Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2022, 02:20 PM   #1

Joshua Tree inside sites Class A

38 footer DP and toad. I want to stay in the park and try to reserve. I kinda need cell coverage but the "worst" choice for camping is also the best for coverage at least according to what the park says. I do have a booster and tall antenna.
So for reservable spots I see;
Black Rock
Cottonwood
Indian Cove
Jumbo Rock
Ryan
Appreciate any and all suggestions. I know JT is tight but see a lot of big rigs in the pictures.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2022, 03:53 PM   #2

Here's good park and campground information on Joshua:

https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

I think Belle would be the best campground for you in the park with the biggest sites.

Here's an overview of the campgrounds: https://www.campgroundviews.com/list...a%252C%2520USA

We stayed there with our 33' 5th wheel & the site was plenty big for it and our truck but don't recall what site. There were some big pull throughs.

If you need internet you might consider just staying outside the park - perhaps in Twentynine Palms on the north side since you'll only be there a night or two.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:19 PM   #3

You are right on Belle, only snag is they don't take reservations. The only park that seems to have cell coverage is black rock and might as well boondock for free outside by the looks of that park. I sort of was hoping for Jumbo but that is a tight park. They must not want big RV's in there.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:11 PM   #4

I love Joshua Tree and have been several times.
I have stayed at Jumbo Rocks primarily and and can tell the are a few spots you will fit into. A few years ago, Jumbo Rocks changed the max RV size for all the larger sites, to a smaller size. I think because of the challenges driving around the loops. My truck and Trailer combined are about 44ft and I fit in at least two spots with room to spare. Use google maps and the measure function. It works pretty well. Get a spot in Jumbo Rocks is extremely difficult in my opinion. You need to plan in advance, be ready on the day the site you want comes available and be flexible. This year, I was asleep at the wheel when it came time to make my reservation for the spring. I was about a month late and as a result there was zero availability to meet my needs on any date between Mid Feb and Mid April. I will be heading to Anza Borrego State park instead.

I have tried to nab a spot at Belle and had zero luck. I was at staying on Jumbo Rocks for four nights and wanted a few more days in the park. I check Belle everyday and was unable to find a spot.

Jumbo Rocks has zero cell coverage for T-Mobile. I can't say anything about other services. I also have a tall pole (flag pole) and cell booster.

Cottonwood has some large sites and availability seems to better. It is no where near as nice as Jumbo Rocks in my opinion.

Last comment. Jumbo Rocks is over 4000ft. It gets cold there at night in the spring. On one trip there in April, it was in the low 40s at night and the highs were in the mid 50s. There were people there with nothing but shorts and t-shirts. People with a week reservation were showing up, staying one night and heading home. Be prepared.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:50 PM   #5

There seems to be many sites at Black Rock. A few I noticed: #45, 73, 82, 97.

Note that the south part of the park has had some serious flooding in the past so if planning to boondock keep that in mind. Watch the weather.

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campg...ock-canyon-097
Old 11-22-2022, 12:26 AM   #6

Black rock is a little odd because you can't reach any other parts of the park without leaving the park. They do have water and a dump station. Have stayed a few nights at Black Rock. If I remember right you don't pay a fee to enter at Black Rock like the rest of the park. We have showered at an RV park in 29 palms. No showers anywhere is park.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:09 AM   #7

Thanks all for the comments - although Black Rock does advertise good cell coverage it sounds like boondocking level that you pay for. Like twogypsy suggests may be best to just stay outside. Just a note I don't pay to enter Federal Parks, so there is that.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:21 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ice climber, I think you are making the best decision. Belle is fabulous for big rigs, but not much cell and the no-reservations thing means taking pot luck. There are boondocking sites not too far from the park, but I don’t know their cell data status. We have given up on cell data, and we now use a Starlink. So far, so good, but we will see in Quartzsite in January if it can handle congestion!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Ice climber, I think you are making the best decision. Belle is fabulous for big rigs, but not much cell and the no-reservations thing means taking pot luck. There are boondocking sites not too far from the park, but I donít know their cell data status. We have given up on cell data, and we now use a Starlink. So far, so good, but we will see in Quartzsite in January if it can handle congestion!
https://www.campendium.com/joshua-tree-south
I have found these reports to be pretty accurate. I have driven by this spot and it is really nice and spread out also class A friendly. Windy too.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #10

Just be aware of possible flooding at Joshua. Check weather. There have been winter storms along with summer and any time inbetween.

https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/floods.htm

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...n/10288691002/
Old 11-23-2022, 06:07 PM   #11

Black Rock has sites that are big enough and as I recall cell service is good. However, you have a fair drive to get to the main part of Joshua Tree NP and the amenities are pretty marginal. An available dump station and fairly large camp sites, not much of a step up from boondocking. It is warmer than the in park campgrounds however. Cottonwood has sites big enough but is also a long way from most of the interesting parts of JTNP and my memory tells me there was no or minimal cell service. We actually just stay in Palm Desert and do JTNP as a very long day trip. We typically visit only one major site within the park each time we go, and we go at least once every time we go to Palm Desert. Would also echo that it can get very cold in the park at night. The one time we stayed at Cottonwood around New Year's we had freezing issues overnight.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #12

Great stuff everyone thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
We are boondocking in Tombstone right now and sure enough it got down below freezing but no problem for Large Marge.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
Great stuff everyone thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
We are boondocking in Tombstone right now and sure enough it got down below freezing but no problem for Large Marge.
Take the Bisbee mine tour. It's great! Also, Kartchner Caverns.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Take the Bisbee mine tour. It's great! Also, Kartchner Caverns.
Must have to catch that next time, we didn't plan very well for Tombstone and I have to work darn it

Twogypsies - for leaving Joshua Tree and the bucket list item of the Redwoods, please advise best route over to end up on 101 at the right place ?

Tags
class a