Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #1

Is this really too much?

I am planning a family trip from a Suburb outside of Chicago to Yellowstone for next June. DH thinks I am cramming too much into one trip. Has anyone done a trip like this from the Chicago land area? Here is what I have so far:

Thursday - Leave the Chicago land area and drive to campground in Fairmont, MN. Rest for the evening.

Friday - Head out to Badlands National Park and surrounding area. Sightsee and rest

Saturday - Finish sightseeing and then head out to Yellowstone National Park, campground right outside of NE Entrance. Rest for the night

Sunday through Wednesday - explore Yellowstone.

Thursday - head back to the badlands for a night of rest

Friday - Head back to MN for an overnight break.

Saturday - head back home.

I purposely have us arriving home on a Saturday instead of a Sunday to give us one day cushion. I should also mention there will be 2/3 drivers available.
6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I'm not a fan of the Bad Lands (well named) so I'd do the 1350 miles to Cooke in 2 days. I would add the days saved to do the Tetons and then 26/287 down to Rawlins and I-80 east again in 2 days.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #3

It is a long trip for the amount of days you have. I understand about short vacation times when working. We've done that also from Missouri and Michigan when the kids were little and it's better to just see a little rather than not seeing at all after such a long drive. Keep in mind that it's a boring drive so don't push it if you have smaller kids.

You didn't say exactly where you're leaving from and where you're planning to stay to tour Yellowstone. I made a general guess of Cody, WY.

That's 1300 miles and you can figure an average of 60 mph which includes potty breaks, lunch/dinner, siteseeing along the way. That comes to 2.5 - 3 days to get to Cody.

I agree about Badlands. You can easily do a loop drive through by Exiting I-90 at Exit 131 to Hwy 240 taking you through the park and coming out at Exit 110 at Wall. A drive through would be plenty unless you're serious hikers.

If you have kids along and after seeing advertisements for Wall Drug for miles and miles, they'll surely want to stop for a 'quick' look-see.

So basically, you'll have a total of 5-6 days of driving to get to and return from Yellowstone.

Good luck with your plans!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #4

I guess it depends upon what you want to accomplish and what the others in the group want to do. I will say it's a pretty ambitious schedule as it's roughly 500 miles a day for 3 days in a row. I will admit that I have never been to Yellowstone but I have traveled to 48 of the 50 states and only 4 days in Yellowstone seems like not nearly enough.

I can tell you that I will no longer travel with my younger sister because she plans every single minute of every day and it is the exact opposite of relaxing for me.

Your vacation, your decision.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It is a long trip for the amount of days you have. I understand about short vacation times when working. We've done that also from Missouri and Michigan when the kids were little and it's better to just see a little rather than not seeing at all after such a long drive. Keep in mind that it's a boring drive so don't push it if you have smaller kids.

You didn't say exactly where you're leaving from and where you're planning to stay to tour Yellowstone. I made a general guess of Cody, WY.

That's 1300 miles and you can figure an average of 60 mph which includes potty breaks, lunch/dinner, siteseeing along the way. That comes to 2.5 - 3 days to get to Cody.

I agree about Badlands. You can easily do a loop drive through by Exiting I-90 at Exit 131 to Hwy 240 taking you through the park and coming out at Exit 110 at Wall. A drive through would be plenty unless you're serious hikers.

If you have kids along and after seeing advertisements for Wall Drug for miles and miles, they'll surely want to stop for a 'quick' look-see.

So basically, you'll have a total of 5-6 days of driving to get to and return from Yellowstone.

Good luck with your plans!
Thank you! We will be leaving from Bartlett Illinois and I am not 100% sure of the campground we will be at by Yellowstone
6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:28 AM   #6

We did a 18 day trip to the Black Hills this year.
We did a day at Badlands, and threw in Walls Drug,and that was enough for us.
We would recommend spending more time in the Black Hill, Custer Park, and Mt Rushmore.
We were at the destination for 10 nights. We needed 10 because we also experienced Deadwood, Sturgus, Wind Cave, Minuteman, and Spearfish.
I don’t know how I can get thru everything in Yellowstone in 3 days.
I guess the 1300 mile drive is up to you, but I would at least do 10-12 days at the destination. Mine was 1600 miles but it was pretty easy with my MH. It has a great chassis and rides like a dream.
Remember this, traffic and backups will slow down what you see & do. Your 3 days seems just not long enough.
3 drivers is good, but if you average the total cost over the days, the fuel cost might be a bit high.
Of course, we calculated our fuel cost to average over the 18 days.
I think the camping costs for my trip was $1200, fuel was $1000. For a total of $2,200 for 18 days.
Cheaper than flying and renting a car and motel rooms.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:48 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I understand what you are trying to accomplish, so if you are really intent on visiting the Badlands, then I'd certainly do that on the way to Yellowstone while your adrenaline/anticipation are up. But from there to Yellowstone is 600+ miles (and vice versa). So, on the return, with approx. 1000 miles between Yellowstone and your camping location in Fairmont, I think I'd try to find anyplace around 500 miles out of Yellowstone to overnight. You're all going to be pretty tired as you start your return to home, and I don't think a 600+ mile leg on the return is something you'll want to be faced with. Better yet, if you can eke 1 more day out of your work schedule for your vacation, I'd do the Badlands on the return vs. on the way out, and make it a 2-night stop for sightseeing, and maybe more importantly, a more restful interlude before your final two days on the road heading home. In any regard, have fun and be safe.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:41 PM   #8

