RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Joshua Tree NP

We plan to visit Joshua Tree National Park. The only reason to go there is to visit the park. We're not local and we'll travel the from Lake Havasu area to Joshua Tree then the Las Vegas area.

Looking at RV choices in 29 Palms and Joshua Tree and they seem OK but looking over the reviews doesn't seem to revel any hidden gems. Just plain haven't campgrounds and nothing more.

Since our primary reason to go to this area is the National Park....

1. Advice on best campground in 29 Palms or Joshua Tree.
2. Any overwhelming reason to instead stay in Idio or Palm Springs or Cochella.

I'm not inclined to stay as far away as Idio or P'Springs but am open to advice and suggestions.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
We plan to visit Joshua Tree National Park. The only reason to go there is to visit the park. We're not local and we'll travel the from Lake Havasu area to Joshua Tree then the Las Vegas area.

Looking at RV choices in 29 Palms and Joshua Tree and they seem OK but looking over the reviews doesn't seem to revel any hidden gems. Just plain haven't campgrounds and nothing more.

Since our primary reason to go to this area is the National Park....

1. Advice on best campground in 29 Palms or Joshua Tree.

2. Any overwhelming reason to instead stay in Idio or Palm Springs or Cochella.

I'm not inclined to stay as far away as Idio or P'Springs but am open to advice and suggestions.

Thanks.
We boondocked right off the south entrance. It was nice and peaceful. It's about an hour drive from there to most things you want to see in the park.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Last year we stayed at the 28 Palms RV Resort on Amboy road in 29 Palms. It is basic but has full hookups and we spent our days in Joshua Tree exploring, so the park met our needs just fine. Location is convenient to Joshua Tree NP.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #4

We have been 3 times and have always stayed in the park (dry camping). Jumbo Rocks is a great location. We have been in March and April. We also like Anza Borrego State Park which is a hour or two away. A trip to both would be nice.
A few things to keep in mind.
1. The area of JTNP near 29 palms is 4000 ish. It gets cold. One trip there in April, the highs were in the 50s and the lows in the 30s. There were people we saw with nothing but t-shirts and shorts freezing their butts.
2. Watch for wind. We had a trip where the wind was 50 MPH at times. Huge dust clouds blowing through 29 palms.
3. The recreation.gov website recently changed all the larger sites to say the max length is 36 feet. I have stayed in a few different sites and my TT plus TV is 44 feet and I fit easily.
We have another trip there this spring. Can't wait.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:57 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Well I’ve stayed at Emerald Desert (very nice) in Palm Desert and down at FOY. Both are great and close enough for toad exploration, but I’ve also stayed in the park and there were plenty of sites that had enough of room for a class A and toad or 5th wheel. Things might be busier theses days, but if I were just passing through I’d try that first.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Last year we stayed at the 28 Palms RV Resort on Amboy road in 29 Palms. It is basic but has full hookups and we spent our days in Joshua Tree exploring, so the park met our needs just fine. Location is convenient to Joshua Tree NP.
29 Palm was my first choice. Then I went to their website and worried that maybe it is in a bad area of town or something. I'm OK with all the registration rules & such, but it seems the close and lock the CG at night? What's with that?
Old 11-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
29 Palm was my first choice. Then I went to their website and worried that maybe it is in a bad area of town or something. I'm OK with all the registration rules & such, but it seems the close and lock the CG at night? What's with that?
Hmmm, don't know about that. We had zero issues or concerns last year. It was a basic but comfortable feeling place and certainly didn't seem like a "bad" area. Golf course adjacent to the RV park. Maybe give them a call and ask?

Good luck--
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:51 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Hmmm, don't know about that. We had zero issues or concerns last year. It was a basic but comfortable feeling place and certainly didn't seem like a "bad" area. Golf course adjacent to the RV park. Maybe give them a call and ask?

Good luck--
Yes - I agree - it doesn't seem like it would be a bad area and all the reviews are pretty good. Couldn't figure out why the locked gates. Thanks for reassuring me. When I reserve there I'll ask about it.