Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Angry I've NEVER Been So Mad at a CG!

I checked into a smallish campground. The person running things has been very nice to work with while making a reservation and during check in. The only site we could get was one where the satellite was totally blocked. OK...that isn't what made me mad but it was disappointing...but we move on. LOL

HOWEVER...I get plugged in to my 50A outlet and things look pretty good. Voltage is reasonably good on both legs even though I'm drawing 30-35A a side. A few minutes after we get hooked up...NO POWER. Power went down for about half the sites in the CG and all of them were (supposedly) on the branch I was on. A few other residents come out also without power. Now, there is some discussion by the manager that this may be related to construction a bit down the road so it may be coincidental.

HOWEVER...a little bit later she comes and asks me if I have a 50 or a 100 amp coach. I'm scratching my head on that one so I say I have a 50 amp coach but that gives me a total of 100 amps usable. She then proceeds to tell me that my site is not designed for "100" amps. I'm flabbergasted!

Then a couple other residents chip in saying, in effect, my big motor home is the problem because the can only handle 50 amps per site. One claims to be an electrician and the other an engineer. A third resident stands there shaking his head in agreement with the other two. Now I'm at a total loss about background of these "gentlemen". I'm thinking I've discovered where Larry, Daryl & Daryl went to after the end of the Bob Newhart show.

I try to explain that a 50 amp hook up is 50 amps a leg and that I can easily use 35 amps a side without breaking anything that isn't deficient. They are saying no I can't.

Finally, I blew a gasket and asked them a simple question. "Why do you think your 50 amp outlet is a split breaker with a 50 amp rating on each side?" CRICKETS! I turn on my heels and they know I'm really ticked off at all of them.

I'm really sorry I lost my cool but I've never in over 6 years of RVing ever come close to such seriously stupid...errr...mis-informed RVers. ARGGGGGHHH!

Now, the CG must have other issues because the manger said her side of the CG started their generators because the main breakers were getting very hot. OK...that is a different issue but makes me scratch my head a little bit more.

HMMM...I'm thinking about trying to find another place.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm really sorry I lost my cool but I've never in over 6 years of RVing ever come close to such seriously stupid...errr...mis-informed RVers. ARGGGGGHHH!
Apparently you haven't kept up on any of the 50 Amp vs 100 Amp electrical discussion around this place.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #3

Never argue with idiots ........it brings you down to their level and they win by default due to experience
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #4

care to name the park?
Old 08-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Get through the night and move on tomorrow Don........don't sound good!
Old 08-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

Time to start asking if a 12kW hookup is available?
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #7

Classic example of giving them too much information.

You were trying to educate them on how 50A works but they blew a gasket when they heard 100A

I am guilty of it myself, I just say 30A or 50A whatever the case may be and leave it at that.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #8

You cannot have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, think I would have replied "It's a 50 amp coach", and left it at that !

Of course........ that's not going to solve your problem!
Old 08-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #10

I know its not funny Don, but you did make me laugh. I could just picture Larry, Daryl & Daryl heads bobbing up and down agreeing to something they had no clue about!

I wonder if the campground was originally built with a 30 amp supply circuits and someone cheated and made it into a 50 amp plug by hooking the 30 amp hot wire to both 50 amp legs in the socket? I've run across several campgrounds like that.

Anyway, I hope you are alright and have power again and are cool.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I checked into a smallish campground. >...........

HMMM...I'm thinking about trying to find another place.
Think that might be a good decision.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree. TMI started the trouble. They could not handle it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleEEE View Post
Classic example of giving them too much information.

You were trying to educate them on how 50A works but they blew a gasket when they heard 100A

I am guilty of it myself, I just say 30A or 50A whatever the case may be and leave it at that.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
care to name the park?
That will come later.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I know its not funny Don, but you did make me laugh. I could just picture Larry, Daryl & Daryl heads bobbing up and down agreeing to something they had no clue about!

I wonder if the campground was originally built with a 30 amp supply circuits and someone cheated and made it into a 50 amp plug by hooking the 30 amp hot wire to both 50 amp legs in the socket? I've run across several campgrounds like that.

Anyway, I hope you are alright and have power again and are cool.
I think that based on my observations that this is "reasonably" set up for 50 amps. The main breaker panels all appear in good shape and not old at all. Now, I'm not sure if they they have a big enough feed since they are saying the main breakers are getting hot but hell, it is 90+ degrees...I would expect them to be hot.

I still think the outage was not from in the CG but because of construction just out side of it. OH WELL. LOL