Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadecool View Post
Unable to edit this post si let me add that we are spending 5 nights prior in West Yellowstone and would be traveling through Idaho on way to Tetons
I'm just trying to get you more sleep that morning. )

If you drive through the park from W. Yellowstone to Gros Ventre it's only 97 miles.

If you go through Idaho be sure not to get on Hwy 22 (Teton Pass). It's a steep downhill. Instead, take 20 to 33 toward Driggs to 31 to 26 to Alpine then north on 89/191 through Jackson to Gros Ventre. That will be 215 miles.

Unless you have a reason to go via Idaho I'd suggest going through the park.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'm just trying to get you more sleep that morning. )

If you drive through the park from W. Yellowstone to Gros Ventre it's only 97 miles.

If you go through Idaho be sure not to get on Hwy 22 (Teton Pass). It's a steep downhill. Instead, take 20 to 33 toward Driggs to 31 to 26 to Alpine then north on 89/191 through Jackson to Gros Ventre. That will be 215 miles.

Unless you have a reason to go via Idaho I'd suggest going through the park.
I thought going through Idaho would get me there quicker vs going through the park. Do you think going going through the park early in the morning will ass time to route?
wadecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:26 PM   #45

Quote:
I thought going through Idaho would get me there quicker vs going through the park. Do you think going going through the park early in the morning will ass time to route?
Hard to tell. If you're leaving early morning I think going through the park and leaving the south exit wouldn't be bad. Early morning you'd have a good chance to see more critters.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #46

We have used the koa in Dubois Wyoming many times on similar trips. Used the toad to tour Tetons (50 miles) and Jackson (another 30). We usually stay In Dubois 2 nights and then drive the rig up to West Yellowstone. It is a beautiful drive. We have done it many times in a 40 ft diesel with toad. Very doable. Park speed limit is 45 mph.
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:20 PM   #47

Driving the Beartooth Highway is not for the faint of heart. This travelog website; owned by Cruzer(a founding member of irv2.com) may be helpful: Beartooth Highway
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
In nine years of going to Gros Ventre I’ve NEVER seen anyone turned away....

Keep in mind that this is a Boondocking CG so it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.....

When we went there in late May of 2017, I arrived on a Sunday to snag one of the electric sites at Gros Ventre Campground. ( for 8 nights) 318 sites / 36 electric sites ($29 for dry sites and $53 for electric sites).

When we arrived at about 11am, only half of the electrics were taken. The dry sites were 10-15% full. Come that weekend Memorial Day), there still were a few electric sites available and the dry sites were about 60-75% full. This was Memorial Day weekend. We left on Memorial Day to enter Yellowstone for a two week stay.

Next visit to Yellowstone I would do the same thing. Gros Ventre is very centrally located to: The Teton Visitor Center, The Gros Ventre Slide , Downtown Jackson.

Make sure you get your reservation for the Bar J Chuckwagon Dinner show....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #49

Should i be concerned with trying to park a dually in the parking lots at the Yellowstone attractions? I have been reading a lot of comments on multiple sites about how crowded the lots can get.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #50

Forest River Owners Club
No problem UNLESS it’s got a 45’ fifth wheel hooked to it..
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
No problem UNLESS it’s got a 45’ fifth wheel hooked to it..
No it won’t. All the horror stories I have read about tight parking in YNP had me concerned.

Now if we can make it from Roosevelt to West Yellowstone on our first night in the dark without hitting a bison...
Old 02-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #52

Quote:
No it won’t. All the horror stories I have read about tight parking in YNP had me concerned.

Now if we can make it from Roosevelt to West Yellowstone on our first night in the dark without hitting a bison...
I'm confused, sorry, but if I drove all the way to Yellowstone National Park to see it, I'd try to see it During the Daylight hours. .

IMHO, seeing the Park by Headlights just will not Work. .

JMHO, .

I must be missing something .

Maybe; .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone sunset.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	234823  
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #53

Quote:
Should i be concerned with trying to park a dually in the parking lots at the Yellowstone attractions? I have been reading a lot of comments on multiple sites about how crowded the lots can get.
Been there done that, several times. You may, depending on crowd size, have to park further away in the parking lot, realizing many people don't care how carefully they park. When school is out, there may not be ANY parking places in the afternoon or evening.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
I'm confused, sorry, but if I drove all the way to Yellowstone National Park to see it, I'd try to see it During the Daylight hours. .

IMHO, seeing the Park by Headlights just will not Work. .

JMHO, .

I must be missing something .

Maybe; .
I gave you less than all the details...
All of our touring will be in daylight but one day we have the Old West Cookout at Roosevelt. When we head back to West Yellowstone it will be dark and we will be making that run in the dark. After reading how a bisons eyes don’t refliect in headlights, generally appear invisible at night, and like to wander in the middle of the road, I may need to bring night vision goggles
Old 02-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #55

Quote:
I gave you less than all the details...
All of our touring will be in daylight but one day we have the Old West Cookout at Roosevelt. When we head back to West Yellowstone it will be dark and we will be making that run in the dark. After reading how a bisons eyes don’t reflect in headlights, generally appear invisible at night, and like to wander in the middle of the road, I may need to bring night vision goggles
Might just get Lucky and catch close to a full Moon -

Those Bison are walking in THEIR Yard . - so Keep all eyes Pealed and enjoy the Trip. .

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #56

Does anyone have experience with Fireside Resort Buffalo Valley? It's location is great for touring the GTNP but it gets horrible reviews across multiple sites.

Tags
yellowstone