IT TRUE?

Call resort and actually talk to a human, not a answering machine. You learn alot by talking to people.

Go visit for a drive thru or one night stay. NEVER, I say again NEVER pay a large amount without actually feet on the ground to see it for yourself

Just have fun.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #48

We have stayed at abut 350 full-service campgrounds in the past 12 years. Some were beautiful, well maintained, had nice facilities, and good customer service. Most were adequate but not country club nice. A few were 'unique' for lack of a better term. We use the Good Sam campground guide, check reviews, and usually select one with a rate around $50/night that is rated 4 or 5 stars for overall appearance. One or two negative reviews do not deter us. Because we use the campground as a base of operation for seeing all the sights in an area, we are not as picky as some may be that are focused on the park itself. As long as it is neat, clean, cordial, and reasonably quiet, we are OK.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:42 PM   #49

You just cannot trust ratings on campgrounds any longer. It seems obvious that many facilities are paying to get the best ratings. Trust your eyes and evaluations by trusted friends.
kv1361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:59 PM   #50
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Motorcoach Resorts, Port St. Lucie, Fl.
Creek Fire, Savannah, Ga.
Tiger Run Breckinridge, CO.
Lake George RV Park, Lake George, NY

Some of my top choices.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:10 PM   #51

We mostly use mom and pops, we don't analyze like some do and find the good quality's in every park. Especially if only there for a night or two.
Yes we have ended up in a bad park or two but not many and we have been in hundreds in over 30 years. Camping on the side of the road is just not worth my families safety to save a few bucks. Forgot to mention I do not think parks are paying for good ratings. Also do not think parks are at the forefront to stop people from camping at Walmart or the side of the road.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:16 PM   #52

App: Upscale RV Resorts

Lot's of good feedback, and I'm taking notes of recommendations for my future use. We travel full-time, and I'm always looking the for nicest RV "Resorts" I can find in the areas to which we're travelling next, but it takes a lot of searching . . . and a lot of patience! I look at every source I can find, plus as many pictures as I can find. Take your time and don't rely on any one source or the ratings of a few people.

I just recently learned of an app called "Upscale RV Resorts" that's another excellent resource. (Free) It looks like it's going to be very helpful to me going forward.

Happy trails!
Ehochuli85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
On my current trip, I spent a week boondocking in the desert and mountains of Nevada, met friends in Utah at a crowded but otherwise ok RV park (wouldn’t go back tho), spent four nights in quiet, secluded state parks about 400-500 miles apart, and tonight I’m in a crowded but neat and clean RV park. I dumpimg tanks, doing laundry, and generally just taking it easy and I’m surrounded by pleasant happy people - in New York!

So as someone said early in this thread, get out, do your thing, and draw your own conclusions. There are places I won’t go back to and places I’m looking forward to visiting again. But you never know until you try.....

Edit:

Stops in parks on this trip so far:
Walker Lake, Nevada - good, sparsely populated, desolate, private, quiet
* spent a week in the desert boondocking and exploring
Echo Island RV park, Utah - so-so park, crowded, but good company
Oliver Reservoir SP Nebraska - excellent, secluded, quiet, natural, few campers
Prairie Rose SP Iowa - excellent, secluded, quiet, natural, few campers
Starved Rock SP Illinois - excellent, dense woods, more populated but secluded site, natural
Geneva SP Ohio - good, more crowded, traffic noise, but found a semi-private spot
Twin Oaks RV park, New York - packed to the gills but good enough, ready for hook ups

All the state parks were very nice, but limited services - some free, the rest cheap. Both RV parks were crowded but served the purpose. But I wouldn’t know about any of them if I hadn’t stuck my tow in the respective waters. It’s about the journey for me, so this all works just fine.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:27 PM   #54

We have never camped east of Michigan but we always search for KOA's first. We have found that overall they are clean, quiet and well run.
baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:19 PM   #55

Mid Atlantic Campers
Some commenters have implied that only complainers write reviews yet you go to www.campgroundreviews.com to get opinions. I am a regular writer of reviews because I view it as being helpful to other campers. I love when I read a tip from another camper of where to eat or what to see in that area. Unfortunately, many people don't feel as I do because if you are a regular user of that site, you will see very old reviews. My reviews are 99.9% positive.
As for the OP, you can still enjoy state and national parks and have most of your perks. If you don't like using dumps, stay awhile at these parks and then go to a private park where they have full hookups.
We have only traveled out west one time -- to pick up our RV. We live and travel on the East Coast and there are plenty of nice places here.
If you ever get to the D.C. area, visit Cherry Hill. It's very nice.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
I've been a tent camper at exclusively state and national parks for the past 40 years. Brand new to camping with an RV. Looking to camp more comfortably, and to enjoy the convenience of water, sewer, and electric. I've started to plan several trips, mostly in the northeast, but also spreading out a bit, mostly along the eastern coast. My husband and I are an older couple without children.

I've been using the excellent resources of RV Life to plan my trips and have noticed an over-proliferation of RV Parks with poor and negative reviews. I have come across very few campgrounds with ratings above a 3. Lots of "trashy seasonal campers", "poorly maintained roads," "nasty staff", "poor facilities and hookups."

After reading review after review complaining of conditions at RV Parks, I'm about ready to go back to the state and national parks and boondock.

In contrast, I am also a new member of Harvest Hosts, and have read glowing after glowing accounts of the experience RV owners have had.

I also received a complimentary membership to Thousand Trails when I purchased my RV, and I have yet to read a review that would entice me to try a "free" stay.

I'm not expecting the spaciousness and naturalness that a state campground provides. But I do want to feel safe and well cared for anywhere I go.

So my question is - what's the deal with RV "Resorts"? Are they all as awful, overpriced, crowded, noisy, and poorly staffed and maintained as the reviews seem to indicate? Or is it that only those with negative experiences take the time to leave a review?
Just because you're in an RV now, does not mean you need to "rough it" in state and national parks (or even county parks...)

I'll agree that the "Northeast" is not too accommodating for larger campers (Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine's State parks generally have no hook-ups in their campgrounds) So, your relegated to privates with facilities...
That said, however, We, have taken our Class A from Florida to Connecticut every year for five year and stayed exclusively in State, County Municipal Parks and the best, so far, have been the Army Corps of Engineers facilities!

Definitely sign up for a "Reserve America" account and plug in you RV requirements (size, electric, water, sewer, pets, etc...) and when you type in your destination they give you recommendations based on your preferences...

This was our itinerary a couple of years back (except for start to finish) evet stop was in a facility operated by the Federal, state, county or government... They were all great with power, water and sewer...

Here's a couple of examples...
Army Corp of Engineers campground in Renovo, PA, 50 Amp, Water, Sewer, (and daily trash pick up...) $25 a night

County Campground in the heart of Fort Lauderdale FL, mid-march, 50 Amp, Water and Sewer... $40 a night (non-FL resident - $25 for FL residents)...

There are so many facilities out there without having to go Boondock... If you don't have kids that need to be "entertained"... there's no reason to stay at a commercial campground for four times the cost and half the satisfaction...
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, quality