Will you have a toad? We are limited to 300 miles a day with my CRV. also have you driven that many miles a day?
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:16 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with the others WRT the Badlands NP. We were headed east, on our way back East, on I-90. We left the interstate, dropped down on a state road and picked up the Badlands. We continued on the road through the Badlands, until we exited near I-90. We then continued on our merry way east. I was happy with the amount of time we spent "touring" Badlands NP.

Also, as another poster said, you really need to make time to visit Grand Teton NP. I liked GTNP better than I did YNP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ofus View Post
I am planning a family trip from a Suburb outside of Chicago to Yellowstone for next June. DH thinks I am cramming too much into one trip. Has anyone done a trip like this from the Chicago land area? Here is what I have so far:

Thursday - Leave the Chicago land area and drive to campground in Fairmont, MN. Rest for the evening.

Friday - Head out to Badlands National Park and surrounding area. Sightsee and rest

Saturday - Finish sightseeing and then head out to Yellowstone National Park, campground right outside of NE Entrance. Rest for the night

Sunday through Wednesday - explore Yellowstone.

Thursday - head back to the badlands for a night of rest

Friday - Head back to MN for an overnight break.

Saturday - head back home.

I purposely have us arriving home on a Saturday instead of a Sunday to give us one day cushion. I should also mention there will be 2/3 drivers available.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:33 AM   #10

Been there and done all that--this summer to be exact, form Texas--similar distances. Personally, I would use the allotted time to thoroughly explore the Black Hills area and save YS for another trip....as a destination, Cody, YS and Tetons area would be a great trip in it self--when you have more time--just my opinion.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With all respect to everyone who has responded here, because I know your hearts are all in the right place, the OP just picked up their RV the end of April, and they're excited and asking questions about what appears to be their 1st itinerary for a long trip out West. Maybe we just help them to make the most of the plan they've laid out. If they're reaction to this first big trip is anything like what we've all experienced on our own, they'll be back on asking us all for new and exciting places to go on their next trip. And it seems they have a specific number of days available to them in which to do this trip.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Been there and done all that--this summer to be exact, form Texas--similar distances. Personally, I would use the allotted time to thoroughly explore the Black Hills area and save YS for another trip....as a destination, Cody, YS and Tetons area would be a great trip in it self--when you have more time--just my opinion.....
They definitely don't have to save Yellowstone for another trip. That's the destination of this trip.

They can easily drive through the Badlands on the way to Yellowstone. It's a loop road right off the interstate which is their route anyway. Why avoid it? However, if Yellowstone is the destination then don't stop and play at the Badlands. Just a drive through without going out of the way will give them a good taste of what it is.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:17 AM   #13

We made a similar trip a few years ago.
Flew to Salt Lake City then drove to West Yellowstone.
4 days at west Yellowstone.
Drove to Gillette spent the night, drove to Mount Rushmore
One day relaxing
one day day at crazy horse
one day at Mount Rushmore
one day at Badlands
Drive to Denver and fly home.
12 days

It is a lot of driving and the trek across WY is a long ways. The trip was designed to take my aging parents places they wanted to see. If I was doing it again, I'd fly to Bozeman to reduce the driving and add another two days in Yellowstone. I liked the the Badlands but it is really just one day in my opinion and I would trade the day there for an extra day in Yellowstone.

Others have mentioned skipping yellowstone, I would not do that. The issue is it is always going to be 1300 miles and 3 days driving from Chicago. So driving there and back is 6 days. I would just make the trip longer to spread out the driving. I like the idea of a 3 or 4 days near Mt Rushmore then heading on to Yellowstone. We drove through the Bighorn National forest and I wished I had time to explore that area.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:40 AM   #14

I can't remember who I stole this from... But a wise RV'er posted on one of these Forums... 1 Day of vacation for every 1 hour of driving to the destination! I do not always manage to stick to this math, but it is a pretty good guideline. If I am going for a 4 day weekend then I want it to be within 4 hours of my home.

1300 Miles is a long way for a 9 day trip. I also hope to do Yellowstone in the not to distant future... But recognize that I will be looking at a minimum 2 week vacation and realistically closer to three to make the trip enjoyable from the Toronto area. I have to put my vote in your DH column, too long a distance with too many stops for a 9 day trip.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote