Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #1

Just got snubbed from Castaways Resort MD

Unbelievable, (or maybe it's just me)

Planning a big trip south in July and have reservations from Virgina Beach GOD, Camp Hattereas Resort, Ocean Lakes and Cherry Hill. Just needed a first stop and choose Castaways in Ocean City MD. Tried to book 3 nights online but wanted me to call first. Not many sites left so I called and they told me, unless I book for the entire week, they are not offering anything for the summer. It was suggested I could call back in a month or so to see if there are any table scraps....

Really? and this place is rated high? Guess it went to their heads!

Greedy?
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I spent the weekend after Labor Day, 2013 at Frontier Town because Castaways was too expensive. Had a great time there too.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
I spent the weekend after Labor Day, 2013 at Frontier Town because Castaways was too expensive. Had a great time there too.
Just tried to book online with them as well and cannot select anything under 7 night stay.

Crazy
Old 01-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was able to book a Friday/Saturday/Sunday through Frontier Town last fall. I would give them a call.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
I was able to book a Friday/Saturday/Sunday through Frontier Town last fall. I would give them a call.
Hey thanks, I did and they were very easy to work with. Booked 3 nights with no issue . Appreciate your suggestion!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Love this site Congrats, Did they really say table scraps? How Rude
Thanks for sharing, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Love this site Congrats, Did they really say table scraps? How Rude Thanks for sharing, Tim
No no, they didn't say " table scraps" but that's what it is. Can't say I would recommend the Campsite based on this , no matter how many stars it gets from Woodalls, etc

Yep, love this site!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Balancing maintaining high occupancy / revenue vs. aggravating some potential customers. A business decision. I have run into similar myself.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
In all fairness, this is a really nice park, and it fills quickly. This is not
an overnight stop, it is a destination resort. In the short summer season,
they have to make "when the sun is shinning" as we say down here.
But, if they are not sold out, you may get availability during the week,
on a last minute basis. Or, book a week....you'll love it.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Feels like a snub I am sure but most likely they do not like turning people away. They are successful and need to do this to serve their more long term stay customers. Evidently that crowd is abundant enough that they do not want to turn them away either.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #11

Nuttin' personal...it's bidness.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #12

Is it really different then some campgrounds making you reserve 3-4 nights on Holiday weekends?

Many years ago when I worked on Saturdays this was a pain. We could only go one night (Saturday) but never could reserve a site since it was only one night.

I guess if they can do weekly rentals that is that much less check in and out for them. And if they are booked I guess that are doing something right.

Maybe you could try one of Maryland's great state parks like Pocomoke River State Park, we are headed there this May for a week.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
Nuttin' personal...it's bidness.
Nope; not buying it. Forcing campers to Pay for a week or we don't want you is not good business.

I may have stayed 3 nights this time and I may have returned for a longer stay if I liked it but now they better be nice to their existing summer customers cuz , that's all they will have if they keep that practice going.

Personally, I wont stay anywhere where the customer isn't first. That " don't need you, got tons of customers" approach always comes back to bite ya.

Why not turn awAy customers who don't pay for a month? Or the summer? Or a year? Oh wait, there are already businesses who sell lots ... Castaways? No thanks!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Nope; not buying it. Forcing campers to Pay for a week or we don't want you is not good business.

I may have stayed 3 nights this time and I may have returned for a longer stay if I liked it but now they better be nice to their existing summer customers cuz , that's all they will have if they keep that practice going.

Personally, I wont stay anywhere where the customer isn't first. That " don't need you, got tons of customers" approach always comes back to bite ya.

Why not turn awAy customers who don't pay for a month? Or the summer? Or a year? Oh wait, there are already businesses who sell lots ... Castaways? No thanks!
I can buy some of that.

Years ago we had NASCAR tickets to attend races at Richmond, at that time they made you buy both the spring and summer race along with the IRL race.
Well needless to say we did have "season" tickets but when personal budgetary cuts were needed they were the first to go. Other tracks like Dover you could just buy one race. Now they (Richmond) call and email a couple times a month telling me that great seats are available for any race !

My Brother In Law who passed away two years ago would say "Greedy Rats Get No Cheese"

Good topic. It's great that we live in a country where we can choose.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote