Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #1

January departure from NH to FL

Heading out January 1st on our first 'Snow Birders' excursion and we're hoping we can get some advise from some of you experienced folks on how best to travel down the east coast in January. ( Campgounds ?? ... best/easiest fuel & propane stops, etc)

Ultimate destination is Tucson by the last week of January ... planning to head due South to Jacksoneville and then work our way west in hopefully gentler weather.

Not planning to de-winterize our coach 'till we're sure it's safe ... hopefully by day 2.

Any suggestions for campgrounds, facilities or overnight areas after the Tappan Zee Bridge in NY would be greatly appreciated!

We're heading out in our 2012 Winnebago Access, 31C, with Jeep Liberty Toad.

Thanks in advance for any and all info & advice!
TheBurkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #2

Wish you a pleasant and safe trip

I would leave NH by 7:00 a.m., drive according to the conditions, and pull into a Flying J, Pilot, WalMart around 8:00 p.m. (Campgrounds in January are probably closed) Everyone there (Flying J and WalMart) will be running their engine or genny so you can too. Trucks will be coming and going all night so you might need a battery powered radio for "cover-up noise"

In January, your goal is to get out of the dangerous driving areas (due to weather) as quickly as possible. Stopping every couple of hours will keep you refreshed. Take a nap for an hour at a rest area that looks safe and secure.

Take water from home for drinking and cooking. Take 3 - 4 gallons of pink RV winterizing fluid to use in the toilet and bathroom sink. When washing your hands: use 2 glasses of wash to wash and follow with 1 glass of RV winterizing for your grey water holding tank (probably not necessary for an occupied MH for your 2 day ride to warmth).

Night #2 may also necessitate a Flying J or WalMart. Night #3 should be at a campground. Test the water quality at the CG and de-winterize your MH for the rest of your trip.

Heading west from Jacksonville should be frost free. Keep close attention to the elevations. You probably don't want to stop in the area of west Texas and New Mexico.

Take your time and be safe.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #3

Very bad road on Louisiana going west,ask on this site how to get around rough 1-10.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll be a couple of weeks behind you.Since I don't like Baltimore or Dc, when I get past Wilmington De on 95, I take 896 south which turns into 301. I use that to Bowling Green Va and take 207 over to 95 again. There are a couple of areas of traffic and signals but still better tha the big metro area.
There's a Flyin J just over 95 there with a decent lot where you can overnight.
If you want an rv park, there's Kings Dominion, the next exit south, a KOA at Frederiksburg, an Americamp ( now a KOA, I thnk) just above Richmond all open. I push my first day to Petersbug Va to the South Fourty for an easy off/on place.
From there south, plenty of overnights available. Some I've used are RVacation in Selma, Sleepy Bears in Lumberton, Green Acres in Walterboro, Lake Harmony in Townsend Ga.

If you do elect to stay on 95 south, remember that in Baltimore Md., you must use 695 either east or west as you can't use the Fort McHenry tunnell.

Good journey,
Bill