Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #1

Jim Thorpe

Headed for Jim Thorpe Pa. for 5 day's next Thurs.
They are having fall foliage festivals in town for 3 weekend's.
Taking the High Train Ride through the gorge and bridge, looking forward to the colorful mountain leave's, and attending the festival's, music, craft's, sightseeing, and the fooooooood.
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 04:49 AM   #2

Great little town. Hope you have bicycles to ride on the rail trail. Also if you like music check out the Mauch Chunk Opera House.
http://mcohjt.com

Have a great time.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #3

jim thorpe

Thank's, you spend some time there?
Not going to do the bike train, I'm recovering from hip replacement so I'm sure the D.W. will not allow that Will sometime though.
We're staying at the Jim Thorpe campground's about a mile away so I'm told, first time there.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #4

We live about a hour away and visit a couple times a year.

Have a great time.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #5

Jim Thorpe

Well here I go with the follow up.
Jim Thorpe Camping Resort is where we stayed, I would not recommend this campground for several reason's, site's are on top each other, really, when you look out your window and your neighbor's awning is tgwo feet from you, well you decide. ( not all but the majority ) Dog noise early in the morning from permanent camp site's. TREE'S everywhere, very difficult to maneuver them and your neighbor.
No issue with Harold, the owner as other site review's related, but maybe that's because when he directed me into my site he run me into a tree with the awning, and didn't tell me.
The DW told me when she couldn't roll it out.
The town was very uniquely crowded just like the campground's, however we enjoyed touring the town and the site's.
Would not recommend the High Bridge Train ride, the view from the car was limited by tree's being so close to the track's, round trip mean's you return the same way you left, narration was poor, the view from the car to the gorge certainly doesn't look like the brochure's, the ground cover has grown and it doesn't look as deep as it is.
Maybe try the 45 min. Lehigh Gorge Train if you go.
Definetly recommend the Mauch Chunk Theatre, if something of interest to you is playing, also the Asa Packard House, do the tour they do a very good job.
Mike
Old 10-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Keyston 04 .Our opinion of the campground was the same as yours . Although our experience was 10 years ago, I had hoped things had changed . perhaps not
Old 10-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #7

Jim Thorpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
Keyston 04 .Our opinion of the campground was the same as yours . Although our experience was 10 years ago, I had hoped things had changed . perhaps not
Nope sorry to say.
The campground's is very convenient to the town of Jim Thorpe, and a state park just out the road a bit, you could easily ride your bicycle back and forth.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
We just stayed at the Jim Thorpe Camping Resort last week.

Very convenient to Jim Thorpe & surrounding area. Staff were nice. Place was fairly wooded, but this made for fairly tight clearances with our large class C. Sites were close together with gravel / stone base. Our particular site was hard to get level in, and our rig just barely fit lengthwise. We were not asked about size when we reserved.

We pulled in on a weekday & many sites were vacant. First campground I've been in where I had trouble figuring out what was supposed to be roadway and what was supposed to be campsite. Stayed in a full hookup site. Was glad for my extra sewer hoses, cause the sewer pipe was nowhere near the left side like usual. Also, this was the first CG we've been in where the electric was truly marginal. 30 amp service, but could not run the single roof air + fridge + water heater all on electric. The fridge would keep kicking over to propane. I finally gave up and started running the water heater on propane too, when I knew we'd be using hot water a lot. Never had this issue before.

We'd go back to the area again, but sadly not to that campground.

I've subsequently heard a recommendation for the Hickory Run State Park. It's a bit further away but might be a better option to explore.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #9

Hickory Run State Park is great for hiking trails. Some sites are big and easy, others not so much.

Get a good digital voltmeter and plug it in where it can be easily seen. 105 volts is the absolute minimum for running the air conditioner without damage.
An autoformer is good to have. https://hughesautoformers.com/
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the advice. I do have an analog plug-in voltmeter - that's how I knew things were dicey. Hadn't heard about the Autoformer, though - looks interesting. I had long range plans to possibly purchase one of Progressive Industries protectors, however I'm not sure they offer the voltage boost that the Autoformer does...
Old 07-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #11

No, only an autoformer can bail you out if voltage is too low. The other expensive devices will offer better protection by simply shutting you down. The autoformer in the link does offer some surge protection. I have seen voltage as low as 99 in an eastern PA campground while others "had no problem."
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor