Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

June Visit to Grand Canyon

I am putting together a summer trip from Florida, going out west. Already have a route that will take us through Colorado, through Moab, Utah, and then on to the Grand Canyon. Anyone on here care to recommend some good campgrounds in the Grand Canyon area? I see some National Park campgrounds using Google. However, it looks like most of the federal campgrounds are minimal with little or no support facilities. I am getting too old to rough it, and prefer 50 amp electric, with wifi and TV cable. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. Here's a link to some previous threads that will give you some ideas.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gran...earch=irv2.com

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #3

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #4

One more question. We plan on going to Las Vegas after the Grand Canyon. Is there a lot of difference between the North Rim and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon? Have never been there. Which one should I make a "must see". Thanks.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #5

If staying at the South Rim, the best place to stay is Trailer Village inside the park - full hookups. It's near the Rim and the free shuttle stops just outside the RV park entrance. Some will recommend staying in Williams but it's a long boring drive into the park each day along with lines to get into the park and also parking issues once you're in the park. Some take the train from Williams but it only allows a couple hours in the park before your return. Staying inside the park at Trailer Villlage is the best option.

The North Rim is higher elevation and therefore, much cooler. There are RV parks in Jacob Lake (no lake by the way) but it's a good drive to the park itself. Inside the park is dry camping only.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Community Administrator

The North Rim has fewer visitors by far. I've been to both. If you can only get to one , the South Rim may be best.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #7

Trailer village inside the park. They have full hook up. 50 amp. Pretty sure they had cable also. I was just there 2-1-14 for 5 nights. I never use the campgrounds cable. Just use my satalite. I thought the campground was very nice.

North rim is alright to see. Not near as much up there. It is closed during the winter.

If you have the time a trip to the bottom is for sure one of the prettiest places in the USA. There is a procedure to get a permit for taking the trip to the bottom. Check at the Bright Angle Lodge. I went down 2-2-14. Stayed overnight at bottom and back up next day. One of the neatest things I've ever done.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #8

If you will be in Moab, the North Rim is not far off course. The South Rim is popular because it is easy access. But the North is worth the trip for the beauty, as the sun is in front of you instead of behind, so the hues are bluer and the extra altitude provides a unique perspective.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-78061614.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	56793

We camped here, full hook up: http://www.kaibabcampervillage.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1827800974.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	56794  
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
One more question. We plan on going to Las Vegas after the Grand Canyon. Is there a lot of difference between the North Rim and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon? Have never been there. Which one should I make a "must see". Thanks.
You should really see them both. I prefer the North Rim in the dead of Summer cuz it's not as crowded. Just way too many people at the South Rim between Memorial Day and Labor Day in my opinion.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We approached the Canyon from the north side and agree that it was our favorite as well. X2 on Kaibab RV Village and they have your 50 amp service. The north rim has more pull off observation areas that are easier to access IMO. The drive around to the south side was scenic and we stayed in Williams at Canyon Gateway Park...or RV. It was a nice park and close in to town. We made a trip up Bill Williams Mountain, and well worth the rough ride. Good side trip and the view from the mountain was very nice.

Now that Trailer Village has FHU with 50 A service, that would be my choice to stay inside the park...if you can nail down the dates, I'd say you should make your reservations asap.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #11

If you're going to Moab and Las Vegas make sure you drive Utah Hwy 12 and stop at Bryce and Zion NP's. North rim is much cooler and less crowded but not quite the views that you get from the south rim.
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #12

If you have a larger RV driving Highway 12 is a stressful trip. Use your tow car and have a nice time. I have a 38' MH and would not do that drive. There were a few big buses going way to fast for the highway and there were seldom places we could pull over. More than a few steep incline/decline areas with some tight turns.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #13

...and from another...we've driven Hwy 12 with our 40' motorhome numerous times and find it to be one of the most beautiful drives we've done. Everyone is different, for sure.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote